What are your 9th grade plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your 9th grade plans?

I've been wondering what others do for 9th grade. Do you all follow MP's 9th grade core? This is my first foray into high school and I would love to see what everyone else does. We finished up our full Latin studies this past year because my strong-willed child really wants to learn French and I can't do it all. Here's our plan, which isn't all MP :

English and Composition: MPOA High School Composition I, Fix Grammar Book 4, Vocabulary from Classical Roots B and C, MP 9th Grade Literature, Poetry, and Prose, plus The Aeneid

Science: Novare Introductory Physics with labs

Math: Shormann Algebra I

History: MP Mill's Books of the Middle Ages and Renaissance paired with Roman Road's Old Western Culture Christendom videos

Foreign Language: French I (local class)

Elective: MP Geography III and Exploring Planet Earth

Fine Arts: Trumpet lessons, choir, and orchestra

Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study: A Survey of the Bible by Starr Meade

Physical Education: Basketball
    Last edited by Sugarbelle; 06-10-2019, 05:21 PM.
    DS, 13, 8th grade
    DS, 10, 5th grade

I started to type this out, but I'll just give you a screen shot from my umbrella school's grade site for reference. In high school the kids start to veer a little bit toward their own paths. I think this is a healthy adjustment. It's very, very hard to fit a high schooler into a box. Ha! HTH!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 3.37.59 PM.png
Views:	2
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	113196
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks, Jessica! I love your comment about not fitting high schoolers in a box. It would be a difficult task, indeed, to get this boy into any kind box!
      DS, 13, 8th grade
      DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

We are moving towards an early college boarding school so we have specific boxes we are checking, making an MP core impossible.

English: Rhetoric for fall. Undecided for spring. Either some Shakespeare or whatever guides she wants to study (Probably the Greek Plays).

Math: Precalculus with Derek Owens

History: dd took an interest in Government so is self studying US AP material. I might try to find a test site.

French: Global Goose French 2

Health, phys ed with me (required courses)

Fine Arts: dual enrollment
        Science: dual enrollment
        Maybe a dual enrollment business class.
        Ground school (online)
        Last edited by bean; 06-11-2019, 03:38 PM.
        Bean

DD- 9M with subs

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post
          Thanks, Jessica! I love your comment about not fitting high schoolers in a box. It would be a difficult task, indeed, to get this boy into any kind box!
          We almost didn't create full cores for 9+ for the very reason Jessica gives: each high-school student is starting to chart his own unique path towards his life after graduation. We certainly stand behind our 9th and 10th grade packages as excellent options for a classical Christian education, but each is only one of many different paths for instilling wisdom and virtue in high school. We encourage you to embrace that beautiful aspect of homeschooling, the ability to tailor your curriculum for each child.

HTH!
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
            We are moving towards an early college boarding school so we have specific boxes we are checking, making MP boxes impossible.

English: Rhetoric for fall. Undecided for spring. Either some Shakespeare or whatever guides she wants to study.

Math: Precalculus with Derek Owens

History: dd took an interest in Government so is self studying US AP material. I might try to find a test site.

French: Global Goose French 2

Health, phys ed with me (required courses)

Fine Arts: dual enrollment
            Science: dual enrollment
            Maybe a dual enrollment business class.
            Ground school (online)
            Thanks for sharing, Bean. Derek Owens was one of the programs we were looking at for algebra next year. I've never heard of Global Goose, so I'll have to check that out!
            DS, 13, 8th grade
            DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

We almost didn't create full cores for 9+ for the very reason Jessica gives: each high-school student is starting to chart his own unique path towards his life after graduation. We certainly stand behind our 9th and 10th grade packages as excellent options for a classical Christian education, but each is only one of many different paths for instilling wisdom and virtue in high school. We encourage you to embrace that beautiful aspect of homeschooling, the ability to tailor your curriculum for each child.

HTH!
              Well, I'm glad you did create them because it helps me discern what I can or should do for high school. In fact, when I looked at the MP catalog and online academy a few years ago to map out a long-term plan for my kids, I thought, "This is what I want for my children!"
              DS, 13, 8th grade
              DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Well, I'm glad you did create them because it helps me discern what I can or should do for high school. In fact, when I looked at the MP catalog and online academy a few years ago to map out a long-term plan for my kids, I thought, "This is what I want for my children!"
                I'm so glad the packages were able to serve you as a solid blueprint even when customization was necessary. I also want to say that it means so much to us at MP to hear feedback like in your above post; thank you.
                Michael
                Memoria Press

Comment

My youngest starts 9th grade.
                  Here are our best-laid plans....

Latin: Finish Fourth Form Latin, Begin Henle II with MP plans

English : MPOA High School Composition II (& Traditional Logic 2 @ half-pace)

Theology: HSC Sacred Scripture class

Literature: MP guides for Iliad, Odyssey, Greek Tragedies with MP plans

History: Greek History with Kolbe plans

Science: Novare Introductory Physics

Math: VideoText Algebra (last 2 modules)

Spanish: private lesson and Breaking the Barrier Spanish

DS14, MPOA HS Comp II, mix of MP resources with substitutions, 2019-2020

"[May] the peace of God, which passes all understanding, ... keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Comment

I'm so glad the packages were able to serve you as a solid blueprint even when customization was necessary. I also want to say that it means so much to us at MP to hear feedback like in your above post; thank you.
                    Blueprint, baseline... Both of these are excellent words for the packages. My oldest kids are now use their own blank planners but the feel is decidedly MP. They've been educated by the curriculum planners just as much as by the content! They've learned the form that lessons and assignments need to take from looking at MP guides for years.

