Colleges and Universities We Need to Know About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great thread pickandgrin!

I went to Midway College (now University), here in KY. AS in Nursing.

My husband went to Eckerd College in Tampa, graduating with a BA in Business Administration.

Neither of our alma mater schools are on our radar for our children.

I have a small working list, that includes Wyoming Catholic, Marian University in Indianapolis, Asbury College, University of Kentucky and University of Louisville.
    Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
    DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
    DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
    DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
    DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
    DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

DiannaKennedy Is Wyoming Catholic the school where they have a no cell phone policy for students? Two things: 1) I love that. May others have the guts to copy it. 2) It's wild that a college has to have an apparently Draconian policy in place to recreate *my* college experience. I graduated in 2000.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2020-2021
      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
        Art and Design:
        Savannah College of Art and Design/SCAD in GA.
        S was accepted here but finances made it prohibitively out of reach. This is THE school for what they teach, if you can afford it. Disney and other studios recruit heavily from here.

U of Texas- Dallas
        Has a smaller design department under ATEC. Housing is a major issue as they have a huge shortage for transfer kids, like my son. Freshmen are guaranteed housing.
        Does UT Dallas guarantee freshman housing for 4 years? I have a friend from Baylor who is a chem professor there that has talked up UT Dallas as has my sister in Ft. Worth. I didn’t know housing was a problem for transfers.
        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
        DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
        DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
        DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

I really appreciate this thread - so helpful to us personally. Our older dd is getting ready to apply to colleges in a few months. She dearly wants to go to Hillsdale, but is trying to see what else might work. Her bent is languages, liberal arts, etc. If she had more of a math/science focus, we might be ok with any old state university that had a strong program in whatever. However, a student interested in the world of ideas definitely needs a certain type of school . Our second daughter thinks she is headed for doing accounting, and even as a rising grade 9 student, it looks like it might be a good match for her.

For what it's worth, my husband graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering from the University of Baja California, and I have a BSN (nursing) from the Ohio State University. We've been blessed with great careers, personally fulfilling, and it's allowed us to live comfortably. I highly encourage nursing for interested persons; I understand it's not for everyone, but besides the opportunities and the pretty good pay, it can be emotionally rewarding and its flexibility allows it to be combined with family life.
          Ora et labora,
          Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
            What a great thread pickandgrin!

I went to Midway College (now University), here in KY. AS in Nursing.

My husband went to Eckerd College in Tampa, graduating with a BA in Business Administration

Neither of our alma mater schools are on our radar for our children.

I have a small working list, that includes Wyoming Catholic, Marian University in Indianapolis, Asbury College, University of Kentucky and University of Louisville.
            I love the thought of Wyoming Catholic, but as Jen in Japan said there needs to be a paying job at the end for my kids. My son wants engineering and there is nothing there that would transfer, but their outdoor program looks awesome. Maybe a summer program...I wish they had a gap year program that was one year of their outdoor leadership training along with some great books for those going into STEM. That would be perfect.

interestingly, I saw someone’s yard sign this morning on the way to violin that announced their child was either going to or just graduated from Eckerd. I had never heard of it, but it is apparently in the 40 colleges that change lives book. Why is it not on your radar? Baylor really isn’t on mine mostly because of cost (they no longer have guaranteed full tuition for National Merit and COA is like $60,000) and partly because I am no longer Baptist and Dallas has the closest TLM to Waco.
            Dorinda

For 2020-2021
            DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
            DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
            DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
            DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
              I love the thought of Wyoming Catholic, but as Jen in Japan said there needs to be a paying job at the end for my kids. My son wants engineering and there is nothing there that would transfer, but their outdoor program looks awesome. Maybe a summer program...I wish they had a gap year program that was one year of their outdoor leadership training along with some great books for those going into STEM. That would be perfect.

interestingly, I saw someone’s yard sign this morning on the way to violin that announced their child was either going to or just graduated from Eckerd. I had never heard of it, but it is apparently in the 40 colleges that change lives book. Why is it not on your radar? Baylor really isn’t on mine mostly because of cost (they no longer have guaranteed full tuition for National Merit and COA is like $60,000) and partly because I am no longer Baptist and Dallas has the closest TLM to Waco.
              Paying job at the end ...... This is my struggle. I look at colleges and think they look amazing, and I get all romantic about them (WCC). Then reality sets in.

