Colleges and Universities We Need to Know About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    What a cool story. The cookies look amazing!
    I know! I feel like they probably require a fork.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
      OH! Mom2mthj I didn't want to get caught in edit-limbo so I'm posting this separately: the target tuition, room, board is $16,000/yr!!!
      I've discovered that if leave the page after you post and then return and open your post for an edit, you don't get caught in limbo.
      Last edited by bean; 08-04-2019, 07:25 PM.
      Bean. Long time MP user. I'm usually posting before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD- 10th- AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post

I've discovered if leave the page after you post then return and open your post for an edit you don't get caught in limbo.
        Brilliant, Bean! Thanks for sharing.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2020-2021
        11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

Bumping this up. Does anyone have anything to add or new to report? Any former MP kids out there loving their college choice?
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2020-2021
          11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

Not a former MP, but an HLS graduate (similar education) who is at St. Mary's (Notre Dame), studying biology. Excellent professors; excellent environment. Options to take classes at Notre Dame.
            St. Mary's is women-only.
            Another graduate at Colorado School of Mines, studying mechanical and environmental engineering. Great experience so far.
            Cindy Davis
            Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
            ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
            ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
            dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Love this, Cindy! Thank you.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

I went to John Carroll University in OH (Catholic, liberal arts) and graduated with a BS in Psychology. JCU was a wonderful school, but I'm not certain if the school is still reliably Catholic. I was, however, shocked to discover at the end of my four years that *gasp* I would need to do something following graduation. Guess what? You can't do much of anything with a BS in Psychology! So I did the thing that you should tell all of your children NOT to do- because I didn't know what to do I decided to go to law school. I went to The University of Pittsburgh for law school- which is a great school. Particularly for anyone interested in the sciences or especially a career in medicine. Pro tip: don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. Just because you're *interested* in law, doesn't mean you need a degree to... not work. Don't be like me.

My husband is from Turkey but went to Carnegie Mellon University for his Ph.D. CMU is an amazing school, outrageous tuition. Currently my husband is a member of the mechanical engineering faculty at Texas Tech University, so please send future engineers my way! In all seriousness, he would be happy to chat with anyone interested in pursuing engineering.

Comment

I can't recommend my alma mater. However, Our Lady Seat of Wisdom College in Ontario is worthy of consideration. The costs are quite low ( ~$13k CAD) compared to many schools. Our oldest considered it and enjoyed her visit there, but the college only offers a 3-year liberal arts degree and she wanted to study computer science. A number of schools accept their credits so you can transfer later and save a bit of money.
                  DS15, MPOA HS Comp III & Material Logic, mostly MP with substitutions 2020-2021

"[May] the peace of God, which passes all understanding, ... keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Comment

I am a graduate of Harvard. I highly recommend it. My oldest is in 7th grade so we have not started looking at colleges, and I graduated a long time ago, but I could try to answer any questions about it.
                    JeJe Greer
                    Mom to:
                    Stella (8M with 9th grade literature)
                    Clara (SC 5/6 and 4th new user)

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      Bumping this up. Does anyone have anything to add or new to report? Any former MP kids out there loving their college choice?
                      Hey guys!
                      pickandgrin Responding to your bump, now that E has nearly wrapped up her first semester at Wheaton College, I can report that she LOVES it. We learned that generally speaking, the first six weeks or so are hard on everyone, no matter living at home or going to school, no matter which school you choose. Her friends scattered around out east all experienced what she did as well - transition: hard. But, after fall break, she started to get feedback on work, started having projects that helped her interact with classmates more, and was able to start socializing with classmates more. By now, the end of the semester, she is loving it and is sad that her classes are ending.

As a fun note for MP folks...despite all her years of Latin study, she had to take Latin her first semester. She tested into advanced Latin, but had to take it nonetheless. Turned out to be a great class because the teacher was a wit! Material was easy (thank you, MP!!!) and kids were fun. Ended up being a favorite, but she is not DONE with LATIN! WHOO HOO!

Also, English was another favorite. They were assigned a variety of styles of writing, including a full-fledged research paper - for which they were given step-by-step guidance. It totally relieved any anxiety I have about ever tackling that with my own kids. Having a college prof do it with them instead was definitely a win! She is seriously sad that the class is ending. She LOVED her professor - who even invited the whole class to her own home to have dinner with her husband and three children. Super sweet!

Lastly, Wheaton is a small, Christian liberal arts school, and as such, they have Chapel on M,W, and F that is mandatory for the entire school. (they are allowed 11 absences per semester). It's basically a class period in the middle of the day that everyone has to attend. We were nervous at first since we are Catholic. But she has loved it. Sometimes it's praise and worship music, sometimes its a performance of some sort, often it's a speaker - some from the college, but also those invited in to give a special presentation. They have often been amazing. Seriously some of the most inspiring parts of her semester. Other times she read her Latin or finished editing a writing assignment during it! Some kids even nap ha!

But we have been really pleased with the experience. And during orientation, we learned that 12% of the freshman class was homeschooled. Pretty amazing, no?

AMDG,
                      Sarah

2020-2021
                      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                      DS, 16
                      DD, 14
                      DD, 12
                      DD, 10
                      DD, 8
                      DD, 6
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

What a lovely report , KF2000 ! So good to hear your girl is thriving. And I'm here to give back pats to you for helping her prepare. Well done!
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

2020-2021
                        11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                          But we have been really pleased with the experience. And during orientation, we learned that 12% of the freshman class was homeschooled. Pretty amazing, no?
                          All great to hear and I am glad for you and for your daughter. And yes, 12% is amazing to hear, and yet at the same time, not so amazing. It is the current trend for the smaller Christian liberal arts school. May the trend continue!
                          2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
                          S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
                          D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
                          S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn View Post

All great to hear and I am glad for you and for your daughter. And yes, 12% is amazing to hear, and yet at the same time, not so amazing. It is the current trend for the smaller Christian liberal arts school. May the trend continue!
                            I was just talking a VP of admissions at my alma mater and his comment was that "homeschoolers do really well here." How heartwarming for those of us coming up!
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

2020-2021
                            11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

I was just talking a VP of admissions at my alma mater and his comment was that "homeschoolers do really well here." How heartwarming for those of us coming up!
                              Super heartwarming. And confidence providing, especially for us who have little ones just starting the journey with a lot to go between here and there. That said, the VP's comment makes total sense. Why would he think differently? As Joseph Sobran once wrote, "In 100 years we have gone from teaching Latin and Greek in high school to teaching Remedial English in college." The number of homeschooled college kids taking Remedial English has to be small, especially a thorough and reputable curriculum like MP.
                              2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
                              S - 6, rising 1st Grader @ home and HLN
                              D - 4, rising Junior Kindergartener @ home
                              S - 3, the master of disasters

Comment

Working...
                              X