Shakespeare Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shakespeare Edition

My 9th grader will be working on at least one of the Shakespeare units, starting with Macbeth. We already have a copy (probably more if I started digging in book boxes!). Is it necessary to use the recommended copy of Macbeth or can we use the copy I already have?

Thank you!
    Elizabeth

Hello.

You can use any Shakespeare play you own. We generally use line numbers to refer to passages. They may be a little off, but they should be very close. It seems that every publisher doesn't count the lines the same as we have looked at different versions.

I will say though that we have looked at lots of versions, and the only one we feel is truly safe as far as content is Ignatius Press Critical Editions. You can trust Ignatius not to have explicit notes (which is our problem with the other versions). Why publishers think they have to explain every vulgar term in Shakespeare (when the students would just glaze over it without question), I cannot figure out. And detailed explanations! Totally not needed in a middle/high school setting. That said, Ignatius doesn't have every play available, so it isn't a perfect solution.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hello.

You can use any Shakespeare play you own. We generally use line numbers to refer to passages. They may be a little off, but they should be very close. It seems that every publisher doesn't count the lines the same as we have looked at different versions.

I will say though that we have looked at lots of versions, and the only one we feel is truly safe as far as content is Ignatius Press Critical Editions. You can trust Ignatius not to have explicit notes (which is our problem with the other versions). Why publishers think they have to explain every vulgar term in Shakespeare (when the students would just glaze over it without question), I cannot figure out. And detailed explanations! Totally not needed in a middle/high school setting. That said, Ignatius doesn't have every play available, so it isn't a perfect solution.

Tanya
      Thank you! I have several different versions, including Folger editions, Pelican by Penguin, and Macbeth is from Yale Press. I'll look for the Ignatius Press editions for future purchases.

Comment

Working...
      X