Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many points for essays on Lit/Greek plays test?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many points for essays on Lit/Greek plays test?

We just finished the Oresteian Trilogy. The final is matching and multiple choice, with an essay at the end. I can't find anything that indicates how many points the essay should be worth. I'm wondering what others have done?
    Melanie
    2018-2019 ~ 5th MP year; 10th year homeschooling
    using most of 9th, 7th, and 4th grade cores

No one's grading essays?
    Melanie

Comment

Good morning, I seem to remember a post that involved one of the online instructors posting essay guidance for the literature essays. Unfortunately, I cannot find it (still learning the new format).
      I have to run this morning to take my car in for service, but I will look at some of the curriculum that I have when I get back. (I have IEW and Teaching the classics which offer some really good rubrics).

On a quick note though. From memory the rubrics give points for format (name, date, etc.), mechanics, and content.

Susan
      6th grade, Geo II, Christian III, 6th lit and read alouds (mostly), SOTW 2, Birds, RSO Bio 2, Spanish
      9th grade, SFL, Biology, BJU US History, Alg 1, 10th grade lit, Ever Ancient 2 Art

Comment

Hey, Melanie.

I did reach out to our Greek tragedies teacher to see how he grades these tests in a school setting, but it was Christmas break and he hasn't responded to me. I will grab him Tuesday when he returns to class if he hasn't responded by then. Sometimes, I have to corral teachers in their classrooms - which I am totally willing to do!

Tanya

Comment

If it helps in the meantime, I believe the test essays for Iliad and Odyssey were worth 15pts. It might give you a place to start
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
          MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
          MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
          As above, plus:
          MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
          MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

This is from Reading Roadmaps and is typically what I do when I assign an essay. Clear thesis 5 points (sometimes this is given in the prompt), supporting details 5 points, grammar and syntax 5 points, and coherent structure 5 points. The rubric in Reading Roadmaps also suggests a 5th element to the rubric which is engaging style which I would care about for a stand alone essay, but not on a test.

I see that your question may also be more leaning towards "how much to weight to give the essay in the overall test". When doing this, I normally give them around 15% of the test, depending on the test.

I'm definitely curious to hear from an instructor.
            Susan
            6th grade, Geo II, Christian III, 6th lit and read alouds (mostly), SOTW 2, Birds, RSO Bio 2, Spanish
            9th grade, SFL, Biology, BJU US History, Alg 1, 10th grade lit, Ever Ancient 2 Art

Comment

You mean how much the essay is worth as part of the test, right? In our cottage school the essays were separate assignments from the test, so I'm no help here. Each author has one essay/paper they refine multiple times. You can also give points for recitations if you assign any. Grading tips for that are in the back of the teacher book, I think. My son is doing one graded recitation per author. There student can pick the maximum grade based on the length.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
              @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I got an answer from the teacher! He said he assigns 20% to the essays on the test. Sorry for the huge delay. It's so hard to track down teachers during the school year.

Tanya

Comment

Thank you so much for tracking that down for me!
                  Melanie

Comment

Working...
                  X