Differences in NLE levels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences in NLE levels

I just realized that my daughter's teacher had the class registered for latin 3 prose rather than latin 3. Is there much difference? What would her options be for next year? I don't see much as to whether she has to take one labeled level 4 our if she could take a different level 3 exam. I find it confusing that some of the higher levels are 3/4 and 5/6. Any insights???
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

I think you should double check with her instructor on that. My oldest is doing Henle 2/Caesar and is taking level 3 (not 3 prose) per his instructor's advice. The instructor can look at the syllabus for each level and tell you whether or not that is appropriate. My understanding is that each year you must move up a level. Once you are in high school, you cannot retake a level. Double-check that though. If the instructor signed her up for that level then I would guess that she is prepared.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I had to call and ask about that this time too. My kids took level 3 last year, so this year, in order to move up a level, we registered for level 4 prose. They take the 3/4 test, but it is graded as a level 4 student rather than a level 3 student. Does that make sense? If they had not taken level 3 already, they could have registered for level 3 prose (same test) and it would have been graded for a level 3 student.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

Did they say what being graded as an older student entailed, Sarah? Sounds like that's where we'll be next year-Level 4 prose while studying Henle 3/Cicero.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
        D · 8th
        D · 5th
        S · 2nd

Comment

nope. I just likened it to our CAT tests - where there are actually only three tests...you take the same test four years in a row but are graded differently for it.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

She is taking it through Lukeion so I didn’t order the exam. They are taking it online,but I don’t think there is an option at this point to switch back down to Latin 3. The class has been pretty killer so I think next year we are either getting a tutor or moving back to MPOA for AP. I am not sure if there were topics covered in Wheelock that weren’t in henle 2 or if the MPOA just graded more generously or where things fell apart, but it has been an extremely difficult year.
            Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
            DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
            DS 10 - 5M
            DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that Dorinda. I know she's passionate about Latin and Greek. Praying that that fire keeps burning even though the hard year.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Comment

Dorinda,
                I am sorry to hear that too. I hope she will do as well as she hopes to on the exam and like Jess said, that she will continue loving the language study! We have also been surprised at how hard they have had to continue working - even at the higher levels of Latin. I thought once they were through “the grammar” then it becomes easy, in a way, but mine have found that it continues to be a real need to study. I just thought that was because we are doing it on our own, without a class or tutor. She has comrades in the fight though - if that helps at all!

AMDG,
                Sarah
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 7.5
                DD, 5.5
                +DS+
                DS, 18 months