Theology Ideas for Catholic HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikkirxd View Post
    momgineer I have been looking at the Kolbe plans for High School and am thinking of trying those. I know they are intense. Do you think it is doable on our own, or worth paying for the online course? Kolbe's classes are really pricey, but I'm wondering, with a course that intense, if I would just not stick with it if done on our own. (dropping or modifying too many assignments). Hmm... on the other hand, we almost have a little group of our own for discussion if you count two kids plus me all doing the readings together, and I have read and discussed many of the primary sources (encyclicals and such) myself as part of my bioethics degree coursework. I'm thinking I could handle it alone if I'm committed to being diligent on assignment due dates. I'm debating the MPOA diploma program for them, and even if we don't do the diploma program, they will have so many online classes that I'm trying to decide if the Kolbe theology can adequately be done on our own.
    Two of mine have done Kolbe theology just fine on their own. Since you wouldn’t be enrolling and looking for their specific honors designation, the work outside of reading and doing the guide questions (which we often did as discussions) is not too much- two essays a quarter. The 10-12th grade Kolbe theology is a wonderful mix of an old solid (but dry) text for catechism type learning and church history which includes a lot of primary source reading and reading writings of the Saints and encyclicals. I think you would really like it. I wasn’t too impressed with the 9th grade one. It is entirely a year using the Laux book on Scriptures. I much prefer the Didache Understanding Scriptures instead of the Kolbe one. I’m still debating on doing Didache U S in 9th followed by Kolbe 10-12 or just doing all Didache for my upcoming high schooler.
    Kolbe in 10-12 is a lot of reading with lots of questions (which we often did orally after they had marked where the answers are in their books). It gives deep insight into church history with primary documents on such issues as the date of Easter and the Galileo controversy. Much theology is in the history portion, but the theology in the Laux text is pretty simple. If you are up for the big reading load, you should be able to handle it just fine alone especially given your background.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 20, Physics major
    DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
    DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      Has anyone looked at the just released Tan book Theology classes? I am so relieved to know that I didn't need to do their program, but wondered about the religion. I realize they are just revised version of an older book. I also wondered if NO could use those books. I believe the older versions were Latin Mass only?
      This IS intriguing to me. I have been getting the emails about it, but they were slow to get it all up on the website. It looks like it is all there now, and I will dig into it a bit more, as it looks interesting. We did use the old Our Holy Faith books years ago, and we really liked them. The parts the kids liked the least were the emphasis on the Latin Mass, as that was not what we attend, and also the Liturgical year info because so much of thar has changed as well. So from my experience, there is much they would have needed to update besides just pictures and typeface in order for us to want to use it again. But the high school option looks intriguing and I will be digging into that a bit more, too.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

howiecram I looked at it yesterday. For High School, at least, they have a "pre-conciliar" track that uses the Laux books as the spine and a "post-conciliar" track that uses the "Formed in Christ" series (co-published by Scott Hahn and St. Paul Center). I just looked at the sample course plan for 9th grade. I seems that the pre-conciliar (Laux) option relies on discussion and written assignments, while the post-conciliar option includes some tests. There isn't much of the lesson plan available to preview. Since our family attends the pre-1955 Latin Mass, I am interested to compare lesson plans from the TAN series using the Laux books to the Kolbe theology lesson plans since they use the same books. My "guess," with limited info, is that the TAN method is not going to include all the extra primary source reading as Kolbe does. I'm actually considering purchasing the lesson plans for a sample year, say 10th grade theology, from both TAN and Kolbe and comparing...... If I do, I will report back here!

