Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latin Plan after AP (and a question about the Virgil year)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin Plan after AP (and a question about the Virgil year)

Forgive the repeat line of questioning but I can't find the previous thread on this.

What are you all doing for kids who need a year or more of Latin after AP? My oldest will do AP with MPOA in 11th but there's currently nothing after that. I can hope for a 12th grade translation course (that would be awesome!) but in case that doesn't happen, what resources are out there to consider?

Another question is this: Is there a way to read Virgil that isn't an AP offering? Unless you just wanted that on a transcript or wanted the AP credit for college, it seems like there might be other ways to approach that year from a classical studies perspective. Ideas? I am limited to what I can afford and schedule. Sending my kid away to the Great Knock isn't an option. Ha!

I don't know that this will effect my subsequent children as we've slowed the Latin pace a little overall.

Staff: Feel free to simply get me that other thread and I'll read up about what everyone already shared.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Jessica,

You might want to look at Bolchazy-Carducci's site. We have used these Legamus readers before (for Ovid, not Vergil), and they aren't too challenging. And I see they have a Vergil for Beginners course, but I don't know anything about it. I can't seem to link more than one thing here, but if you go to bolchazy.com and type Aeneid in the search bar, lots of books come up, and it is on the 2nd page.

Tanya
    Vergil: A LEGAMUS Trans Reader,,Vergil: A LEGAMUS Transitional Reader,978-0-86516-578-6,Latin,At Press,

Comment

I think you could do the Virgil resource from AP Latin (I think the website Tanya linked offers a teacher’s manual) or you could use Henle 4. I know Kolbe used to have lesson plans for that....not sure if they still do. I know way back I posted some of the Latin recommendations from LCC. I could dig that up later. I think I might look at Lukeion again, they have self paced options for post AP or I may try to investigate any dual enrollment around here. That seems like the least likely option.
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

pickandgrin, is this what you were looking for?

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...after-ap-latin
        2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
        S - 5, K @ home and HLN
        D - 3, rising through minor leagues quickly
        S - 2, the master of disasters

Comment

pickandgrin, or this one?

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...after-ap-latin
          2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
          S - 5, K @ home and HLN

Comment

Thanks for digging up the links!
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

Beorn Thanks! Apparently your search skills far exceed mine! Mom2mthj I'll be following that other post with you. I would love anything Mrs. Cutrer is willing to do, should that ever be a possibility.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Comment

Glad I could be of help in some small way. I've learned so much and been blessed here at this forum (and HLS, HLN, Sodalitas, etc.), I just want to help where I can. #GooglePower
                2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
                S - 5, K @ home and HLN

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn View Post
                  Glad I could be of help in some small way. I've learned so much and been blessed here at this forum (and HLS, HLN, Sodalitas, etc.), I just want to help where I can. #GooglePower
                  So do tell--do you Google Forum threads in a separate web search or do you use the search function here? Coach me!
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                  S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                  D · 8th
                  D · 5th
                  S · 2nd

Comment

I do not use the search forums feature here, as it is not as strong as Google's. With the last software upgrade to the forum, the search functions got weaker, at least in my limited finite opinion. Not an admin, just a user, so I don't know all the ins and outside of how it is set up here.

To do a search and if you have confidence in what phrase you are searching for, head over to Google and type the following:

site:forum.memoriapress.com +"latin after AP"

if you are NOT confident in the phrase, remove the +"" and just make it the following:

site:forum.memoriapress.com latin after AP

Hope that helps some.
                    2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
                    S - 5, K @ home and HLN

Comment

I knew there was one additional choice I had found recently....
                      https://www.clrconline.com/high-school-latin-vi/
                      Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                        I knew there was one additional choice I had found recently....
                        https://www.clrconline.com/high-school-latin-vi/
                        Dorinda,

I can personally vouch for the CLRC program. I started my oldest in the children's Latin program 10 years ago, before I found MP. The Latin/Greek director is a personal friend and an excellent teacher. Nota bene: she uses Classical Pronunciation and not Ecclesiastical, so when reading aloud, a student accustomed to Ecclesiastical may have a bit of an adjustment period.

DD14 has been in CLRC HS Latin IV for the past 2 years. She is currently in her 3rd year (the works rotate each year - Cicero, Vergil, Caesar, et al - and, if a student has the time, it is great to take the translation class more than once).
                        Our plan is for her to take AP Latin next year, then Latin VI (college level) readings her junior and senior years. She is concurrently enrolled in the CLRC Ancient Greek class and really likes it. HTH.
                        Last edited by Michael; 09-13-2019, 11:32 AM.
                        Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

For some strange reason, I am unable to edit my post. I misspoke - AP Latin is considered "Latin V" and continued Latin beyond that is "Latin VI" through the CLRC.

Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                            For some strange reason, I am unable to edit my post. I misspoke - AP Latin is considered "Latin V" and continued Latin beyond that is "Latin VI" through the CLRC.
                            Fixed for you!
                            Michael
                            Memoria Press

Comment

Michael - you are the best! Thanks so much!
                              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
                              X