Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Hello.

Henle 2 using our study guide is your new step. This will assign all the exercises in the second half of the Henle 2 text, preparing your student to translate Caesar. In 10th grade, she will move to the Mueller text and translate the actual lines that are on the AP exam. In 11th grade, she could do Henle 3 and translate Cicero, or if she is a motivated Latin student and feels up to it, she could do AP Vergil and take the AP exam. If she does Henle 3 in 11th, she would do the AP in 12th. (You might consider the online academy for the AP course).

This is where everything she has worked so hard on comes together - those years of high school where she is actually translating.

Michael might want to add to or change my post later, but I think this is the correct path. I know that Henle 2 is next. But he may prefer a different path after that.

Tanya
    You're good, Tanya! I crown thee the Queen of Latin
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

To follow up with next steps...

We don't have an AP Latin course being offered nearby, so we don't have to try to work toward that specific exam.

Our rising 10th grader has done Henle I, II, and III...

I assume we are fine to simply complete Henle IV also, right? Or would the Mueller or Virgil texts from the catalog be better options?

And then if we still have two more years after this, what then?

AMDG,
      Sarah
      Last edited by KF2000; 06-23-2019, 02:06 PM.
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
        To follow up with next steps...

We don't have an AP Latin course being offered nearby, so we don't have to try to work toward that specific exam.

Our rising 10th grader has done Henle I, II, and III...

I assume we are fine to simply complete Henle IV also, right? Or would the Mueller or Virgil texts from the catalog be better options?

And then if we still have two more years after this, what then?

AMDG,
        Sarah
        Good afternoon Sarah,

If the AP Exam is not on the horizon, then Henle IV would be an excellent and familiar text for translating Vergil. To confirm, has your son has already spent time translating Caesar and Cicero through Henle II and III? Or did he complete only the lessons?
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good afternoon Sarah,

If the AP Exam is not on the horizon, then Henle IV would be an excellent and familiar text for translating Vergil. To confirm, has your son has already spent time translating Caesar and Cicero through Henle II and III? Or did he complete only the lessons?
          Yes, he did the lessons and the translating from both of those. He did Henle II in a year (we had a teacher then) and then two years on Henle III - one on the exercises and one on the translating.

Super. Not earth shattering as far as excitement level goes, but steady and solid nonetheless. Thanks!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post

Yes, he did the lessons and the translating from both of those. He did Henle II in a year (we had a teacher then) and then two years on Henle III - one on the exercises and one on the translating.

Super. Not earth shattering as far as excitement level goes, but steady and solid nonetheless. Thanks!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            Thanks for the additional background. (And if you've told it to me before and I've simply forgotten, then mea maxima culpa!) Given what your son has done, you may be able to spend a year and a half or two years on Henle IV, especially if you choose to add the lessons on Cicero and the Cicero translation. As a Catholic family, you could then use the Latin Missal to create an excellent senior-year course for him.

HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Ah, good. I see what you mean - to flesh out the remainder. That’s great - good idea!

And don’t worry... I seem to ask every year - we have so many changes and so many to keep track of, it’s always a bit different once we see how far we’ve gotten in the previous year!

Thanks again!
              AMDG,
              Sarah
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 7.5
              DD, 5.5
              +DS+
              DS, 18 months

Comment

Yuqiu, I love your suggestion of Lingua Latina for extra practice. Is only that book needed or is anything else needed to go with it?

Thank you.

Comment

As the OP, I just wanted to pop in and report on how things are going so far. We started Henle 2 about five weeks ago after almost finishing 4FL (we never made it to the last 3 lessons which I understood to be okay). I am so very glad that we "moved on" to this instead of repeating 4FL, because there is so much review in Henle. It feels like such a great pace, and we love the layout of the daily lesson plans. For anyone else in the same situation, be encouraged that even if you don't feel like everything stuck 100% in the Forms series, you can still be successful and it begins to "stick" as you use it more in Henle. At least that has been our experience so far. My dd is very happy and looks forward to doing AP Latin in the future. She is enjoying Latin again and even seeking out extra books to practice reading.

I think I've complained about Latin difficulties pretty regularly here on the forums. But, I have to say that I LOVE Memoria Press Latin and am so pleased with the experiences we've had with it! I tell everyone that Latin is the hardest thing we do, but Memoria Press makes it doable.
                  2018/2019
                  Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
                  Ds 10: MP 5M
                  Ds 5: MP K

Comment

Working...
                  X