Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Astronomy Online

Hello!

Does anyone know of a classically-minded high school online astronomy class? There is one offered by the Potter School, but we are looking to see what else may be out there. Thank you!
    Ally

Evan: 11th grade, MPOA
    Rachel: 10th grade, MPOA
    Katie: 9th grade, mix of MPOA & HOD

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

The Classical Learning Resource Center (CLRC) offers a one-semester Astronomy course. They are a classical online school where my dd takes Latin reading and Ancient Greek. I do not have any experience with this particular course, but we've had good experiences with Latin and Greek. You can see it here: https://www.clrconline.com/astronomy/ (Mods! Please remove if posting outside links is not okay!)

My kids really enjoyed MP Astronomy and have often asked if MP has any other materials. I'm not sure, though, if that is something for which there is a demand. I'd be curious to know if Astronomy is a science course that colleges look upon favorably as a science elective? (Paging Cindy in Indy!) That is not to say that a student should not take such a course, just wondering - especially since I have a kiddo who has always been interested in that sort of thing. I have often wondered if an Astronomy course might be an appropriate addition alongside, say, physics or physical science.
    Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Thank you so much for the information! It is something we are exploring because my son wants to be a history teacher/professor with possible minors in classical studies, biblical studies and the like. He enjoys science but it will not be his “thing”. He wants to do further study in astronomy (which is part of the quadrivium after all!) so I told him we’d explore that idea and see what is out there for his 4th year of high school science. We’ll need to look at the pros and cons like you mentioned!
      Ally

Comment

I am just dipping my toe into the world of high school and it boggles my mind how careful one must be to get enough credits, the "right" credits... *sigh* I wonder, though, if a robust astronomy course might be a good option for that 4th science credit. Since that particular course I mentioned is only one semester, I'm not sure if the instructor might offer any sort of one-on-one second semester option for further study in order to round out that credit. Again, I am a newbie. Others should really give you advice while I listen and learn.
        Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Has your son already taken a class in the basic bio, chem, physics? If so, then I would say that with a history type major he is probably ok taking whatever he wants for a fourth year of science. I am still working on my oldest for college prep, but I see more schools that want four years of math than want four years of science. Top competitive colleges are a different story entirely. I would really recommend checking out a couple of colleges that he is interested in applying to. Most will have a recommendation online as to what they are looking for in their freshman applicants. If you can’t find it online, then give them a call.
          Dorinda

For 2019-2020
          DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
          DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
          DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
          DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Yes, that is wise advice. He actually has a “pre” interview this Thursday with a Hillsdale rep so I told him to be sure and ask him about it. I feel like this is an area where he could/should pursue a preference (especially given what he wants to study and his other long-term goals). His science is not super strong though: Physical Science, Biology, and Chemistry. Maybe he should do straight up non-vector Physics his senior year, *sigh*. I’m a realist about the “hoops” regarding college prep and I understand why certain core classes are important but it can be pretty constraining.
            Ally

Comment

Check out experienceastronomy.com sounds pretty cool. They have a high school level course in addition to elementary. Online videos with outside readings and assignments from a classical Christian worldview.
              Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
              DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
              DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
              Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
              Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                I am just dipping my toe into the world of high school and it boggles my mind how careful one must be to get enough credits, the "right" credits... *sigh* I wonder, though, if a robust astronomy course might be a good option for that 4th science credit. Since that particular course I mentioned is only one semester, I'm not sure if the instructor might offer any sort of one-on-one second semester option for further study in order to round out that credit. Again, I am a newbie. Others should really give you advice while I listen and learn.
                I'm dipping toes in as well, and honestly, it's frustrating. I have half a mind to say, "To heck with all of this" and just do what I want, a la The Bartleby Project. I'm tired of rules and hoops.

Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

kikirev3 Over on the WTM forums, they've discussed high school astronomy --- you can look at some of their ideas here.
                  Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                  DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                  DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Scholars Online has a year-long course. https://www.scholarsonline.org/Info/science.php
                    Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

It’s not online, but in light of his plans/interests, Signs and Seasons with accompanying field guide by ClassicalAstronomy.com might be of interest. Less “the sun is x million miles away” and more “here’s why we see the moon during the day.”
                      2018-19:
                      Daughter 5M
                      Daughter 3A
                      Son SC C

HighlandsLatin.org/Bentonville

Comment

Thank you as well Dianna, bean, and whippoorwill! I am pursuing your recommendations :-)
                        Ally

Comment

Working...
                        X