School Year Round?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Year Round?

Thinking out loud here...We started up the first week of August last year and will probably finish the last week of May. We have two solid weeks of 4H Fair-related activities and two weeks of camp/ camp counselor activities across June and July. We might take a week vacation. I guess that really only leaves us three weeks give or take, so I guess we can just finish up some electives. Dd doesn't want a lot of down time, though. What does "summer school" look like at your house?
    Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

I do not have a high schooler but do school year round. We keep going with all subjects and just take off when we want/need. As we finish subjects, we start the next one. I find for us, this works better than weeks off at a time. HTH!
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
      I do not have a high schooler but do school year round. We keep going with all subjects and just take off when we want/need. As we finish subjects, we start the next one. I find for us, this works better than weeks off at a time. HTH!
      Same here. Sometimes, we are ahead on one subject (like Math), but behind on another, like Literature. Also, since it's ridiculously hot and humid in this part of the world, summer isn't the best time to be "off" and kick kids outside. Instead, I take longer winter breaks when we have extended visits from Nana. I guess I do get a annual vacation period, but it's best if I don't block it out in case we get behind.
      Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
      DS (MP1) - 7
      DS (K) - 5
      DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

Since my daughter takes several online classes, those get priority. Summer is when she catches up on the stuff that was pushed to the side. This summer she is finishing algebra 2 and studying for the PSAT. She will be gone one week for the Hillsdale science camp and also hopes to work in lifeguard training sometime this summer.
        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
        DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
        DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

We don't start the year with the intent to school year-round, but that does sometimes happen depending on how the year has gone for individual subjects, or for individual kids. Their amount of break is determined by their amount of effort during the year! But it also happens simply because of scheduling. Both high schoolers are working 20 hours a week now, so that has slowed the sophomore down a bit as he adjusts to having more on his plate. But it has been worth it for him.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months