Novare physical science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novare physical science

I would love to have your guidance as it pertains to high school science. My dad is in ninth grade and is currently doing Apologia Biology. We chose this because she had the opportunity to take the lab portion at a local coop this year. Looking ahead to next year I am unsure where to place her. I am not sure her math skills will be up to par for chemistry. She will just be starting algebra II her sophomore year. I thought about the Novare Physical science class that MP offers, but I am confused about the appropriate grade level. The MP information states the class is for 8-10th grade, but the Novare site lists it as a middle school text. Any thoughts or advice?

Melisa

I dislike spell check. My dad is not freshman, but my dear daughter is.

Comment

Physical Science is a middle school
      book. Maybe can be used in 9th if a student really is not ready for high school science. For a 10th grader who has completed algebra 1 don’t use Physical Science. Instead use Introductory Physics. This is a 9th-10th grade level, algebra based, high school physics course.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Good evening Melisa,

A science teacher at HLS Indianapolis, who regularly helps on our forum, has addressed possible uses of Physical Science in a couple different threads. Here's a link to one of her posts:

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...1804#post81804

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you. This is helpful.

Comment

Thank you @Michael and @momgineer - I've had my nagging doubts about Physical Science being ok for 9th grade, and truly "worthy" a full high school science credit, so this is helpful. I will look into Introductory Physics, although it will mess my plans not to have science done online next year!! I wish I had enrolled the kids in PS this year, instead of doing more Tiner (Chemistry, Physics, Biology). It's a bit discouraging how far ahead one has to look, and how much one has to learn well in advance in order to plan sensibly

ETA: I see that the MPOA Physics class actually does use the Introductory Physics book. If Cindy Davis thinks the average student can do it in 9th, I guess I should trust her... as long as Algebra I is taken care of, and has been well understood, I guess there are no other requirements.
            Last edited by Mrs Bee; 10-30-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

We are using Novare Physical Science with my 6th and 7th grade children. I would say that it is for sure a middle school level science program.
              Cathy aka The Attached Mama
              2019-2020
              DS 12, 7th Grade
              DD 11, 6th Grade
              DS 5, K

Comment

Cathy,

I am thinking about using the Physical Science book for my 8th grader next year. Would you mind sharing on your thoughts on this book? Strengths/weaknesses? I appreciate your feedback.

Melisa

Comment

What level of math will he be taking next year? There really isn’t much in the way of math in the first half of the book, but it does incorporate a bit around chapter 7 or so. Unit conversion sort of stuff. I think there is a newer edition than mine, so it may have changed.
                  Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                  DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                  DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                  DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                  DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Physical Science strengths- well written, thorough explanations. Interesting to read. It does a great job of introducing math based science at a middle school level. It is NOT math intensive at all. There is math. It is basic math- unit conversion and density equations. These are things that are in math books anyway so it’s not unexpected. It does a great job of introducing this is a way that leads to mastery. Unit conversions is KEY to upper level science and most science books just gloss over this and expect the student to get it and many don’t grasp it and it causes tons of trouble in chemistry. This course introduces it in a very clear manner and requires mastery. The course is also great at keeping key ideas in their mind and ensuring they maintain mastery all year. Finally- it has a great way of presenting the philosophy of science- what science IS and IS NOT. I love it.
                    Weaknesses- the teacher support is not the best. Answers are awkward to find. The mastery style quizzes take a bit to get used to implementing. Labs can be teacher intensive and expensive (good news is they are not super important)
                    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                    DS, 21, chemistry major
                    DS, 18, Physics major
                    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Dorinda,

He will be taking Pre-Algebra, so it sounds like the math might be okay.

Debbie,

Thank you for your review. It does sound like a good text. I love that it teaches mastery instead of just glossing over a ton of different science topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa Burke View Post
                        Cathy,

I am thinking about using the Physical Science book for my 8th grader next year. Would you mind sharing on your thoughts on this book? Strengths/weaknesses? I appreciate your feedback.

Melisa
                        Hi Melissa,

I really like Novare so far! It reminds me a lot of other Memoria Press products in that lessons and readings are "bite sized" and manageable, and there is also a lot of drill and writing practice.

Last year we tried to use the Physical Science book/lesson plan set from Kolbe, and I didn't like that text book at all. I found the explanations very vague and unnessarily confusing, and I had to supplement these explanations with various science readings from our home library. (Which added extra time to to the already heavy lesson plans.). The book was also HUGE so it felt a bit like drinking from a fire hose. Half way through the year, I could tell that my son was not retaining the information even though he was getting As and Bs on the tests. That is why I am having him repeat Physical Science this year with his sister. For the record: I like the Novare book much better. Very age appropriate for this level. (Not so appropriate for high school IMHO!).

I also like how they introduce math in a middle school science book. I personally think the math is VERY age appropriate for a middle school student and will set them up for success in future science classes. I think the math is VERY light if used as a high school class, but again, the book is not intended for high school.

Cons:
                        I do find Novare a bit hard to grade. The assignments and the quizzes are VERY writing intensive. And I always find myself questioning if my kids included enough information in their answers. The answer key exists, but for some reason it feels more difficult to check than a standard Memoria Press teacher guide comprehension question key. (Maybe it is just me?) If you plan to teach this course at home, you will have to read the book with your kids or at least alongside them. Don't expect to be able to assign and check if you don't know this information yourself.

Another con might be the labs. I like the Novare labs in THEORY, but I find them especially difficult to pull off at home. Cindy Davis very kindly sent me her modified labs, and they were a great help!
                        Disclaimer: I will add that I personally find science labs difficult to get to in general. Not just with Novare, but in all homeschool science courses. (Again, maybe it is just me?) I think the problem (for me at least) is that I have multiple ages and stages going at once. The result is that I often look like a crazy circus performer spinning plates running back and forth between kids! (Seriously, I totaled up the number of actual courses I am teaching this year, and the list was staggering. Way more than a typical teacher would ever be asked to teach!) So labs become an easy thing to just skip. I start the year off with great intentions, get really busy, and find myself skipping labs. Reading, writing, and study are much easier to pull off for some reason during the school year. My solution: Complete our book reading and study during the school year, and then do a lab intensive in the summer. This is not a perfect solution because I am sure doing the labs as we read about the material would be more beneficial...but it is where we are at at this stage in the game! (For the record, we will order and complete the QSL's Middle School Physical Science kit this summer...and maybe some light lab reports using a template.). I plan to do the same thing when I teach the Modern Biology book next year using the Memoria Press lesson plans.

Also---Typing before coffee--so hopefully my rambled thoughts make some sense.
                        2019-2020
                        DS 12, 7th Grade
                        DD 11, 6th Grade
                        DS 5, K

Comment

TheAttachedMama - Cathy! Novare has the answers to the Learning Check questions online! After spending a year muddling through on my own, I found them. I went ahead and printed them out and made a comb-bound book, of sorts, since I have multiple kiddos who will use them. See this thread: https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...eady-know-this

I agree that labs are just hard when you have different-age kids in the house and you're trying to juggle different subjects. I went through Earth and Physical science and picked the labs I knew we could do and that would add value to their studies. If you buy from Home Science Tools (not a rep or in any way affiliated), they have a chart that will allow you to pick and choose every item you need for Novare experiments, organized by experiment number - super helpful!
                          Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Yes, I have the learning check answers printed too. (They are on the resource CD that you can buy too.). But I still find them hard to grade. I am always questioning whether my children's answers are complete enough.
                            2019-2020
                            DS 12, 7th Grade
                            DD 11, 6th Grade
                            DS 5, K

Comment

Working...
                            X