Re:Eckerd. I actually have the book you mentioned (by recommendation from Cindy in Indy ) and when I opened it randomly, the FIRST section I saw was on Eckerd.

My husband went to Eckerd to play soccer. He was looking at Xavier and Eckerd. Eckerd got back to him first, and honestly, as much as I love Cincinnati, I wouldn't choose it over Tampa. ????

I asked Brett today, "Did Eckerd change your life?"

His answer? "Absolutely!"

He went on to tell me that they were required to take Western Heritage, and he felt like he'd been lied to all of his life in school. He'd never learned the importance of studying where we came from, how we got here. He realized that a liberal arts education was very different than what he received growing up.

He also mentioned the small classes and professors who connected with their students. Far cry from the huge public school he went to.

Later, he went on to study abroad for a semester and met a gentleman at a gym that impressed him. Turned out, the fellow had been homeschooled. So, liberal arts and homeschooling stood out in his mind as an ideal. It's funny to me to listen to this story and realize that God was planting seeds so many years ago.
              ​​​​​​​
              I asked him if Eckerd was on our radar, and why/why not.

He was pragmatic. Quite frankly, we can't afford it. Neither of us want our children to take on student loan debt, etc.
              Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Originally posted by chapulina View Post
                For what it's worth, my husband graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering from the University of Baja California, and I have a BSN (nursing) from the Ohio State University. We've been blessed with great careers, personally fulfilling, and it's allowed us to live comfortably. I highly encourage nursing for interested persons; I understand it's not for everyone, but besides the opportunities and the pretty good pay, it can be emotionally rewarding and its flexibility allows it to be combined with family life.

Registered Nurse chiming in here.

I don't know if I would encourage my children toward nursing or not. Maybe I'm jaded.

Like you ..... I have been blessed beyond measure with my career. But I feel like the atmosphere is so very different than when I graduated. I feel like students are fast tracked through programs, at a high cost. I hear a lot of folks talking about burnout, when they haven't been in the profession that long. Many people approach bedside nursing as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, and they're biding their time until they're through with graduate school, etc.

And, as I've gotten older, I tend to be more crunchy granola, so I have a hard time swallowing Western Medicine school of thought. ????

I'd love for one of my children to consider pharmacy school, or PT/OT/ST, or even chiropractic medicine. I'm all for flexibility.
                Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                  DiannaKennedy Is Wyoming Catholic the school where they have a no cell phone policy for students? Two things: 1) I love that. May others have the guts to copy it. 2) It's wild that a college has to have an apparently Draconian policy in place to recreate *my* college experience. I graduated in 2000.
                  I never noticed the Technology Policy until today when I was showing it to Brett. I was too distracted and enamored of the Outdoor Program.
                  Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Eckerd. That's a blast from the past. Back in the days when I was "destined" to become a marine biologist. Seriously. Talk about no jobs at the end of the line. The tuition was crazy.

Ooh...Nerd moment....that show SeaQuest that came out decades ago did a scene at Eckerd College. I even toured it and geeked out when I got to that part of the tour.
                    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                    DS (MP2) - 7/8
                    DS (K) - 6
                    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

I'd like to add in ANOTHER facet to this discussion ---- namely, did you receive any sort of guidance or career counseling from your parents, teachers, etc?

My husband went into business because ------ his dad was a businessman. But, the man LOVES science. As in, geeks out over science podcasts, documentaries, etc.

I went to nursing school because ----- I needed to get out of school and be self sufficient quickly. In other words, I needed a job that paid well, without years and years of school.

I'd love to hear about your experiences --- did you have help from mentors, or were you floundering solo?
                      Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
                        Eckerd. That's a blast from the past. Back in the days when I was "destined" to become a marine biologist. Seriously. Talk about no jobs at the end of the line. The tuition was crazy.

