Introductory Physics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
    To the original poster, if your student is doing well in pre-algebra in 8th grade, then I recommend Novare Introductory Physics in 9th concurrent with algebra. I teach Introductory Physics to our 9th grade algebra students, and they do very well. The math in IP reinforces the algebra they are learning and allows them to practice their algebra skills in the context of real, physical problems. Many physicists will tell you the best way to master mathematics is to study physics.

If you anticipate your student to struggle in algebra1, then taking Novare Physical Science in 9th will provide a buffer year while waiting for the math skills to come along. However, it will limit the upper level of science your student can complete in high school, so be careful of that. If you have advanced physics (trig-based) in your sights for 12th grade, then IP is the better preparation.
    Hi Cindy,

My son is doing very well in pre-algebra this year. Do you think the difference with your students and those of MPOA is that you are meeting every day and they are not? Do you think it is possible to successfully do IP at home? My husband can help with algebra, but neither of us are science people.
    DS, 13, 8th grade
    DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Sugarbelle,
      I meet with my IP students 3 days per week. I think the difference is that we know our rising 9th grade students completed pre-algebra successfully, and we have new 9th grade students take a math placement test to verify readiness for algebra. Home-based students may have registered for MPOA IP thinking they were well-prepared for algebra, when in fact they were not.

I don't think the IP text is any more difficult at home than any other science text. In fact, the support materials (review guides, quizzes, etc.) provided with the program are quite comprehensive and should give you and your husband the resources needed to guide your son through the course.
      Kind regards,
      Cindy Davis
      Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
      ds-24 college graduate: working, reading, writing
      ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
      dd-21 college junior: Nursing

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
        Sugarbelle,
        I meet with my IP students 3 days per week. I think the difference is that we know our rising 9th grade students completed pre-algebra successfully, and we have new 9th grade students take a math placement test to verify readiness for algebra. Home-based students may have registered for MPOA IP thinking they were well-prepared for algebra, when in fact they were not.

I don't think the IP text is any more difficult at home than any other science text. In fact, the support materials (review guides, quizzes, etc.) provided with the program are quite comprehensive and should give you and your husband the resources needed to guide your son through the course.
        Kind regards,
        Cindy,

Thanks so much for your input. My father is a retired chemistry, ecology, and physics teacher, and I had him look at IP last night. He thinks it's an excellent text for my son, so I think we are going to go with it for next next year.
        DS, 13, 8th grade
        DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Working...
        X