Colleges and Universities We Need to Know About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colleges and Universities We Need to Know About

Sarah's engineering query and the bit about the hygienist's tip got me to thinking. One of the things I struggle with is realizing how much *I don't know and can't possibly learn on my own* before my oldest starts picking schools to investigate. Then I had this idea-what if we pooled our resources and shared what we know and are finding that might be easy for others to overlook? I've learned about two non-traditional colleges in the last year that I'd never heard of before. I'll share those and maybe, as others of you have time, you can share some gems we might overlook as well. It sure can't hurt, right?

American College of the Building Arts, Charleston, SC (liberal arts/master-craftsman fusion program, tiny)
    https://acba.edu/

Webb Institute, Glen Cove, NY
    Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (also tiny)
    https://www.webb.edu/
    (I think Melanie L tipped me off on this one?)

Lastly, the Classical Learning Test has a great list of schools that partner to accept their scores:
    https://www.cltexam.com/colleges
    Those that offer CLT-specific scholarships: https://www.cltexam.com/scholarships

Knowing each other's alma mater could help as well...both of us went to Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN. I have a BA in Bible with minors in English and Greek. My husband studied social work.
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 06-03-2019, 02:29 PM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

My alma mater is Houghton College in western NY. It's an excellent liberal arts school known for music and pre-med. Others I am familiar with because friends' kids go there are Liberty U., Regent U., Patrick Henry College and Grove City College.
    Last edited by Sugarbelle; 06-03-2019, 08:26 AM.
    DS, 13, 8th grade
    DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      Knowing each other's alma mater could help as well...both of us went to Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN.
      University of Florida, B.A. Classical Languages -- Go Gators!!

Interestingly though, I started as an engineering major intending to pursue biomed engineering. That's a very long story...
      Amanda
      Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Baylor University and my husband Oakland University

My first cousin (and I think his wife as well) went to Lipscomb and he loved it.
        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
        DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
        DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

University of Illinois
          me - Speech Comm/pre-med
          dh - Psych (for aviation) with Masters in Labor and Industrial Relations. He was going to be a pilot, and there was no degree in that back then; so standard practice was to get a psych major while pursuing aviation “on the side.”

dd - starting Wheaton College in the fall

Friends kids have gone/considering:
          Hampden Sydney (all male), James Madison, St. Vincent’s, Christendom, Liberty U, Franciscan U, UVA, Virginia Tech, USAFA, and VMI.

We’ve also had several of our friends’ kids enlist in the Air Force and the Navy, and one who is now a cloistered nun in Linden, VA. And friends from college went into the Sisters for Life in NY, and the Dominicans in Nashville and Ann Arbor.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          Last edited by KF2000; 06-03-2019, 05:50 AM.
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

My college experience was nothing exciting. I graduated from UMSL with honors in Psych and started the process for Masters/Doctoral program in Neuro Psych. Then husband and first baby happened, the rest is history I don't think I can recommend my alma mater, nor would I send my children there. The education I received was fine, but the atmosphere is not where I want my children to be..at least it wasn't many moons ago.

Wyoming Catholic College is on the list for son..IF he can earn some scholarships and it makes financial sense. Anyone know of more comparable colleges to this?

He is also discerning the call to the priesthood. NET team, youth ministry, military chaplain, are also on his radar. He is also very interested and talented in craftsman type of work so I'll be checking out ACBA..so cool! Thanks, Jessica! We shall see where the good Lord leads him!
            Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
            DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
            DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
            DD 9: 4th using 3A
            Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

My alma mater is Christendom College ('97-'00, History major; wasn't able to do my senior year due to finances)

Other schools on our radar:

Liberal Arts
              • Thomas More College of Liberal Arts in New Hampshire
              • Wyoming Catholic

Design
              • College for Creative Studies, Detroit

Trade & Mechanics
              • MacPherson College, Kansas (only school with a 4-year Bachelor's Program in Automotive Restoration!)
              • Just found out about this one yesterday -- it's a residential trade school for Catholic men! Trade curriculum, humanities curriculum, and 4 year apprenticeship with sponsor companies. They're hoping to open in 2020. We're definitely keeping an eye on it with our oldest.
                https://www.harmelacademy.org/
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
              MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
              MPOA: High School Comp. II
              HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
              MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
              MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
              HSC: Modern European History

DS12
              7M with:
              Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
              SC Level 4

DD9
              3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
              Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
              SC Level C