Ooh...Nerd moment....that show SeaQuest that came out decades ago did a scene at Eckerd College. I even toured it and geeked out when I got to that part of the tour.
                        No kidding. A cool 41K, according to a Google search. Now you see why I never put it on my list. Midway would be around 30K, plus added fees for equine classes.
                        Plans for 2020-21

Comment

DiannaKennedy

I was flying solo and floundering is a good word for it. Mostly, I picked convenient places to stop thinking. I was "destined' to be a marine biologist since I was 8 and I started out pursuing that for college. At that time (while I was 16-17) the only mentorship advice seemed to revolve around following passions and not so much about following real opportunities.

I was challenged once by someone just after graduation - find three "real" jobs, looking for a marine biologist. Find out what real income is possible. Remove about a 25% of it for taxes/benefits and such. Now, figure out if that will pay for real bills and I was to find those actual numbers - rent, electricity, car and car insurance, water, phone, health, and oh yeah, you have to eat...Now figure out if that works for any age other than a single 22 year old. Does a day in the life of this job look like one that works for more than a small window of time - before you are married and have kids? Then ask yourself: Is that degree an opportunity? Or did you spend a lot of time and money on a hobby?

The person that posed the challenge was not kind. He wan't intending to provide guidance. He wanted me to realize how immature my thinking was, how silly my passions were, and how retarded it would be to go into so much debt and have nothing to show for it but 4 years of enjoying a hobby.

His intentions aside, I truly believe it was invaluable advice. I think if high school students were instructed to do these exercises early, and get a better picture of the real world opportunities and even more importantly, the financial requirements to sustain the living that they want to have, it would help them find their way. How many times have you heard a college senior say "I don't know what I want to do now that I've finished X degree" or a freshman/sophomore say "I can't pick a major because I don't know what I want to do". My brain has changed that to mean "I can't figure out which hobby I like the most" and not "I can't figure out which opportunity path works best with my strengths and provides for all of my future responsibilities".

I don't know about you guys, but my passions have "moved around" to different areas over the years. How many random hobbies have you picked up since graduating college? Hobbies can be very expensive, but they are often much cheaper than a degree. Ooh, how many have you discarded? How many more do you think you might pick up?

We ask kids to pick one hobby or interest, and with very little real investigation, encourage them to spend in the range of $50K, $100K, or even $400K without fully knowing if their final choice is:
                          1) in the wheelhouse of their capabilities,
                          2) financially feasible to obtain,
                          3) actually marketable and in real demand (not a fantasy) with real examples,
                          4) requires a specific living environment or location, or whether the work hours are conducive to all other parts of life,
                          5) satisfies the need to provide for all future financial responsibilities (of which they can't know without calculating a minimum number based on real expenses and examples).

When I picked Chemistry later, it was because one person in the Chemistry department - literally ONE person - said it was easier to get a job with a chemistry degree because it had more value than a biology degree.

Unfortunately, I used that as another convenient place to stop thinking.

Funny or sad, but kids may spend more hours investigating factual information for some random research paper assignment than on answering these 5 questions. Wouldn't it be interesting if that were a college entrance assignment?

Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                          DS (MP2) - 7/8
                          DS (K) - 6
                          DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

I'm an idealist, so take this with a grain of salt: I don't think we should discourage kids from their vocations simply because it may involve debt. Should debt be moderate? Absolutely. But should we limit what God may be trying to do in our children's lives by making "no college debt" and a "middle class living" one of our big concerns? No.

And please understand that I say this as someone who grew up on food stamps and USDA commodities. My parents went through a drastic life change as I entered school and ended up not being able to contribute anything at all. I couldn't afford to do laundry or buy books while in college (I didn't tell my parents at the time because I knew they couldn't do anything). I couldn't work through college because of a health condition and therefore had to scramble every summer to work/pay what I owed from the previous year so I could return. And I've been paying off college debt for nearly 20 years, despite it only being $20k, because I couldn't make the payments for the first few years.

Here's what I've told my kids:
                            1. If God is calling you to something, do what is needed to follow that call; if every musician, artist, writer, or marine biologist followed the "you have to earn a [middle class] living" mantra, our world would be a sad place indeed. Is it easy? No. Is it your calling? Then easy doesn't matter.
                            2. Don't write-off a school because of the price tag; you never know what help is available
                            3. No debt is ideal, but if debt is necessary just aim for it to be moderate
                            4. Never assume that we can't help out with things like books and laundry; always ask

Just my two cents.

