Learning to write

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    Also, I don't think it's natural for kids to take what they've learned in CC and automatically apply it to other forms of writing. As teachers, we need to explain to them that the individual methods of argument they use in CC (paragraph types such as Cause/Converse, Implausibility, etc) can be used to support their arguments in 3 and 5 paragraph essay assignments. We then need to discuss a model or two of that to show how that's the case. You could even pull from a well-written article and show them the various CC methods employed in it.
    Jen,

Thanks for the links. I guess I could do a better tie in myself if I hadn’t farmed out CC to MPOA back when my daughter was a moody 7th grader.
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Jen (formerly) in Japan View Post
      I second IEW's high school offerings. IEW gets a bad wrap in some circles because of the the artificial nature of the early writing projects, but what it does do is to teach "writing" in a methodical, analytical fashion. The high school products are geared specifically for essays, research projects, etc. You might even look around for a co-op opportunity that is offering group IEW high school writing as an add-on to your daughter's work. Another thought is literally community college composition. You KNOW they won't be teaching anything other than "modern writing".

Writing is a complex problem. The mechanics of writing are an element, the grammar, syntax, etc of writing is another element, the content knowledge of writing is an element, but an actual Writers Voice is an additional irreplaceable element. My own observation is that Writer's Voice is one of the last elements to evolve, since it is a combination of maturity and ability to apply all of the other elements.

Even though I'd like to say I was my kids' Best Teacher All the Time, my oldest does inform me that his 10th grade English teacher at the DoD high school *made* him a writer. Sometimes it's the outside teacher in a complex subject like writing that makes all the difference.

Jen
      Jen,
      I have used IEW at home and my son had an online class with them a couple of years ago. I like it but just have realized that I have a hard time teaching it. I think one large part was some of the video segments were very long and hard to schedule into our week. I would get off track and have a hard time catching up. My son also hated the writing with pictures section that dominated the early part of SICC-B. I have never tried the theme based writing.

My daughter could take a community college class, but I really would have loved something to tie classical and modern together. She alwsys seems to be the guinea pig, poor thing. I am thinking maybe one of the AP composition study guides might be a place to start along with some of the writing exercises in the rhetoric book. Her class didn't cover any of those. I need to make a real plan for my boys now that my previous one isnt working out as anticipated.

Thanks for the input! I always value your opinions.

Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

Looking over this description, Mom2mthj I think this would fit the bill very well.

I want to be at the lunch table when you and SPearson are chatting composition, pretty please. It's on my radar, too.

My issue with CC ---- is not knowing enough about the program to help Rachel, even when outsourcing it to the Cottage School. I understood Fable, then Narrative was essentially Fable with longer passages. C/M threw me for a loop. Each time I reached out to her instructor, she always said, "there's no problem. She's doing fine." Ref/Con seemed easier for her, but there was a lot of Socratic discussion, so she fell down on class participation. (and I told her she needed to get used to it. )

Her literature and classical studies pieces are beautiful, but this class that Mary mentioned is likely going on our list some point in the high school years.
        I would love to chat writing with you and Susan and anyone else at Sodalitas. I would actually love to talk to you ladies about most anything especially now that I am almost over that terrible head cold my 6yo brought home from vbs last week.
        Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post

I don't generally use IEW and some of my students who have moved on to it have found the key words outlines especially awkward. I can be very successfully used, though. I really think you and Dorinda should look through the They Say book. It is really cheap and does a great job in modeling academic writing. It's easy to schedule if you just do a chapter a week and just do the assignments at the end of the chapters.
          Bean,
          Thanks for the link and the edition recommendation. I plan to get a copy. In the many writing programs you have reviewed have you ever looked over Jensen's Format Writing? It looked like it might work for my 13yo son. I sort of stumbled across it at lunch today.

https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homesc...format-writing
          Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

Bean,
            Thanks for the link and the edition recommendation. I plan to get a copy. In the many writing programs you have reviewed have you ever looked over Jensen's Format Writing? It looked like it might work for my 13yo son. I sort of stumbled across it at lunch today.

https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homesc...format-writing
            I haven't seen it in real life. It does look like it would be a useful and fairly complete supplement to CC. I used Warriner's to cover similar material.
            Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

CHC has a College Prep Writing Workshop E-Book. We haven't used it, nor seen it, but it seems to fit what you are looking for.
              https://www.chcweb.com/catalog/ByGra...duct_info.html
              Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
              DS 15: 10th, MPOA Latin & HS Comp II
              DD 12: 7th, MPOA Latin & Pre-Algebra
              DD 9: 4th using 3A
              Twin DD's 6: 1st

Comment

BraveWriter has a number of offerings, including on-line classes, that may help. I just signed my daughter up for a three-part series, Essay Prep: Dynamic Thinking, Research and Citation, and Exploratory and Persuasive. With my high schoolers - all excellent, creative writers, classically educated, highly literate - we have had difficulty with placement-type testing. Computers do not grade their writing favorably. My current senior had to take the placement test at the community college three times just to get a grade high enough to take biology. Two of my older children - both on full scholarships to top schools, very successful in their first two years of college, with high praises for their papers - received poor grades for their writing on the PSAT. This may actually be a tangential problem to the one you are experiencing, but there is something different in the writing of children who have been exposed to great literature, and who have read volumes of it. To me, it is akin to reading a novel versus a textbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

I would love to chat writing with you and Susan and anyone else at Sodalitas. I would actually love to talk to you ladies about most anything especially now that I am almost over that terrible head cold my 6yo brought home from vbs last week.
                  I am positively GIDDY about meeting up with y'all. This is my favorite week of the year.

Sending you well wishes for good health, so you can enjoy your time here in Louisville.
                  Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                  DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                  DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Dianna,

i am getting excited as well! Friends and great food...what more could a girl want?

my copy of Jensen’s format writing and their punctuation book arrive today, the “they say” book hopefully will arrive before I leave.
                    Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

My $5 used copy of They Say came the other day! I will bring it along.

Comment

When I taught They Say to a group, we mostly went through the book, but I did pull a few resources from the TSIS teacher notes at the top of this link: https://guides.frederick.edu/c.php?g=225928&p=1938522
                        Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

The above link is for the 3rd edition, but the core chapters line up. The essays listed are not the same as in the second edition. If you happen to go for another edition, I would suggest one without "Readings". Some of the essays would not be appropriate for all families/ teens in the later editions.

We worked with outside essays most of the time, but the ones in the back of second edition were useful, too.
                          Bean. Long time MP user.

Comment

Free guide on writing from Capital Community College. Please click on "Principles of Composition".
                            Principles of Composition is a component of the Guide to Grammar and Writing. It contains digital handouts on how to get started in the writing process, how to edit (and check for errors in logic), how to begin and conclude, and how to format papers. There is a separate section for several different kinds of essays -- development by examples, definition, cause-and-effect, comparison-contrast, argument, etc. -- and each of these sections contains at least one complete sample essay.
                            Last edited by pax2day; 07-24-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X