Mp 8/9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mp 8/9

Hello! I usually post in the Simply Classical forum, so thank you for letting me "pop over".

We used MP Core 8 with customizations for my daughter (14) last year. In January, we had to evacuate our home due to toxic mold. Ever since then it's been very challenging for her to do the full core, so she just worked on what she could, with emphasis on math & writing, and her music.

A year ago in May, she was diagnosed with Juvenile Glaucoma. This May, she was diagnosed with non-celiac gluten Intolerance. Three weeks ago, on referral from the Gastroenterologist, the child psychiatrist diagnosed her with generalized anxiety. Poor baby.

We are considering a relocation to a city where there is a co-op that offers Greek Immersion & Byzantine Chant. My daughter loves piano and plays in the youth orchestra here. She was going to take a 3-year music theory course from the music school she plays with. Whether we move or not, I'd like to tailor a high school curriculum for her that is complete but accommodates all of the practice time and her tendency for anxiety.

Also, if we relocate, I may have to buy a music theory curriculum, if one exists?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by GraceEllen; 07-02-2019, 06:53 PM.
    expat mama south of the border
    DD (14) tba...
    DS (10) SC4
    DS2 (7) SC1
    DS3 (4) SCB

Hi Grace Ellen, I have nothing to offer on most of your questions, but I do know of a music theory program, because our homeschool music co-op uses it. It's here. http://www.theorytime.com/

It's a workbook based program but I think it has some helps on the website. Our group starts all new students at level three, regardless of grade, and only goes through about level 5 or 6, which gets into the circle of fifths and key signatures. It does have higher levels, but I have not seen them. Good luck with your other decisions!

Comment

We are almost done with Alfred’s Complete. It’s worth a year’s high school credit if you do the whole thing and a semester if you do the first two sections. I’m on my phone, so I can’t link it right now, but there’s a TE with an audio CD. We found the third section did require a few questions to her music teacher.
      Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Good morning!
        It sounds like your young person is learning early that life can offer a lot of challenges! I hope that a transition to a new city will go smoothly for you, if you decide to make that change.

I am glad others have offered suggestions for music theory for you...I think this is the one Bean means:
        https://www.alfred.com/alfreds-basic...k-1/p/00-5753/

And this is the one that we use, which our piano instructor (college professor at a music conservatory) likes a lot:
        https://pianoadventures.com/browse/l...no-adventures/

As for your high school question, I am not sure what question to answer for you. I have my third homeschooled high schooler starting this fall, so I have been down the road of planning several times now and it's a very individualized thing in a lot of ways. MP has given me the framework of what I want them to cover in high school through their curriculum and suggested scope and sequence (if you don't know it, check out the Highlands Latin School website) but each one of my children has done things in a slightly different combination - to emphasize strengths, to strengthen weaknesses, to address timing issues, and to take into account work habits and outside activities. When I think back to my own time in high school, the number of different ways of completing high school was pretty high based on what was offered and what people decided to take. Despite the hundreds of kids in my "class," there were only ten of us that took the same path I took - and we knew that because we all had the exact same schedule!

To begin with the best thing is to get a sense of the "big picture" - that is, what your end goals are, such as "How far does she want to get in Latin? What's a realistic plan for getting there? Where should she get in Math? in Science? What literature should we cover?" Usually, putting end marks out there as your goals, and then backing up from there is a good way to begin in order to figure out what should be done this year.

But as far as helping it be non-anxiety producing, well, that's part of what you take into consideration as you plan for her, but it can be a difficult thing for us to know how to answer unless you were willing to share a bit more about your daughter. Each of our children have different thresholds based on their own abilities and challenges, so even in our own house the "high school plan" looks a bit different from one child to the next.

One thing you could do is to sketch something out and share it with us. We would be happy to take a look at it and offer tips and suggestions based on our experiences.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 7.5
        DD, 5.5
        +DS+
        DS, 18 months

Comment

We had no power thanks to a storm that went through last night. Now I have all my computer and other modern conveniences back. Yay! I can get by without a lot, but a hot shower does much to improve my disposition.

Our book looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essen...s%2C225&sr=8-3

Answers/ cd: https://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essen...gateway&sr=8-4

I will echo what Sarah says. Start at the end and work your way back to 9th grade. How many courses can your daughter handle in a year/ at a time? Make a grid of that times four. Put in the "must dos" first, then the "want to do" stuff next, and finally fill in with the "would be nice to get done" stuff in any spots you have left. Realize this will change as you get to each year, but it can bring clarity to planning this year by knowing what you can do later and what must get done this year.
          Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post

And this is the one that we use, which our piano instructor (college professor at a music conservatory) likes a lot:
            https://pianoadventures.com/browse/l...no-adventures/
            I haven't seen this one, but we have liked many of the other books in this series.
            Bean. Long time MP user.

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post

I haven't seen this one, but we have liked many of the other books in this series.
              Yeah, it was a stroke of luck. I had gotten it for myself years ago to refresh, the kids picked it up and tried to self-learn from it a while back, and when we started with this teacher, she asked if they were using anything already so we showed it to her. Turns out, it’s one of her favorites. Score!

I have always heard good things about Alfred too, though

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
              DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 7.5
              DD, 5.5
              +DS+