Comment

Oh my that new one is in Grand Rapids! That is so exciting. Not a live at home thing, but certainly not a bad distance.
                Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                  Oh my that new one is in Grand Rapids! That is so exciting. Not a live at home thing, but certainly not a bad distance.
                  I know!! It's only 1-1/2 hours from us and their curriculum looks AMAZING!
                  Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
                  7M with:

DS11
                  SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
                  Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                  SC Level C

Comment

OH! Mom2mthj I didn't want to get caught in edit-limbo so I'm posting this separately: the target tuition, room, board is $16,000/yr!!!
                    Jennifer

DS16

DS15

DS12
                    7M with:

DS11
                    SC Level 4

DD9

DD7/8
                    Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                    SC Level C

Comment

My alma mater is also the University of Illinois:

BS Chemistry - Chemistry dept was #5 in the nation at that time
                      BA Economics

Husband:

NROTC
                      BS Civil Engineering - Engineering Dept was (and remains) #4 in the nation behind MIT, CalTech, and Stanford; tied with GA Tech

We both went on to get Masters degrees, but I'll confine my comments to undergrad programs.

Even though I became a Catholic on campus through the Newman Center, I would not recommend UIllinois as a Christian community. It is, of course, possible to make such a huge school smaller by creating a group of friends and clubs that "make" the college experience. UIllinois had the largest Greek system in the USA when I attended, so do with that what you will.

When applying to college, we encouraged our kids to select three schools, minimum: A Safe school (easily within reach), a Reach/Dream school, and a Catholic school. Some of my kids applied to more than that, but the formula served all of them well for selection and variety.

I haven't seen the University of Dallas mentioned yet. It's considered an orthodox Catholic school with an emphasis on STEM. I have a good homeschooling friend who graduated her youngest from there (Physics) and he is in Seminary now to become a priest. He is so far ahead of his classmates in Latin that he had to sit out a few semesters so he wouldn't wreck the curve for the other seminarians, ha, ha.

One Hack I'll share with you that worked well for my daughter was to select a Common App essay question that she answered with a Christian viewpoint, then proceeded to select Common App Christian colleges and universities from the long list of schools which now accept the Common App. She was accepted to every university she applied to (Christian) except for the one, secular State U. Hilarious.

Jen
                      DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

My husband and I are both graduates of the University of Dallas. He graduated in ‘92 with BA in History and I graduated in ‘98 with BS in Chemistry. It is certainly on our list of considerations for our children and we remain engaged with the university.

Neither of us went for further degrees but I had started for nursing when the children finally began to arrive.
                        Regards,
                        Hollie

2019-20:
                        1-day/week co-op using MP materials
                        DD & DS - 10th: MPOA: 4FL, HS Comp II; MP streaming Biology; VideoText Algebra; 10th Lit, Light to the Nations II
                        DS - 7th, VideoText Algebra, MPOA: 2FL, Chreia/Maxim-Ref/Con
                        DD - 7th, CHREIA/Maxim, MPOA: 2FL
                        DD - 6A, 6th Lit.
                        DD - 3A
                        DS - 4yrs - pre-school/JrK when he will sit still
                        Using MP complete since 2016-17; bits and pieces for many years previous

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                          [*]Just found out about this one yesterday -- it's a residential trade school for Catholic men! Trade curriculum, humanities curriculum, and 4 year apprenticeship with sponsor companies. They're hoping to open in 2020. We're definitely keeping an eye on it with our oldest.
                          https://www.harmelacademy.org/[/LIST]
                          Whoa!! This is AMAZING! This would be absolutely perfect for my son if he goes the craftsman/ trade route. Thanks for sharing!
                          Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                          DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
                          DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                          DD 9: 4th using 3A
                          Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

I can see it now-their entire freshman class made up of Memoria Press kids. Ha!
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                            @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                            D · 8th
                            D · 5th
                            S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Art and Design:
                              Savannah College of Art and Design/SCAD in GA.
                              S was accepted here but finances made it prohibitively out of reach. This is THE school for what they teach, if you can afford it. Disney and other studios recruit heavily from here.

U of Texas- Dallas
                              Has a smaller design department under ATEC. Housing is a major issue as they have a huge shortage for transfer kids, like my son. Freshmen are guaranteed housing.
                              The Homeschool Grads:
                              J- 6/96
                              S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                              G- 4/04
                              D- 5/05
                              F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                              M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
                              X