Jennifer
                            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                            DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                            DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                            DS11: SC 4
                            DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                            DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                            DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                              I'm an idealist, so take this with a grain of salt: I don't think we should discourage kids from their vocations simply because it may involve debt. Should debt be moderate? Absolutely. But should we limit what God may be trying to do in our children's lives by making "no college debt" and a "middle class living" one of our big concerns? No.

And please understand that I say this as someone who grew up on food stamps and USDA commodities. My parents went through a drastic life change as I entered school and ended up not being able to contribute anything at all. I couldn't afford to do laundry or buy books while in college (I didn't tell my parents at the time because I knew they couldn't do anything). I couldn't work through college because of a health condition and therefore had to scramble every summer to work/pay what I owed from the previous year so I could return. And I've been paying off college debt for nearly 20 years, despite it only being $20k, because I couldn't make the payments for the first few years.

Here's what I've told my kids:
                              1. If God is calling you to something, do what is needed to follow that call; if every musician, artist, writer, or marine biologist followed the "you have to earn a [middle class] living" mantra, our world would be a sad place indeed. Is it easy? No. Is it your calling? Then easy doesn't matter.
                              2. Don't write-off a school because of the price tag; you never know what help is available
                              3. No debt is ideal, but if debt is necessary just aim for it to be moderate
                              4. Never assume that we can't help out with things like books and laundry; always ask

Just my two cents.

Idealist vs pragmatist, but I love you regardless. I think our perspectives are definitely colored by our own personal experiences, as well as our temperaments. I tend to lean more toward zero or very little debt, because that's how I managed. Brett is more open to accumulating debt, based on earning potential.

I grew up much like you --- food stamps, commodities, AFDC, and balanced my grandmother's meager checkbook. I knew exactly how much money we didn't have. Hence my previous comment about getting out and getting a job that would allow me to take care of myself. I knew for a fact that there wouldn't be ANY help coming from my grandmother or my parents. I attended an expensive private college because I was poor and smart. Zero debt, compliments of work study, grants and scholarships.

I think we all want MORE for our children. For me, that doesn't simply more MONEY. I want them to have a career that will pay the bills, and allow for them to pursue their passions, without having to work a bazillion hours a week. I don't want them buying into keeping up with the Joneses, or for the girls, sacrificing family for career mobility.

My oldest went through the 'giving up her dream.' She wanted to be a music teacher -- she is talented, and she connected with one of her music teachers. As she progressed through some general ed classes and began doing research, she realized that fine arts is a sketchy place to be in the public schools. Cuts abound, and she would likely end up without a job. She bounced around in a few different majors (nursing, police work) until she landed in criminal justice and that's where she stayed. She graduated with ZERO debt --- because she worked her tail off through school with UPS.

Bottom line --- all of this decision making is H.A.R.D. I feel pulled in a million different directions. On one hand, I'd love for my children's college to be an extension of their homeschooling years. On the other, the JOB market and money looms large. God calling us to do something sounds wonderful, but I don't think I've ever experienced that in my own life. Seriously. Nursing comes very easily to me, but does that mean it is my calling? Who knows? I feel more called to be a mother, but maybe because it's more of a challenge to me.

I agree with you about not necessarily writing off a school because of a price tag, but again, pragmatically, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to hang hopes and dreams on a college that will only work out if all the financial stars are aligned.

What's moderate school debt? And I'm NOT asking this to be argumentative. I honestly have no idea, based on lack of experience.

PHEW. I'm telling you, babies are easier than navigating this. I feel like I'm operating out of a base of fear, which is no good.

Plans for 2020-21

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

What's moderate school debt? And I'm NOT asking this to be argumentative. I honestly have no idea, based on lack of experience.

PHEW. I'm telling you, babies are easier than navigating this. I feel like I'm operating out of a base of fear, which is no good.

I guess the number floating in my head is that I would hope they would have no more than 20-25k, but I wouldn't want them to go over 50k (and the quality of the education would have to be worth the expense).
                                Jennifer
                                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                                DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                                DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                                DS11: SC 4
                                DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                                DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                                DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Working...
                                X