Video Text Algebra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Text Algebra

I’ve been looking at this program for next year for my daughter who will be in 8th grade. I’m wondering how it’s scheduled in the curriculum guide? Looks like Classics is still on the sample page of the manual. Since this program is a “complete” course for Pre-Alg, Alg I and Alg II, would one just purchase the modules for Algebra I? If I’m understanding correctly, it seems that the book list on the 8th page only lists a few modules for the year.

She is currently taking Pre-Alg through MPOA so we wouldn’t need the whole “complete” course.

Also, those that are using this program now, how do you like it? You can PM if you’d like. If have all the materials for Classics I and II (so I hesitate to switch)..I put the blinders on and didn’t bother to look at this program at Sodalitas. I wish I would have given it more consideration as I’m not sure MPOA Alg will be an option next year and Ive realized I just plain stink at teaching math! My son and I are attempting Alg II at home with the streaming videos..LOVE Cindy Davis..And while I can understand enough to get by, I am terrible at communicating or explaining when he is stuck.

So, first of all, how are these courses scheduled? And secondly, if you’ve made the switch..how’s it going??
    Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
    DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
    DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
    DD 9: 4th using 3A
    Twin DD's 7: 1st

Hi Katie,

I can only speak as a mother using the program, not to how MP will handle the switch.

I had met and then chatted with Mr. Clark at several homeschooling conventions and always liked VideoText; however, I never made the leap because I had everything scheduled through MP. When we had trouble getting the PH Classics books and dd wouldn't be able to continue with MPOA classes, I decided to move forward with VideoText. (Coincidentally, it was right around the time MP had made the same switch - and I had no idea! It was a real ego boost for me, finding out my thinking was aligned with the intellectual giants at the MP Mother Ship.) I made the switch this summer and dd began her lessons in July.

My dd had already taken prealgebra with Mr. Thomas through the MPOA and was slated to begin algebra I this year; however, Mr. Clark recommended I start her at the beginning of VideoText and just move through at a quicker pace. I balked at this suggestion but since I'd purchased at a convention in the summertime, I decided it wouldn't hurt to put her through review and then begin more or less where she left off in the fall. The approach is very different from anything I've seen and I'm really glad I had her do the review. It is the neatest thing - she thinks about math differently and she really seems to understand the "why" behind the "how" when working formulas and using mathematical language. For kids coming out of prealgebra, I would highly recommend going through the entire series and not starting in the middle. The terms used and the approach to formulas is different from the way most textbooks tackle these subjects. Mr. Clark gives a great outline of this in the introductory video and on his website. (I get nothing for telling you this, btw. I just think he's a neat guy.)

My ds12 started at the beginning this fall - he was ready for prealgebra and I just decided to start him with the same program. He, too, is doing really well and likes the program.

Here's how they're handling the series so far:

DD14 (Algebra I - going through the review, too) - DAY 1: Watch the video lesson and do the odds. DAY 2: If she scored 100% on odds and can explain the lesson to me, she takes Quiz A. If 90 - 100% on the quiz she then watches the next lesson and does the odds...and so on.

DS12 (Prealgebra) - DAY 1: Watch the video lesson and do the odd problems. DAY 2: Do the evens - if 90 - 100% for both, he'll then take Quiz A. DAY 3: he'll watch the next lesson and do the odds...and repeat in this manner.

If at any point they don't do well on the odd problems and it appears to be an issue with understanding the material, the kids will either go back to their notes or re-watch the video lesson...then do the even problems. Similar with a quiz - if they don't do well on a quiz, they'll re-watch the lesson and then take Quiz form B. (Each kiddo only had this happen once - and that was in the beginning when they were getting used to the style of the quizzes).

Memoria Press does have lesson plans for Unit I, sections A - C. They are SUPER helpful and far less confusing than my fumbling description. Also, There are very simple plans outlined on the VideoText website that go from Algebra through Geometry.