​​​​​​Never underestimate the "intangibles!"
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                    D · 8th
                    D · 5th
                    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I've been wondering what others do for 9th grade. Do you all follow MP's 9th grade core? This is my first foray into high school and I would love to see what everyone else does. We finished up our full Latin studies this past year because my strong-willed child really wants to learn French and I can't do it all. Here's our plan, which isn't all MP :

English and Composition: MPOA High School Composition I, Fix Grammar Book 4, Vocabulary from Classical Roots B and C, MP 9th Grade Literature, Poetry, and Prose, plus The Aeneid
                      History: MP Mill's Books of the Middle Ages and Renaissance paired with Roman Road's Old Western Culture Christendom videos
                      Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study: A Survey of the Bible by Starr Meade

Looks like a good plan! I don't know how much Latin your kiddo finished, but perhaps the grammar and the vocab aren't really necessary? The lit and comp would make a hefty English credit without it.
                      Amanda
                      Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Your plan sounds nice, but rather heavy. Fine arts alone is going to take lots of time. If that is really his thing then you need to adjust the other subjects accordingly. My daughter dropped violin and kept piano and choir because she knew she couldn’t devote sufficient time to both instruments to do either one justice. I think Geography 3 could be an elective credit by itself or could be considered “social studies” so you could save history for next year. My niece in public school took a year of world geography so that isn’t out of line. You already have a science credit so you don’t really need the earth science bit added to geography. My biggest concern is the English credit. MPOA High school comp 2 is going to be time consuming as there will be a paper due every week. I would totally drop fix it grammar and vocabulary. English 9 lit package plus Aeneid seems an extra full credit all by itself. If you are combining it with the comp class then I personally would not do any more than have the student read the books. My daughter did HS Comp 3 her freshman year and the lit package completely fell off the table, and I still consider it enough for an English credit.

I know my downfall is to plan everything that sounds really nice to do, and I see that here. Everything here looks great, but too much great can be a burden. I would encourage you to really spend some time looking at what your student is capable of accomplishing well this year and consulting him or her about it. Both of you need some time to breathe and enjoy things this year and make it through to the end of the year with a sense that things went well. Don’t plan so much that you get discouraged, you can always add more later.
                        Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
                        DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
                        DS 10 - 5M
                        DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

HTH!
                          We also use the MP packages for a foundation for the plan. I really didn't plan to deviate as much as we needed to for next year. I've often thought of the subjects as "modules", especially in the upper grades.
                          Bean

DD- 9M with subs

Comment

Hi Sugarbelle!

Not sure if you still want more examples or not, but here are two more to add to the mixture:

My DD's 9th grade year:
                            Latin - Finishing Henle First Year
                            Math - Geometry
                            Classical - Mil's Romans/Aeneid
                            History - Church History (mixture of MP and a Catholic textbook)
                            Literature - What is now the 10th grade MP set
                            Theology - Catholic textbook ("Our Goal and Our Guide" - we did not continue with that series)
                            English - Traditional Logic I and CC 3: Chreia/Maxim
                            Science - Biology (small coop with friends using Apologia)

My DS's 9th grade year:
                            Latin - Finishing Henle Third Year
                            Greek - Introduction to Attic Greek (mastronarde) - ongoing
                            Math - Algebra II (he's already done Geometry)
                            History - A History of Europe in the Modern World (both)
                            Literature - MP 9th grade lit
                            Theology - HSC "Dispelling Historical Distortions" (went along with history)
                            English - Traditional Logic II with CC VI
                            Science - Biology (Apologia - not going to use it with any more children though)
                            Music - piano

As everyone else has said, we don't stray too far from the framework MP has given us.

For me, the biggest challenge with high schoolers is helping them be patient with the restlessness that comes at this age. Giving them things to keep them balanced is critical, as Dorinda mentioned. Sometimes we have had to endure being "out of balance," and while it can be done for a time, it's not sustainable long-term. So, it is good to be cautious about how much to attempt. But at the same time, a good friend recently hit the nail on the head when he said, "you have to keep them from being too inward-focused" at this stage of their lives, which rang so true for what our teens go through while they are waiting for their "bigger lives" to start. I think being homeschoolers can make them even more prone to this tendency because they don't have the distraction of a school full of peers. Giving them a challenging high school path is really helpful for that. No one knows what he or she is capable of doing unless presented with it and expected to rise to the occasion, and coached through it with patience and confidence along the way. I was always nervous about what homeschooling for high school would be like, but of all the things to figure out, the academics has been so doable because of the MP base. And then having to find ways to balance that with outside opportunities so they do have more people in their daily lives than just their family. For us, that means they get a job.

AMDG,
                            Sarah

2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                            DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                            DS, 16
                            DD, 14
                            DD, 12
                            DD, 10
                            DD, 7.5
                            DD, 5.5
                            +DS+
                            DS, 18 months

Comment

You're most welcome!
                              DS, 13, 8th grade
                              DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Working...
                              X