What are your 9th grade plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post

Thanks for sharing, Bean. Derek Owens was one of the programs we were looking at for algebra next year. I've never heard of Global Goose, so I'll have to check that out!
    Both DO and Global Goose have a level of flexibility in them that isn't in most live classes. Since we are starting DE, too. I didn't want to end up with 3 different Spring Break weeks.
    Bean

DD- 9M with subs

Comment

Thank you, Amanda, Dorinda, and Sarah for your advice. I do tend to over-plan and am seriously considering dropping Vocab from Classical Roots and Exploring Planet Earth. My son really enjoys Fix It Grammar, so I am going to keep that. He did very well on the grammar/writing portion of the CLT 8, which I would like to partly attribute to Fix It. He is usually capable of doing most of what I give him, but rushes through almost all of it. I don't think it will make a difference to him to have less to do with the mindset of doing it well or having more to do and rushing through. The result is always the same with him. He just wants to get it all over with. My husband and I are planning talks with him this summer about this issue to help him realize the importance of his studies, more now than ever before.
      DS, 13, 8th grade
      DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Thank you, Amanda, Dorinda, and Sarah for your advice. I do tend to over-plan and am seriously considering dropping Vocab from Classical Roots and Exploring Planet Earth. My son really enjoys Fix It Grammar, so I am going to keep that. He did very well on the grammar/writing portion of the CLT 8, which I would like to partly attribute to Fix It. He is usually capable of doing most of what I give him, but rushes through almost all of it. I don't think it will make a difference to him to have less to do with the mindset of doing it well or having more to do and rushing through. The result is always the same with him. He just wants to get it all over with. My husband and I are planning talks with him this summer about this issue to help him realize the importance of his studies, more now than ever before.
        I have a son like that (14yo who has always been this way). It's always there, but feeling overwhelmed definitely makes it worse and leads to excessive frustration from him. And what overwhelms him isn't always what would overwhelm other kids. Might be worth asking about during your summer discussions.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
        MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
        MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
        As above, plus:
        MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
        MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

I have a son like that (14yo who has always been this way). It's always there, but feeling overwhelmed definitely makes it worse and leads to excessive frustration from him. And what overwhelms him isn't always what would overwhelm other kids. Might be worth asking about during your summer discussions.
          Thank you, Jennifer. That's a very good possibility that I hadn't thought of before.
          DS, 13, 8th grade
          DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

My son will be in 9th next year. Here are our plans (mostly following 9M):

Latin: Second Form
            Math: Finish Prentice-Hall Algebra I (and start 2)
            Literature: 9th grade literature books and/or Bronze Bow and possibly The Hobbit--still figuring out which exact books we'll be covering
            Composition: IEW Student Writing Intensive Level C
            Classical Studies: Aeneid/Book of Ancient Romans
            Christian Studies: Story of Christianity
            Traditional Logic I & II
            Science: Novare Physical Science
            American History: Concise History of the American Republic

I'm hoping to add in some art & music appreciation, and we'll be reading the 4th grade read alouds as a family, along with our daily Bible readings.
            Holly,
            mom to:
            DD 16 & DS 13--8M
            DD 11 & DD 8--3A
            DS 4--jr. K

Comment

Originally posted by HollyS View Post
              My son will be in 9th next year. Here are our plans (mostly following 9M):

Latin: Second Form
              Math: Finish Prentice-Hall Algebra I (and start 2)
              Literature: 9th grade literature books and/or Bronze Bow and possibly The Hobbit--still figuring out which exact books we'll be covering
              Composition: IEW Student Writing Intensive Level C
              Classical Studies: Aeneid/Book of Ancient Romans
              Christian Studies: Story of Christianity
              Traditional Logic I & II
              Science: Novare Physical Science
              American History: Concise History of the American Republic

I'm hoping to add in some art & music appreciation, and we'll be reading the 4th grade read alouds as a family, along with our daily Bible readings.
              Hi Holly, thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying seeing what everyone is doing. Where I live, no one really uses MP. It's all CC, Abeka, and Bob Jones.
              DS, 13, 8th grade
              DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

I don't have a teenager yet, so I can't speak to the parenting of one.

I am questioning for myself, what if that is just in your nature - to rush though things?

I'm a "rusher". I type fast. I think fast. I move fast. I clean fast. I do everything just that way - fast. I'm not a "thorough" person and I never have been - and honestly, my lack of thoroughness isn't one of my best traits. I can miss things.
                Having said that, I get a lot done compared to others. Even in my career days, I was a "workhorse" employee, because I could get a huge amount of work done in very little time. One caveat - my work sometimes had mistakes. My boss knew that, and he would know that he needed to glance over my spreadsheets a bit to be sure we weren't reporting bad numbers. However, he could expect 3 times the output from me than almost anyone else.