Edit: Looks like TAN's lesson plans will not be available to download until May 10th
        Last edited by Nikkirxd; 04-07-2021, 11:54 AM.
        Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
        2020/2021 - 4th year homeschooling and with MP
        DS - 7th
        DS - 6th

Comment

After more investigation, it appears that TAN and Kolbe do not follow the same order of the Laux books, covering different topics in different high school years. Also, from the very limited sample course plan, I can see that TAN's course plans are going to be VERY basic. For example, the 12th grade course plan only contains 13 pages for the pre-conciliar track, basically just telling you what to read each day and to do an essay here and there. Kolbe's 12th grade theology lesson plan is around 90 pages and includes the detail that is common for Kolbe. IDK. I'm thinking that TAN provided the same spine as Kolbe, but Kolbe also included the "extras" like primary source readings. TAN just has the basic spine. Just depends on what each family is looking for. Anyone else evaluate it this way?
          Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
          2020/2021 - 4th year homeschooling and with MP
          DS - 7th
          DS - 6th

Comment

Has anyone looked at the just released Tan book Theology classes? I am so relieved to know that I didn't need to do their program, but wondered about the religion. I realize they are just revised version of an older book. I also wondered if NO could use those books. I believe the older versions were Latin Mass only?
            Which books are you referring to? I saw a class refer to a Fr. Laux book and I saw the series Sarah mentioned, but there were a lot of books when I searched Theology. I didn’t know Tan even had classes...I thought they were just a book publisher. I must be very behind the times. I know nothing about their program so I don’t understand your comment about being relieved at not having to use their program. Do you mean their classes or their books? Off to research a bit more...
            Dorinda

For 2020-2021
            DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
            DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
            DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
            DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

Which books are you referring to? I saw a class refer to a Fr. Laux book and I saw the series Sarah mentioned, but there were a lot of books when I searched Theology. I didn’t know Tan even had classes...I thought they were just a book publisher. I must be very behind the times. I know nothing about their program so I don’t understand your comment about being relieved at not having to use their program. Do you mean their classes or their books? Off to research a bit more...
              It's brand new..as in April 1! . https://tanbooks.com/tan-academy/cat...ol-curriculum/. It does look like it's just their books, with lesson plans. However, you can enroll. They updated the old Our Holy Faith.
              Christine

2020/2021)
              DD1 8/23/09 - MP4 (Math 5)
              DS2 9/1/11 - SC 5/6 2 year pace
              DD3 2/9/13 -SC2/Storytime Treasures/AAR

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR)

Comment

It's brand new..as in April 1! . https://tanbooks.com/tan-academy/cat...ol-curriculum/. It does look like it's just their books, with lesson plans. However, you can enroll. They updated the old Our Holy Faith.
                I guess I am not as behind as I thought.
                Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post

This IS intriguing to me. I have been getting the emails about it, but they were slow to get it all up on the website. It looks like it is all there now, and I will dig into it a bit more, as it looks interesting. We did use the old Our Holy Faith books years ago, and we really liked them. The parts the kids liked the least were the emphasis on the Latin Mass, as that was not what we attend, and also the Liturgical year info because so much of thar has changed as well. So from my experience, there is much they would have needed to update besides just pictures and typeface in order for us to want to use it again. But the high school option looks intriguing and I will be digging into that a bit more, too.

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  If you want to get rid of your old versions, let me know. We attend the Traditional Latin Mass so that wouldn’t bother my boys. I am still searching for a religion program that I like.
                  Dorinda

For 2020-2021

Comment

Question regarding Theology in high school...do your children complete it as part of their school day or is it an extra? Do you have it as a separate credit on their transcript? What do you cut back on to make room in their day?
                    Dorinda

For 2020-2021

Comment

It is part of our school day just like other classes. They get a credit for it- Theology 1-4. I don’t cut back. It just is. Every year they take math, science, history, English (lit and or composition/grammar), theology, foreign language (ideally Latin), PE and an elective. I am now adding in classical too separate from English and history. Depending on the child I have dropped math or science or history senior year.
                      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                      DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                      DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                      DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                      DS, 20, Physics major
                      DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                      DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                      DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

If you want to get rid of your old versions, let me know. We attend the Traditional Latin Mass so that wouldn’t bother my boys. I am still searching for a religion program that I like.
                        Sorry! When we moved here I finally passed them on to a friend in IL who is in the same situation.

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                        DS, 17
                        DD, 15
                        DD, 13
                        DD, 11
                        DD, 9
                        DD, 7
                        +DS+