Upper level Christian Studies sequence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper level Christian Studies sequence

I would like to understand the reason behind the different choices at this level among the standard/accelerated track and what is actually taught at Highlands Latin School. My head is spinning and need guidance on the best sequence. Thanks!
    ***4A and 7A cores for 2019-2020***

Hello.

We slowed down the HLS pace when we realized that there were so many differences in what could be accomplished at home vs. a classroom where the teacher is teaching the same material to every student and teaching it year after year. After feedback from the homeschool world, we decided on a slower track for the homeschool market. And it turns out that many schools are also more comfortable with this slower pace.

We left math, writing, and spelling at grade level, but we moderated everything else beginning in 3rd grade. So basically, we take 2 years to complete States &Capitals, Latin, Greek Myths, Christian Studies I, and English Grammar Recitation that HLS completes in one year.

This means that when you get to the upper grades, you are basically a year behind the HLS curriculum in these subjects. In the end, for a subject like Christian Studies, you can pick and choose what you want to do. And your student will have read and studied more than the other students he/she goes to college with, even if you are on the moderated track and miss a year.

Tanya

Comment

Thanks, Tanya. I'm looking ahead towards 8th grade (accelerated), I see that they'll use "The Story of Christianity", but at HLS, they'll study "Intertestamental Period: excerpts from Josephus and Acts of the Apostles (Bible)". What books are used to teach these two at HLS?

Comment

We haven't published the Intertestamental Reader yet. We are still working on it. But it will be MP created. We have a study guide for Josephus and one for the Book of Acts.

At HLS, we do Story of Christianity in 9th. You could really do either. One isn't more difficult than the other, I don't believe. Josephus is a little hard to take thematically because it is all about war and the ravages of it.

Tanya

Comment

Do I understand correctly that Story of Christianity is taught in addition to The History of the Church, The Early Church, and Early Christian Writings?

Comment

​MG_,
            My oldest did Story of Christianity in 8th and then Josephus/Acts in 9th. With my next kiddo I'm flipping that order and doing Acts/Josephus in 8th and then Story of Christianity in 9th. I'll be able to tell you how that works out in two years! Ha! My reasoning is that Acts is a piece of cake and makes a nice pairing with the amount of 8th grade work otherwise. Josephus in the spring parallels her reading of the Aeneid and follows a year of Homer, so war will be nothing new.

Back to my oldest, I'm letting Divine Comedy (which is his full year literature selection) double as Christian Studies this year in 10th. We do lit at cottage school so this is a good fit. My plan for the next two years is to do City of God in 11th and then the Lewis/Chesteron/Kreeft readings in 12th, both at home with me overseeing. I would like to do Eusebius as well and actually own the set, but in high school things are getting really full. We have state requirements that require more time than brain space, but they must be done. I want to keep on the path of doing fewer things and doing them well rather than cramming in. If I can't read along at home then it's not going to be done well.

I hope you find a path that is a good fit for you and your kids!

ETA: There is a really cool illustrated version of The Story of Christianity which you can buy used very affordably. It has lovely art and illustrations included with the text. I got one in hardback for under $10. I highly recommend it!
            Last edited by pickandgrin; 08-06-2019, 12:04 PM.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
            @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
            D · 8th
            D · 5th
            S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Jessica,
              Thank you for taking the time to share your plans! I'm very pleased with the foundation that CSI-IV have given my 7th grader that I did not want to deviate from MP/HLS plans for the coming grades. Your suggestions are super helpful since I did not see any plans for the 10th grade-accelerated yet. I appreciated it very much.

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                ​There is a really cool illustrated version of The Story of Christianity which you can buy used very affordably. It has lovely art and illustrations included with the text. I got one in hardback for under $10. I highly recommend it!
                This...If you are doing The Story of Christianity, please try to find this book...My oldest did this, and the illustrated book is so much better...How I wish MP could get that book for all of you, but I know that Tanya has tried...
                Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                DS -18 (9/4/00) Graduated from homeschool
                DS -14 (9/9/04)
                DS -13 (7/3/06)

Comment

Originally posted by MG_ View Post
                  Do I understand correctly that Story of Christianity is taught in addition to The History of the Church, The Early Church, and Early Christian Writings?
                  Good afternoon,

Tanya is out of the office, so please excuse my jumping in: The Story of Christianity is the only text used for Christian Studies in 9th grade at HLS. Their progression will always differ slightly from our packages, regular and accelerated, simply because they have master teachers for all subjects who can move a class through material in a different order and at a different pace than is feasible, let alone desirable, for a homeschooler.

HTH!
                  Last edited by Michael; 08-07-2019, 11:39 AM. Reason: hit "post reply" too quickly :)
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                  X