No announcement yet.

Biology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whew! Two days straight plus a total of three hours in the car to/from Illinois each day — during rush hour both ways. I really hope MP has labs!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

I agree the samples look awesome. I particularly like the estimated time for the video sections to watch.
      Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
      DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
      DS 10 - 5M
      DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
        Whew! Two days straight plus a total of three hours in the car to/from Illinois each day — during rush hour both ways. I really hope MP has labs!
        The locations do move around and he does seem open to scheduling new locations. The one my daughter attended was at a Christian camp near Hillsdale in September and families could pay to stay in the camp housing and use the facilities. We drove about 21/2 hours and did bio and chem back to back - but the drive was much less stressful than driving in Chicago traffic. She did it with a friend and we took turns driving. For me, it was worth it not to have to dissect stuff in my kitchen. I did my frog in 7th grade and said never again.
        Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
        DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
        DS 10 - 5M
        DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

Hello.

We were going to link the MPOA labs website here, but it looks like it is out of business. Scott Piland is on vacation, but we will check with him next week about what he is going to do about labs in his online classes, and maybe we can find an option that works for everyone. This course that we have developed came out of the HLS classrooms, and the teacher has a lab and can do whatever she wants. But that doesn't help you! We'll be in touch as we look for a solution.

Tanya

Comment

Even if you could find a list of ‘bare minimum to say you’ve done it’ lab list would be helpful. I ‘love’ the dissections and the challenges they bring..still remember cutting open that worm while trying not to nick the intestine!! Good stuff...can’t wait but don’t want to go overboard too. But everyone should be able to close their eyes and remember the smell of that specimen preservative...it is a right of passage...a little bit of being an American....
            Regards,
            Hollie

2019-20:
            1-day/week co-op using MP materials
            DD & DS - 10th: MPOA: 4FL, Algebra II, HS Comp II; MP streaming Biology; 10th Lit, Light to the Nations II
            DS - 7th, MPOA 2FL, Chreia/Maxim-Ref/Con
            DD - 7th, CHREIA/Maxim, MPOA 2FL
            DD - 6A, 6th Lit.
            DD - 3nd
            DS - 4yrs - pre-school/JrK when he will sit still
            Using MP complete since 2016-17; bits and pieces for many years previous

Comment

Good afternoon everyone,

Mr. Piland is going to continue to use Froguts, which is now available for free, for labs. He said to use the following link: http://www.froguts.com/

HTH!
              Michael
              Memoria Press

Comment

Sarah, I appreciated your comments. It was actually helpful to me to consider that my non-science kid might benefit from that text.
                Christina

9th grader MPOA/state virtual school, 6th in private school, 4th hodgepodge homeschool (only girl), and a 4 year old pediatric cancer patient.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Good afternoon everyone,

Mr. Piland is going to continue to use Froguts, which is now available for free, for labs. He said to use the following link: http://www.froguts.com/

HTH!
                  Jumping in here ... I was planning on using Froguts this year. One word of warning, if you don't mind. If you have Macs in the house, it seems impossible (it was for us, even with the (limited) help they could give on the tech end) to get the Mac to allow you to use the Froguts download. They don't believe the online Chrome version will be supported past this fall (2019), so if a Mac family signs up for the online course, they may not be able to complete any of the virtual labs (one big reason I'm not signing my rising 10th grader up for the MPOA class ... we can't get it the Froguts download to work).
                  Brit

Catholic mom to five
                  Prospective 2019-2020:
                  Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
                  Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA (SFL, biology, Algebra 2), MP 10M lit, US history, and MoDG religion
                  Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, FFL, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
                  Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with SC C adaptations
                  Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

Jumping in here ... I was planning on using Froguts this year. One word of warning, if you don't mind. If you have Macs in the house, it seems impossible (it was for us, even with the (limited) help they could give on the tech end) to get the Mac to allow you to use the Froguts download. They don't believe the online Chrome version will be supported past this fall (2019), so if a Mac family signs up for the online course, they may not be able to complete any of the virtual labs (one big reason I'm not signing my rising 10th grader up for the MPOA class ... we can't get it the Froguts download to work).
                    Well that explains why I thought their site was broken! Haha! Thanks for the heads up.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                    D · 8th
                    D · 5th
                    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Oh, one question ... does anyone know if the MPOA biology class covers the same chapters as the MP bio schedule, or if the MPOA class covers the entire book?
                      Brit

Catholic mom to five
                      Prospective 2019-2020:
                      Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA (SFL, biology, Algebra 2), MP 10M lit, US history, and MoDG religion
                      Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, FFL, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
                        Oh, one question ... does anyone know if the MPOA biology class covers the same chapters as the MP bio schedule, or if the MPOA class covers the entire book?
                        Good afternoon Brit,

This past year at least, MPOA covered more of the book than we do, but not all of it. However, they are planning to incorporate our new guides next year, so perhaps the syllabus will be changing.

HTH!
                        Michael
                        Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good afternoon Brit,

This past year at least, MPOA covered more of the book than we do, but not all of it. However, they are planning to incorporate our new guides next year, so perhaps the syllabus will be changing.

HTH!
                          Thank you, Michael, for your reply. I love the idea of them incorporating the MP guides. That might be the best of both worlds for my rising 10th grader (well, he might not think so ).
                          Brit

Catholic mom to five
                          Prospective 2019-2020:

Comment

Hi Everyone,

We're looking into the issue with Froguts . . . I'm a Mac user as well! Just letting you know we're on it.

Scott Piland
                            Director
                            Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by spiland View Post
                              Hi Everyone,

We're looking into the issue with Froguts . . . I'm a Mac user as well! Just letting you know we're on it.

Scott Piland
                              Director
                              Thank you, Mr. Piland! (Oh, and do you know if the MPOA bio course will use the MP guides/pacing this coming school year?)
                              Brit

Catholic mom to five
                              Prospective 2019-2020:

Comment

Hi Brit,

This is something I'm talking about with Mrs. Peterson, as the class covers more ground than the guide. I should know pretty soon though - thank you for your patience!

Scott Piland
                                Director
                                onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
                                (877) 745-8866

Comment

Working...
                                X