Colleges and Universities We Need to Know About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Margaret, Have you read this article by Mr. Cothran on knowing nature?

https://www.memoriapress.com/article...gered-species/

It's actually about how scientists rarely know nature personally and intimately. At her age I would suggest the nature studies from MP and learning the nature around her personally and intimately--all your local trees, birds, bugs, reptiles, mammals, amphibians, flowers, etc. I can think of no greater place to begin than by knowing and loving nature itself. When she's older I'd give her Wendell Berry to read.
    Thanks Jessica, I'll retread hat again. This year, this moment, the plan is Nature's Beautiful Order with a review of Mammals as her younger sister goes through it. So, I guess that's the right track...
    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
    DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
    DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
    DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
    DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

This concerns post graduate studies. I was asked to spread the word. Notre Dame has started a program for those pursuing a Masters is Theology. My cousin has just begun this past week. This program is accepting college graduates with any undergraduate degree but pursing a Theology Masters. The student will stay on campus over the summer and take classes. The fall and winter semesters, the student is assigned to a diocese in the U.S. to work while taking courses online through Notre Dame. Then the second summer, back to campus to live and take classes. And the last year assigned at a diocese to work and online classes. It’s a fairly intense program, however, it is completely paid for including housing and the student even gets a monthly stipend. The requirements..good grades in undergrad, solid in the Catholic Faith, multiple step interview process. I don’t have a link, and I’m not sure it’s even on their website yet. But interested students can call the Theology department to get more information or start the admissions process.
      Katie

2020/21: 7th year with MP
      DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P
      DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program; Catholic Social Teaching, VT Alg. 1
      DD 9: MP 5, Seton Religion and Spelling, MPOA: FF Latin, Fable
      Twin DD's 7: MP 2, Seton Religion and Phonics

Comment

I have no personal experience with these schools, but I've read about them and thought I'd share just in case anyone finds it helpful. LeTourneau University in Texas bills itself as a nondenominational Christian Polytechnic school, and has a scholarship specifically for homeschooled students that you can apply for.

And if you have a future engineer but a small budget, Houston Community college has a 4 year engineering program by partnering with UT Tyler.

College of the Ozarks, (Hard Work U) also seems like an intriguing option.

Comment

Originally posted by sunset View Post
          I have no personal experience with these schools, but I've read about them and thought I'd share just in case anyone finds it helpful. LeTourneau University in Texas bills itself as a nondenominational Christian Polytechnic school, and has a scholarship specifically for homeschooled students that you can apply for.

And if you have a future engineer but a small budget, Houston Community college has a 4 year engineering program by partnering with UT Tyler.

College of the Ozarks, (Hard Work U) also seems like an intriguing option.
          LeTourneau also offers online dual enrollment classes which are very reasonably priced. Taking one of these makes a student eligible for additional scholarship money. However, we found the classes to be a bit uneven. Discrete Math was terrific, but Computer Science 1 was terrible.
          Kristin
          Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
          DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
          DD16; Rising Senior!

Comment

Friends! I just want to express my appreciation for all of the input in this post!! It is wonderful and many of you have taken quite a bit of precious time to share information. As a mom with a rising junior, sophomore and freshman, I am spending quite a bit of time this summer in this kind of research.

My older two have very strong and specific interests in what they want to study and eventually do with their degrees. So I am throwing out a fishing line to perhaps add to our list.

My oldest is looking for a classically minded, Christian school where he can major in history with possible minors or double majors in: biblical studies, classical studies, government, Latin, or Greek. He does not want to attend a very small school--though I am insisting he visit and consider Patrick Henry. He is also considering Grove City College, Hillsdale and a few others. (We are not Catholic) He wants to stay within 2-8 hours of home (central Ohio), so no schools west of the Mississippi, lol.

My daughter is interested in forensic science. If she sticks with that degree, her list will winnow itself down by virtue of which schools with our criteria offer the degree.

Appreciate any information you might have to add!

Grace and peace to all :-)
            Ally

Evan: 11th grade, MPOA
            Rachel: 10th grade, MPOA
            Katie: 9th grade, mix of MPOA & HOD

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

Comment

Have you looked at Calvin College in Grand Rapids? It does have classics and at 3700 undergrad is bigger than Hillsdale at 1500, but not huge. I would guess it to be about 5 hours away.
              Dorinda

For 2020-2021
              DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
              DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
              DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
              DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by kikirev3 View Post
                Friends! I just want to express my appreciation for all of the input in this post!! It is wonderful and many of you have taken quite a bit of precious time to share information. As a mom with a rising junior, sophomore and freshman, I am spending quite a bit of time this summer in this kind of research.

