DVD Lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Lessons

Do you all have your children watch the DVDs that go along with literature such as The Aeneid? I tried having my son watch the videos for The Iliad and we ended up dropping them after a week because he understood the readings. He has excellent reading comprehension, so I'm just wondering what the benefit of the DVDs would be in our situation. He likes to read, get the guides done and not prolong the lessons, but I want to make sure I'm not skipping over something important contained on the DVDs.
    DS, 15, 10th grade
    DS, 12, 7th grade

We watched the videos even though we understood the reading. There we some interpretations I had forgotten along with interesting tidbits that enriched our discussion. I felt it was time well spent.

Comment

My son (13yo) actually enjoyed watching the Aeneid videos this year. I seem to remember hearing that students could use the videos and the guide for note taking practice in a lecture format.
      Dorinda

For 2020-2021
      DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
      DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
      DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
      DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
        My son (13yo) actually enjoyed watching the Aeneid videos this year. I seem to remember hearing that students could use the videos and the guide for note taking practice in a lecture format.
        Did he enjoy the Iliad and Odyssey, too? I didn't mind the videos, but my son was just not into them. Is the Aeneid more engaging?
        DS, 15, 10th grade
        DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Shhh...he went out of order and did the Aeneid first. I do believe it is a different teacher.
          Dorinda

For 2020-2021
          DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
          DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
          DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
          DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
            Shhh...he went out of order and did the Aeneid first. I do believe it is a different teacher.
            Ok, thanks. I won't tell anyone.
            DS, 15, 10th grade
            DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

We dropped the videos halfway through Iliad. I enjoyed them as I found they offered some extra insight, but it was pretty slow. I didn’t need all the retelling the story. I already read it. I wanted more of the background context and insights that I didn’t catch. My daughter found them very boring though. And we were watching them together on the big screen projector (our version of a tv) and not in a computer, so it was hard to make time to regularly watch them. We got behind then just didn’t try to catch up. She specifically asked to not watch the videos for Odyssey or Aeneid. She felt her her time was better spent reading slowly (she is a struggling reader) than watching the videos but trying to rush the reading.
              i do plan to have her watch the Greek Plays videos because they are scheduled in the plans and appear to be much shorter episodes.
              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
              DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
              DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
              DS, 21, chemistry major
              DS, 18, Physics major
              DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
              DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
              DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

We did watch the DVD lessons, but we also listened to the Great Courses audio lectures by Elizabeth Vandiver. Those gave us more of the background context and language insights that we were looking for and were incredibly engaging.
                Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
                DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
                DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                  DS, 15, 10th grade
                  DS, 12, 7th grade

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
                    We did watch the DVD lessons, but we also listened to the Great Courses audio lectures by Elizabeth Vandiver. Those gave us more of the background context and language insights that we were looking for and were incredibly engaging.
                    klwalukas May I ask you if you remember how you combined these two resources in your schedule? And do you remember over how many weeks you spread the study of the Aeneid? The digital lesson plans I have don't account for the dvds, so I'm guessing adding them (and the audio lectures) must have taken longer than the ~ 20 weeks scheduled in the plans? Thank you!
                    DS (14)
                    DD (13)
                    DS (6)

Comment

We did the GC Vandiver, too. They are broke up by "books", so it's easy to schedule them. We usually put them on in the car. Audio lectures work much better for us than video lectures. ETA We haven't done Aeneid yet.
                      Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my coffee is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD 10th: Aerospace enthusiast. All AP & dual enrollment courses for 20-21.

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
                        We did the GC Vandiver, too. They are broke up by "books", so it's easy to schedule them. We usually put them on in the car. Audio lectures work much better for us than video lectures. ETA We haven't done Aeneid yet.
                        We wouldn't have car drives long enough to listen, but thank you for reminding me that not everything must happen during classic school hours: for us audio lectures once a week at dinner time might actually make sense, so daddy is involved too.
                        DS (14)
                        DD (13)
                        DS (6)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post

klwalukas May I ask you if you remember how you combined these two resources in your schedule? And do you remember over how many weeks you spread the study of the Aeneid? The digital lesson plans I have don't account for the dvds, so I'm guessing adding them (and the audio lectures) must have taken longer than the ~ 20 weeks scheduled in the plans? Thank you!
                          Sure! We used the Vandiver lectures in the car. They were fascinating! We would hit pause and talk about points along the way. We didn't refer to the Great Courses guidebooks. As far the schedule with the videos, I seem to remember it being roughly, Day 1: Read Chapter and do notes and vocab in guide, Day 2: Watch video, Day 3: Complete guide questions, Day 4: Delectare Discussion, Day 5: Catch up on anything we didn't get to.
                          Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
                          DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
                          DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post

Sure! We used the Vandiver lectures in the car. They were fascinating! We would hit pause and talk about points along the way. We didn't refer to the Great Courses guidebooks. As far the schedule with the videos, I seem to remember it being roughly, Day 1: Read Chapter and do notes and vocab in guide, Day 2: Watch video, Day 3: Complete guide questions, Day 4: Delectare Discussion, Day 5: Catch up on anything we didn't get to.
                            Then I'm glad I found the talks on eBay for a song! Thank you so much for your reply - it's tough to decide where to place the videos in the schedule before knowing anything, so the experience of others is very helpful.
                            DS (14)
                            DD (13)
                            DS (6)

Comment

Kristen and others who have listened to the audio lectures by Vandiver,

Did you think it was helpful to listen to the audio lecture before or after reading the Book? I see the Day 1-5 suggestion listed in this thread, but I wanted to clarify since we are getting ready to start The Aeneid this week.

Also, did you pace this over 15 weeks as the TG recommended? Did you think that was an adequate pace? Or too fast/slow?

Thanks for any suggestions!
                              Lauren
                              Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2020-2021:
                              10th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and local classes
                              8th grade DD: 8M and 3rd Form with MPOA
                              6th grade DD: Mostly 6M
                              4th Grade DD: Mostly 4NU
                              3.5 yo DS: Copious amounts of time outside beating on things with sticks; MP Preschool and Mom Extras 2-3 days a week

Comment

Working...
                              X