My husband - opposite. He's not fast. He is thorough. Anything he does, he does to the point where it is textbook perfect. He is able to focus with laser like precision on a task and it will be amazing. However, that will be the only thing accomplished. Everything he does takes time because he demands perfection of whatever he gives his attention, to the exclusion of many other things no matter how important. Add to that, he won't start a project at all, no matter how badly it needs doing, if he can't get it to 100% completion and with his level of expectation.

So, if 10 things need doing, I can get 9 of them done to about 80% of perfection. He can get 1-2 of them done at 100% perfection.

We make a great team.

I'm just wondering if the "rushing" nature is actually "fixable". I'm not sure how I would even begin to "not rush". I have a need to "get it all done - pretty well enough", rather than "get it perfect". I always felt like I didn't have the luxury of time for perfection. No matter how wrong that idea is, I don't know how to unwind that idea, because the pressure of needing things finished is stronger than the need to have it all perfect.

Just my thoughts while drinking coffee!
                Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
                DS (MP1) - 7
                DS (K) - 5
                DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

I don't have a teenager yet, so I can't speak to the parenting of one.

I am questioning for myself, what if that is just in your nature - to rush though things?

I'm a "rusher". I type fast. I think fast. I move fast. I clean fast. I do everything just that way - fast. I'm not a "thorough" person and I never have been - and honestly, my lack of thoroughness isn't one of my best traits. I can miss things.
                  Having said that, I get a lot done compared to others. Even in my career days, I was a "workhorse" employee, because I could get a huge amount of work done in very little time. One caveat - my work sometimes had mistakes. My boss knew that, and he would know that he needed to glance over my spreadsheets a bit to be sure we weren't reporting bad numbers. However, he could expect 3 times the output from me than almost anyone else.

My husband - opposite. He's not fast. He is thorough. Anything he does, he does to the point where it is textbook perfect. He is able to focus with laser like precision on a task and it will be amazing. However, that will be the only thing accomplished. Everything he does takes time because he demands perfection of whatever he gives his attention, to the exclusion of many other things no matter how important. Add to that, he won't start a project at all, no matter how badly it needs doing, if he can't get it to 100% completion and with his level of expectation.

So, if 10 things need doing, I can get 9 of them done to about 80% of perfection. He can get 1-2 of them done at 100% perfection.

We make a great team.

I'm just wondering if the "rushing" nature is actually "fixable". I'm not sure how I would even begin to "not rush". I have a need to "get it all done - pretty well enough", rather than "get it perfect". I always felt like I didn't have the luxury of time for perfection. No matter how wrong that idea is, I don't know how to unwind that idea, because the pressure of needing things finished is stronger than the need to have it all perfect.

Just my thoughts while drinking coffee!
                  Ah, you and my oldest are very much alike. He has always been this way, too, and my sister and niece are very much the same. In our family you might call it ADHD . It doesn't matter what the task is; piano practice, math, cleaning the bathroom, it's rush, rush, rush, and perfection is definitely not the goal. He is a big-picture type of person and not concerned with the details UNLESS he is really interested in something. He will write out lists of his favorite bands and songs in his neatest handwriting and categorize them, so it can be done.

God wired all of us differently, but if some of us would slow down just a teeny bit, we would actually save time in long run and not have to re-do math! That is what we are hoping our energizer bunny will learn.

DS, 13, 8th grade
                  DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

I think Sarah mentioned this in another thread. Map out his week. How much time for each thing per day? When? I did that this year and again for next year realized pretty quickly that some things just couldn't happen, and some electives needed to happen during the summer unless my child gave up eating or sleeping (or turned in poor work).

Dd's fall schedule is Math, DE Business, DE Fine Arts, Rhetoric and French. That's it. Once I mapped it out, including transition time to and from campus, it became clear that it is all she has time for.

We do our own thing for Christian Studies, but don't treat it as school, dd takes music lessons, participates in pilates/ barre classes, does some community theater and volunteers at a senior community.
                    Bean

DD- 9M with subs

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

This is very much something I can relate to! My personality to a T.
                      One thing that has helped me - distinguishing which things really need perfection, and which things fall in the "good enough is perfect" category. I use this distinction in creating schedules and in deciding how well things need to be done. For example, we are NOT going to be late to Mass, violin lessons, or classes we pay for, and Latin and Math and violin practice are the "big rocks" in the school day. Other things can get shifted around or dropped as needed, laundry can be put off til tomorrow, etc. Same applies for quality of work - if the "big rocks" get done well, but the dishes are mostly done and I cut corners sweeping, so what?

HTH

Amanda
                      Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Working...
                      X