Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the dream list for Lit--Paradise Lost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the dream list for Lit--Paradise Lost?

I'm curious if Paradise Lost is on the dream list for high school literature yet or not. If no, I'd like to raise a hand to request a guide. I've listened to it a few times in the last year and have fallen in love. I may have even subjected my children to portions of the Ralph Cosham audiobook version in the van a few times.

As a sidetone, I can't believe how much D'Aulaire's Greek Myths helps you prepare for high school literature. It's astounding!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

YES! I would love this too.
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2018-2019
    DS 12, 6th Grade---MP 5M, IEW, Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Kolbe Physical Science, Speech Team
    DD 10, 5th Grade---MP 4M, IEW, Latina Christiana (two-year pace), Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
    DS 4 (almost 5)--MP Junior kindergarten, Myself and Others, "I See Sam" Readers, Singapore/Rightstart Math
    (Now we will watch as I start subtracting subjects off my signature. ha!)

Comment

We did teach Paradise Lost one year at HLS, but Cheryl and our teacher both thought it was too difficult for high school and would be a better fit in college. I think there is just a small section from Milton in one of the poetry anthologies, and Cheryl felt like that introduction was enough. (I can't look today because I am at our Crescent Hill campus for meetings with primary teachers.) So right now, that is not on our list of books to create a study guide for. Sorry to disappoint!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        I think there is just a small section from Milton in one of the poetry anthologies, and Cheryl felt like that introduction was enough.
        Checking for Tanya Poetry and Prose II includes 270 lines from Book I of Paradise Lost as well as Milton's Sonnet 19: "On His Blindness."
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Ah, no problem! I will always joyfully defer to Mrs. Lowe's wisdom. Where would I be without her influence?!
          My sons has that Poetry & Prose book this year so that's a win!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

As a sidetone, I can't believe how much D'Aulaire's Greek Myths helps you prepare for high school literature. It's astounding!
            In what way? Knowing the characters and stories? I'm finding the same to be true for 8th grade this year. My son just read The Iliad and then we moved on to "To Helen" in the American literature and poetry book and it's so wonderful for him to see the connections. I only wish I had this kind of education in school.
            Last edited by Sugarbelle; 01-19-2019, 04:08 PM.
            DS, 13, 8th grade
            DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

I have Gulliver's Travels on my dream list. I read it in high school and remember really enjoying it. I'd like my kids to read it, too.
              DS, 13, 8th grade
              DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post

In what way? Knowing the characters and stories?
                Yes, and much that would be considered "footnote worthy" in a high school literature book. I've listened to Divine Comedy & Paradise Lost this year and I keep thinking, my third graders know who he's talking about! Dante in particular opens so many lines with "Just as x-mythological character, describes the character, did such and such, so we... "
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post
                  I have Gulliver's Travels on my dream list. I read it in high school and remember really enjoying it. I'd like my kids to read it, too.
                  Good morning,

It's possible we might write a guide for Gulliver's Travels, but it would be several years away at the earliest. We want to finish guides for all of the literature taught at HLS before we even begin to consider what we'll do next.

HTH!
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                  X