Now. All that being said, I do not know how this would be handled for a student coming out of Algebra I. I am lucky because my kids were either just entering or just leaving prealgebra, so it was no biggie to do the review - which, again, I feel is very important because of the way the material is presented. I'm sure MP has worked this out and I'll be interested in hearing how they'll handle this. :-)
    Last edited by Mary; 10-17-2019, 10:38 AM.
    Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Katie - I typed a long response but it's stuck in "suspected SPAM" land because I edited one too many times (I blame undercaffeination for my lack of clarity and need to clean up...repeatedly). Hopefully the mods will see it and re-post it soon!
      Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
        I’m wondering how it’s scheduled in the curriculum guide? Looks like Classics is still on the sample page of the manual.
        Good afternoon Katie,

Prentice Hall Classics is still in the curriculum manual, so I've attached a sample of the individual VideoText lesson plans to this post.

HTH!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Michael; 10-17-2019, 01:01 PM.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
          Now. All that being said, I do not know how this would be handled for a student coming out of Algebra I. I am lucky because my kids were either just entering or just leaving prealgebra, so it was no biggie to do the review - which, again, I feel is very important because of the way the material is presented. I'm sure MP has worked this out and I'll be interested in hearing how they'll handle this. :-)
          I forgot to address this in my earlier post! I spoke with our VideoText expert, and if a student struggled with Algebra I, we would recommend starting at the beginning to rebuild a firm foundation. If the student did well in Algebra I, the unit tests throughout the course can be used as placement exams to determine where to start. And of course, you can always call for placement advice.

HTH!
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I forgot to address this in my earlier post! I spoke with our VideoText expert, and if a student struggled with Algebra I, we would recommend starting at the beginning to rebuild a firm foundation. If the student did well in Algebra I, the unit tests throughout the course can be used as placement exams to determine where to start. And of course, you can always call for placement advice.

HTH!
            Micheal,
            Thanks for the sample plans and speaking with your expert! I will likely just start him from the beginning with a quicker pace and slow it down when it's needed. I don't think it will hurt one bit to "over-learn" the material.
            Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
              Katie - I typed a long response but it's stuck in "suspected SPAM" land because I edited one too many times (I blame undercaffeination for my lack of clarity and need to clean up...repeatedly). Hopefully the mods will see it and re-post it soon!
              Good morning, Mary!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I've been wanting to respond but...life I'm so glad its working for your family! Thanks for providing the format you follow. This seems like a good plan, especially for my daughter next year. Even though I am having an internal battle with starting from the beginning with my Sophomore, this is what we will likely do and just speed things up until we hit hiccups. I am determined to help him feel good about mastering the material and then hopefully re-building some confidence. I am looking forward to it for myself as well! Maybe by the time my little people are in higher math, it'll be smooth sailing. ha.

I scored a "like new" complete set on ebay for less than half..so that really sealed the deal.

Beware: I may be back with more questions once we get started.

God bless your weekend!
              Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP

Comment

We switched to VT this year with my Sophomores. They have both struggled with math and then had to retake pre-Algebra freshman year due to a teaching fail on my part.

Here’s the thing: the entire course can be done in one year (pacing for 1-3 years is given on VT’s website.) And it still gets credits for Algebra I and Algebra II. This was a major sell for my 15yo as it means he’ll get in a year of higher math when before he was only going to get through Geometry.

Both of my boys are liking the format and explanations. And
                we don’t really feel like we’re having to work double time even at the one year pace.

