Recommendations for Spanish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for Spanish

My upcoming 10th grader would like to take Spanish next year, but I'm having a hard time finding a program. He's terrified of a grammar-based approach as he greatly struggled with Latin (there are other challenges involved that affect him academically). I looked at Avancemos but it is ridiculously cluttered and the learning seems somewhat buried in the culture/role-playing sequences. He is the type of kid who needs to be told "this is what we're learning" and "this is what you need to do" (his own words). I also looked at Rosetta Stone, but it wouldn't count for more than a first year course. I think that leaves a grammar-first approach as our only option but I want to make sure I'm not missing something?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Hi, Jennifer.

Cheryl Lowe always recommended Easy Spanish Step-By-Step by Barbara Bregstein. I'm sure it's grammar-first or it would not have been her top pick!

Tanya

Comment

Jen, I have Easy Grammar. It is grammar-first but has a lot of vocabulary. Too much, in my opinion, to master in a year. I’m still trying to figure out how to make it work for high school.
      ~Sarah~

2018-2019
      Ds 7th grade MP
      Dd 2nd grade MP
      Dd 1st grade MP
      DD 6th PS (previously homeschooled)
      Dd 9th PS

Comment

I saw somewhere that Cheryl Lowe liked Easy Grammar alongside Pimsleur for the listening aspect. I wasn't thrilled with Pimsleur, so we swapped Rocket Languages (still with the East Grammar). We're not that far along yet, but it might be something worth looking at.
        Amanda
        Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Jen,
          This program is done by a great local friend of mine and he's a true polyglot, 7 languages and currently adding his eighth-Arabic! https://daviddurham.org/language
          He has an "Introduction to Spanish" which might be light enough to dip toes in without too much extra workload. Perhaps you could add some hours by having him work on using it with local speakers to ramp up for a one year credit? He will produce a full credit Spanish option in the near future (ETA: he hopes to have it ready by fall 2019). French 1 is done and 2 is on the way. If nothing else, his multilingual welcome video on this page is a true inspiration!
          Last edited by pickandgrin; 03-17-2019, 09:38 PM.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
          @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Good morning everyone,

Originally posted by PrarieGirl View Post
            Jen, I have Easy Grammar. It is grammar-first but has a lot of vocabulary. Too much, in my opinion, to master in a year. I’m still trying to figure out how to make it work for high school.
            Yes, Cheryl agreed that too much vocabulary was the main weakness of this program. Jen, if you would like to try the program, possible modifications include slowing the pace and/or only memorizing part of the vocabulary and allowing the use of a dictionary for the remainder. Furthermore, whatever program you choose, you can reassure your son that the grammar of Spanish is much simpler than that of Latin. Perhaps the most obvious example? No declensions

Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post
            I saw somewhere that Cheryl Lowe liked Easy Grammar alongside Pimsleur for the listening aspect. I wasn't thrilled with Pimsleur, so we swapped Rocket Languages (still with the East Grammar). We're not that far along yet, but it might be something worth looking at.
            Correct, Cheryl recommended that one supplement Easy Grammar with Pimsleur, but any program that allows one to hear the language spoken and practice conversation should work.

HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Okay, we’ve decided to use Complete Spanish Step-by-Step (it’s just a 2-in-1 version of Easy Spanish Step-by-Step and the subsequent level).

Does anyone have any resources for additional form drills and exercises? From the samples, the exercises in the book look super short (5-10 lines for the concept and then you’re moving on).
              Jennifer

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16

DS15
              As above, plus:

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Would something like Duolingo work for that?

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 7.5
                DD, 5.5
                +DS+
                DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                  Okay, we’ve decided to use Complete Spanish Step-by-Step (it’s just a 2-in-1 version of Easy Spanish Step-by-Step and the subsequent level).

Does anyone have any resources for additional form drills and exercises? From the samples, the exercises in the book look super short (5-10 lines for the concept and then you’re moving on).
                  Good morning Jen,

Sarah's suggestion of Duolingo would work well as a supplement. For verbs, an excellent resource is studyspanish.com/verbs, which can generate targeted verb drills, e.g. -ar verbs present tense or all regular verbs in the preterite tense.

HTH!
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks, Sarah! I don’t think Duolingo lets you target specific items (I was using it to brush up on French and I had to go through an insane amount of repetition on things I already knew before I could get to where I actually needed to be).

Michael, this sounds like what I’m looking for — I’ll check it out. Thanks!
                    Jennifer

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16

DS15
                    As above, plus:

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                      Thanks, Sarah! I don’t think Duolingo lets you target specific items (I was using it to brush up on French and I had to go through an insane amount of repetition on things I already knew before I could get to where I actually needed to be).
                      I believe Duolingo has added placement exams so you can skip ahead to content that's new.
                      Michael
                      Memoria Press

Comment

There is an audible course called - Speak Spanish for Beginners with Michel Thomas. I used him to brush up on my French once (He has a few courses). There are no books. It isn't grammar based at all. It is conversational based. He takes it back to words you already know. I had to help my niece over the summer when she was taking Spanish with her homeschool program (through Texas Tech). There wasn't a lot of guidance with that program. I remembered this course and found he had done the same for Spanish. She and I were listening in the car and actually having a great time creating the sentences. It's actually fun to do with another person. There are 7-8 volumes, but you could get the 1st one and listen to it in the car or at home and it might build up his confidence a bit because he will be speaking useful Spanish quickly. I'm a really visual learner, but this was an effective program to building language "inside your head".
                        Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
                        DS (MP1) - 7
                        DS (K) - 5
                        DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

I’m having second thoughts about using a program with no lesson plans...has anyone used the Spanish program from Homeschool Connections?
                          Jennifer

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16

DS15
                          As above, plus:

Comment

Nope. Not us. Sorry!

AMDG,
                            Sarah
                            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                            DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                            DS, 16
                            DD, 14
                            DD, 12
                            DD, 10
                            DD, 7.5
                            DD, 5.5