No announcement yet.

A Restart on the College Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am confused. Why did your husband bring up CC?
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Oh, sorry, Dorinda - that wasn’t clear, was it?

I had brought up several different outside school options to dh earlier in the year, trying to address what this child seemed to really be needing. This was not a recent need but rather something we have struggled over for the last two years already. But money is always an issue, you know? Is this truly a “need,” or a “gosh, it would be nice if,” or just a “want.” At that time, we decided to keep on our current path for the time being.

But the restlessness remained for this kid. Which, don’t get me wrong, is definitely a part of this age no matter what. But I thought maybe it would ease the waiting if we helped him narrow down his plan for after homeschooling - hence the seemingly constant questions about how to help your teens figure this out!

But as I shared, I didn’t feel like we were getting anywhere. I don’t know why the order of events went the way it did yesterday, but for some reason, having the practice test results was finally able to shift the conversation toward the idea that giving this kid “more” may be an actual “need” rather than just a teenage “want.” It gave facts to what previously had just been motherly concern that there’s something missing for him.

Everyone has had such good advice about how to discern direction, but we couldn’t figure out how to find those opportunities - and not for lack of prayer and effort! Having something new to try and see what opportunities come from it helps with staying hopeful that he will eventually find his way!!!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

CC = Community College or Classical Conversations?
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Community college. Ours has a program called Early Admissions that allows 16 year olds+ to take classes as both high school and for college credit, depending on the class.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

I have nothing to add, clearly, but I always read these and was confused by “cc”. I figured it was NOT Classical Conversations but did not want to assume anything! The CC’s here take you at 15. I have heard lots of positives and there is a “homeschool” coordinator!
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Christine,
              its always good to have the ideas rolling around long before they are needed! But then there are always still surprises when it’s your turn!

AMDG,
              Sarah
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 7.5
              DD, 5.5
              +DS+
              DS, 18 months