My older two have very strong and specific interests in what they want to study and eventually do with their degrees. So I am throwing out a fishing line to perhaps add to our list.

My oldest is looking for a classically minded, Christian school where he can major in history with possible minors or double majors in: biblical studies, classical studies, government, Latin, or Greek. He does not want to attend a very small school--though I am insisting he visit and consider Patrick Henry. He is also considering Grove City College, Hillsdale and a few others. (We are not Catholic) He wants to stay within 2-8 hours of home (central Ohio), so no schools west of the Mississippi, lol.

My daughter is interested in forensic science. If she sticks with that degree, her list will winnow itself down by virtue of which schools with our criteria offer the degree.

Hi Ally. For your daughter, have you looked into Ohio University for forensic science? It has a really great program but I have some caveats about Athens and the school in general. It is most definitely not a Christian school and an absolute party/pagan school with very few opportunities for a believer to grow in their faith. That said, it may be worth looking into if that is the degree she really wants.

As for your son, have you looked at Cedarville? I know it's a very small school but it checks off most of your son's boxes. Ohio Northern and Baldwin Wallace may be of interest too. There are a lot of Christian colleges in Ohio but most of them are smaller and niche Universities. For example, Malone is great for a few degree paths, nursing being one of them. I'm not sure any of this is of help, but I thought I would chime in anyway.
                2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
                S - 6, 1st Grader @ home and HLN
                D - 4, Junior Kindergartener @ home
                S - 3, Junior Junior Kindergartener @ home

Comment

Thanks Beorn and Dorinda! I’ve heard mention of Calvin, so I’ll make sure we look at that one more closely. Cedarville is on the list for both. They have a forensic science program (my daughter just did their academic camp) and our pastor is on their board and he feels very strongly that they are a university that is truly committed to discipling students and supporting their spiritual growth. We definitely want that element. We’ll see how it goes and if forensics remains “the thing”.

Ally

Evan: 11th grade, MPOA
                  Rachel: 10th grade, MPOA
                  Katie: 9th grade, mix of MPOA & HOD

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by kikirev3 View Post

I have a dear friend who attended GCC for undergrad and then Slippery Rock for grad school. If you have some specific questions regarding Grove City, I can ask for her input.
                    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
                    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
                    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
                    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
                    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
                    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

I was challenged once by someone just after graduation - find three "real" jobs, looking for a marine biologist. Find out what real income is possible. Remove about a 25% of it for taxes/benefits and such. Now, figure out if that will pay for real bills and I was to find those actual numbers - rent, electricity, car and car insurance, water, phone, health, and oh yeah, you have to eat...Now figure out if that works for any age other than a single 22 year old. Does a day in the life of this job look like one that works for more than a small window of time - before you are married and have kids? Then ask yourself: Is that degree an opportunity? Or did you spend a lot of time and money on a hobby?

The person that posed the challenge was not kind. He wan't intending to provide guidance. He wanted me to realize how immature my thinking was, how silly my passions were, and how retarded it would be to go into so much debt and have nothing to show for it but 4 years of enjoying a hobby.

His intentions aside, I truly believe it was invaluable advice. I think if high school students were instructed to do these exercises early, and get a better picture of the real world opportunities and even more importantly, the financial requirements to sustain the living that they want to have, it would help them find their way. How many times have you heard a college senior say "I don't know what I want to do now that I've finished X degree" or a freshman/sophomore say "I can't pick a major because I don't know what I want to do". My brain has changed that to mean "I can't figure out which hobby I like the most" and not "I can't figure out which opportunity path works best with my strengths and provides for all of my future responsibilities".
                      I don't think someone has to have kind intentions to offer up great advice.

Case in point ----

Years ago, I was a single mother. New job, with training for a certification. Going to school to pursue my BSN. And a new boyfriend. As I got ready for another class, along side studying for the certification, he says to me, "So, what happens if you don't pass this certification?"

I looked at him, gobsmacked. It was something I hadn't even considered.

He said, "Look. You can do a lot of things half-a**ed, or a few things really, really well."

That conversation has stayed with me for over 15 years. Even though his mother told me later that he wasn't being altruistic, but rather, being selfish of his time with me.

I take the advice to heart FREQUENTLY -- as a barometer for life. I'm an extrovert, through and through, and FOMO has a firm grip on me. (although it's getting better as I get older)
                      I often have to ask myself, "If I say YES to this XYZ activity/commitment/project/etc, what am I saying NO to?"

I love the challenge this guy served to you. Bottom line, it made you think.

