Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin

Good morning,

I am seeking Latin placement advice. My son is currently attending a classical school this year but we are discerning his next year and may possibly bring him back home. He has completed through Second Form, Henle First year 1-5, and is currently in Jenney's First year at his school and doing well. Can anyone speak to the line-up of Jenney's and Henle? Where would I place him next year if he is home?

Thank you!
    Katie

2018/2019 5th year with MP
    DS 9th, DD 6th, DD 2nd: attending a classical prep school 3 days/week using mostly MP.
    Twin DD's 6: home with me and loving MPK!

Hi Katie, do you know how far he will get in Jenney's this year? When I used this book as a student, we only did about 20 lessons per year which was equivalent to about half the book, but your situation might be different.

From what I recall, Jenney's First Year was roughly equivalent to Henle First Year Units 1-5 or First & Second Form Latin. Second Year Jenney basically covered Henle First Year Units 6-14. That would mean this year is mostly a review for him. You're probably looking at starting in Henle Unit 6.

Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Director, Schools Division
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks for responding, Paul. Here is the school's course study:
      Latin I is Jenney's First Year.
      Latin II is Jenney's Second year
      Latin III "continues using Jenney's Second year for grammar review, with additions of Cloelia and Piso Illle Poetulus, selections from Familia Romana (Orberg), Lingua Biblica (Memoria Press), the Roman Missal, and classical authors"

Makes me wonder if he would be safe starting Henle II? Not that more review wouldn't be helpful, but he'd like to keep progressing and get as far as he can before the end of high school. I do value your input and judgement, however, and if Henle 6-14 is where he fits, that's fine too.
      Katie

DS 9th, DD 6th, DD 2nd: attending a classical prep school 3 days/week using mostly MP.

Comment

Katie,

That is quick. I went back and double checked and Jenney's First Year is equivalent to Henle Units 1-5 or First & Second Form put together. You would really need to do Units 6 & 7 of Henle First Year before going on to Henle's Second Year using our lesson plans.

Bonnie, I know you got rid of your post, but as a point of clarification, Jenney's had an old edition where Year 1 covered all the grammar and Year 2 jumped straight into translation. In the current edition, however, they slowed down the pace in Year 1 and put 20 grammar lessons (all of the subjunctive being included in those 20 lessons) at the beginning of Year 2. That's why Katie's son won't be ready to jump into translation is because he hasn't seen the subjunctive at all.

Paul
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Director, Schools Division
        Memoria Press

Comment

Yes, I realized that I was thinking of the 1984 edition of Jenney, not the updated version. So my comments were not pertinent. Sorry!

Bonnie

Comment

Thanks Paul and Bonnie. His book is the 1990 edition and after speaking with my son, he says he doesn't believe they will make it to the end of the book this year. So, yes, seems like Henle 6-14 would be appropriate. Thanks for helping me work through this!
            Katie

Comment

Working...
            X