If you bought used, depending on your kids’ math progress, it might be worth paying for VT’s help line access. Access is included when you buy direct, but I think it’s only $99 if you have a set from elsewhere.
                Jennifer
                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
                MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
                MPOA: High School Comp. II
                HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
                MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
                MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
                HSC: Modern European History

DS12
                7M with:
                Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
                SC Level 4

DD9
                3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
                Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                SC Level C

Comment

I am taking notes here. Short Rant to follow. Thank you so much for posting about this....I know it's a bit early to plan, but I am pretty good with math...but only after failing it...Utterly Failing...in pre-algebra. I was in a school transition and missed some key aspect of the class in the first few weeks of 7th because I had been placed in the wrong class. Missing that one element sent me on a spiral of failing and having to take it again in 8th, Algebra 1 in 9th, Geometry over the summer (from a teacher who actually slept in the class), and then finally landing back on the track I wanted in 10th with Algebra 2. If you guys have found a program that will make comprehension more complete, I'm all for following in your footsteps.

I kid you not, it was one single piece of information that f(x) will behave effectively the same way as "y" (which was only the starting point of understanding the graphs and even this explanation is too simplistic). I couldn't understand the relationship about what f(x) actually was, what i was supposed to do with it, and my textbook was awful. I still hate that teacher - Mrs. Pulaski....and her leather skirt too... She hated me too and didn't bother to hide it. She didn't think I deserved to be in her class (she told me publicly), and wasn't surprised I was struggling and failing - oh public school teacher shaming...you have to love it .... She tried to put me into remedial math the following year and was furious when she was overruled because my standardized test scores put me in the 99% for my grade. The following year, when I re-started the class, I was taught that crucial piece of information, and all of a sudden, everything just fell into place, and math became a thing of beauty. I love math. Miss one little thing though.....

I gave this rant for anyone who struggles with these math courses for their kids. The fact that you are trying so hard, and putting this much thought and effort into it is inspiring. You truly want the mastery and when I read about it, it makes me smile and know that I am in the company of incredible people. So I'm taking notes from you guys marching ahead of me.

Bravo Mamas.
                  Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                  DS (MP2) - 7/8
                  DS (K) - 6
                  DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Melissa ,

Why on earth were functions in Pre-algebra? That is usually more an intro in algebra and covered more throughly in algebra 2. I am sorry about your teacher. She sounds like a treasure. I am sure with a teacher like that and a bad book, there might have been a few issues fixed and clarified the second time around.
                    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                      Melissa ,

Why on earth were functions in Pre-algebra? That is usually more an intro in algebra and covered more throughly in algebra 2. I am sorry about your teacher. She sounds like a treasure. I am sure with a teacher like that and a bad book, there might have been a few issues fixed and clarified the second time around.
                      You did get a new teacher the second time, didn’t you?
                      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

...and her name. Pulaski. I immediately thought of the wildland firefighting tool....a Pulaski. It's a two headed tool designed to chop AND dig. Seems her name was incredibly apprapoe. A two-headed teacher that chopped and dug at her students...oh the irony!
                        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I did get a new teacher the following year - Mrs. Lang, and God bless that woman's sweet heart. She was amazing. She even had the school open it's doors a half hour early so that students could come in and get extra math practice before 1st period. She used the time (her prep time) to allow us to play math games, drills, chalk board work, etc. If all schools screened for Mrs. Lang's, and screened out of Mrs. Pulaski's, then we would all have more schooling options. It's just amazing. One makes you believe you are just "bad at math", and the other just kindly, yet firmly, doesn't quit until you master it.

Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                          DS (MP2) - 7/8
                          DS (K) - 6
                          DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
                            I did get a new teacher the following year - Mrs. Lang, and God bless that woman's sweet heart. She was amazing. She even had the school open it's doors a half hour early so that students could come in and get extra math practice before 1st period. She used the time (her prep time) to allow us to play math games, drills, chalk board work, etc. If all schools screened for Mrs. Lang's, and screened out of Mrs. Pulaski's, then we would all have more schooling options. It's just amazing. One makes you believe you are just "bad at math", and the other just kindly, yet firmly, doesn't quit until you master it.
                            I have found that some of those that make people feel that they are bad at math aren’t so hot at it themselves. I wish I could remember my algebra teacher’s name. He was pretty cool. My math teachers were all pretty good, it was the physics teachers that left much to be desired.
                            Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Working...
                            X