Plans for 2020-21

Comment

DiannaKennedy Oh yes it did. I have every intention of passing that challenge along to my own kids and at much younger ages. It really does make you do a deeper dive into yourself and what you know vs what you think you know vs reality. It's a challenge to find real answers, or at least, the best answers that are currently available and to rely a little less on the fantasy of the future.

Just out of curiosity....which line do you fall on? "You can do a lot of things half-a**ed, or a few things really, really well".... I've always been the former over the latter....but then, I never seemed to have time to be anything else. So I look at it this way. My ability to do a lot, one way or another, still gets a lot done. Totally opposite of hubby though, who is a master of the thorough mindset. It's weird but we need each other to be opposites because the contradicting methods are actually complimentary to our family's success.
                        Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                        DS (MP2) - 7/8
                        DS (K) - 6
                        DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
                          DiannaKennedy Oh yes it did. I have every intention of passing that challenge along to my own kids and at much younger ages. It really does make you do a deeper dive into yourself and what you know vs what you think you know vs reality. It's a challenge to find real answers, or at least, the best answers that are currently available and to rely a little less on the fantasy of the future.

Just out of curiosity....which line do you fall on? "You can do a lot of things half-a**ed, or a few things really, really well".... I've always been the former over the latter....but then, I never seemed to have time to be anything else. So I look at it this way. My ability to do a lot, one way or another, still gets a lot done. Totally opposite of hubby though, who is a master of the thorough mindset. It's weird but we need each other to be opposites because the contradicting methods are actually complimentary to our family's success.
                          When I was younger, I did ALL THE THINGS. Seriously. Just like that example above. I was single -- and I had NEVER LIVED ON MY OWN BEFORE. My friends were all, "Oh, you'll be fine!" Meanwhile, I was saying, "Y'all don't get it. I've never lived alone." Oooh. That was a hurry up and grow up situation. I was in a new job, that I LOVED, but the credential for which I was studying was R.O.U.G.H --- exercise physiologist certification through the American College of Sports Medicine. Reading EKGs (and I found that difficult enough), as well as huge math formulas figuring VO2 max or some such craziness.

So, until he said something, I never realized HOW much I was doing, all the time. Were my attempts half- a**ed? I don't think so. I think I did a fine job juggling all the things. But as I get older, I look back on those days and think, "Phew. How the heck did I do all of that? " Quite frankly, I was trying to prove myself --- both to myself and to other people. I pushed myself hard, and I think eventually, it would have taken a toll.

Now days, I pull that statement out when I'm considering taking on a new task or project. It's a barometer of sorts, to give me pause, and think, "Is this XYZ project/activity/event really worth it to me?"
                          Personally, I strive for a few things really well. Or better said, when I start dropping the ball or doing sub-par work, it's time to re-evaluate and reconsider my priorities. I still have to fight against myself, not to sign up for every activity on the block. It sounds great, but I KNOW that a week or two in, my anxiety will skyrocket.

My spirit craves order and completion. I don't like feeling unsettled. Unfinished projects make me crazy, as they nag and distract me. However, I have to learn to let things go. I can't do EVERYTHING beautifully. But I can do a few things really, really well. For this season of my life, homeschooling takes precedence. I've accepted the fact that I'd better pick two points of focus every day, or I'm apt to flame out and get nothing accomplished.
                          Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Dianna,
                            when did your daughter start a bakery business? How cool! For some reason I thought she was going to law school.
                            Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                            DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                              Dianna,
                              when did your daughter start a bakery business? How cool! For some reason I thought she was going to law school.
                              Oh gosh.

Here's the story.

She applied to law school at UL for early admission, and her application was held.
                              She was super upset, and started baking for other people. People told her she should sell her cookies, and the business was born.

She finally (at my urging) applied to some other schools and was accepted at NKU. She was planning on going part time, commuting, working, and going to school.

Mid June, she got a letter from UL for acceptance, and they wanted her to come to a 2 week intensive program. She thought it over, and her business was doing so well, she decided to put law school on hold. She rents space in a commercial kitchen, and is baking full time.

I said that I wanted my children to do what they enjoy, make enough money to raise a family, and not spend 60 hours a week slogging away for someone else. I just didn't expect that statement to come to fruition so quickly. My younger kids help her, too. My boys are the Packing and Shipping Managers, and when she's not busy at the barn, Rachel will work with her in the kitchen, garnishing cookies.

Plans for 2020-21

Comment

What a cool story. The cookies look amazing!
                                Dorinda

For 2020-2021

Comment

Working...
                                X