Successful switch to MP in 10th grade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tehwrd View Post
    She is going through Beginning Latin now with Wheelock's. I wasn't sure how it would transfer if at all to Henle...
    Tammy,

How far through Wheelock's has your daughter gotten? Do you feel she has mastered what she has studied? It's possible that your daughter could start partway through Henle I, or it could be that she needs to review from the beginning of Henle I. We'd be happy to help you figure out which path is best.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Tammy,

How far through Wheelock's has your daughter gotten? Do you feel she has mastered what she has studied? It's possible that your daughter could start partway through Henle I, or it could be that she needs to review from the beginning of Henle I. We'd be happy to help you figure out which path is best.
      Hello.

She is just starting Wheelock's. She had started with First Form earlier this year, but I realized she wasn't going to get very far going that rote, so I was looking for something that could move her through the beginning things a little faster, maybe? She is taking the course through Homeschool Connections. She got through the first 6 lessons in First Form and has only had the first lesson in Wheelock's. This is way out of my comfort zone, because I didn't take any Latin through any of my schooling. Is starting her in Henle instead of Wheelock's a better option?
      Blessings,
      Tammy (new to MP)
      ds, 20 (graduated)
      dd, 16
      ds, 9

Comment

Hello.

She is just starting Wheelock's. She had started with First Form earlier this year, but I realized she wasn't going to get very far going that rote, so I was looking for something that could move her through the beginning things a little faster, maybe? She is taking the course through Homeschool Connections. She got through the first 6 lessons in First Form and has only had the first lesson in Wheelock's. This is way out of my comfort zone, because I didn't take any Latin through any of my schooling. Is starting her in Henle instead of Wheelock's a better option?
        I would recommend Henle over Wheelock's. The latter is a college-level text that introduces content very rapidly, rushes into translation, and embraces a spiral approach to Latin. Henle better organizes concepts, provides a much firmer foundation in grammar forms, and moves at a much more appropriate pace.

We have teacher manuals, quizzes, and vocabulary flashcards for Henle I so you will have help if you choose to teach Henle at home. If you're open to MPOA, your daughter could begin Henle I now and finish through unit 5 over the summer, then take units 6-14 as a junior and Henle II as a senior. This will complete the bulk of the Latin grammar and allow her to translate some Caesar before graduating high-school. Most importantly, she will have mastered what she has learned and be much better prepared to continue Latin in college or switch to a different foreign language.

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

I would recommend Henle over Wheelock's. The latter is a college-level text that introduces content very rapidly, rushes into translation, and embraces a spiral approach to Latin. Henle better organizes concepts, provides a much firmer foundation in grammar forms, and moves at a much more appropriate pace.

We have teacher manuals, quizzes, and vocabulary flashcards for Henle I so you will have help if you choose to teach Henle at home. If you're open to MPOA, your daughter could begin Henle I now and finish through unit 5 over the summer, then take units 6-14 as a junior and Henle II as a senior. This will complete the bulk of the Latin grammar and allow her to translate some Caesar before graduating high-school. Most importantly, she will have mastered what she has learned and be much better prepared to continue Latin in college or switch to a different foreign language.

HTH!
          Thank you so much for this! It absolutely does help. Unfortunately MPOA isn't an option financially for us at this time, but I will look into the Henle I material. Is that an available option with one of the curriculum packages? I see where First Form 4 with Henle I is available, but I wasn't sure if that was the same or different. Thank you so much!
          Blessings,
          Tammy (new to MP)
          ds, 20 (graduated)
          dd, 16
          ds, 9

Comment

I see where First Form 4 with Henle I is available, but I wasn't sure if that was the same or different.
            Fourth Form is a different program that uses Henle as a supplement. You will want this set instead. (The accompanying flashcards are optional and thus sold separately.) This set is not one of the pre-programmed options for a curriculum package on the website, but if you call or email your order then one of our representatives can manually add it to your package.

Have a good evening!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Typing at the same time as Michael! Hoping it’s still helpful though!

Tammy,
              Henle is not included in a grade-level Core because the Core curriculum uses the Forms series instead, which allows younger children to start earlier and learn it more slowly.

Think of the Latin Grammar as a specific chunk of information to be learned. MP offers two paths to learn the whole chunk:

1). Completing all four levels of the Forma series: First Form, Second Form, Third Form, and Fourth Form. This takes roughly four years (sometimes a bit more). Kids who start in 5th can get it all done by the end of 8th, or the early part of high school, which leaves them time to learn how o actually read things in Latin. Kids who are older can still use this path, and even go a bit faster through First and Second Forms because they can ha sleep it better.

or

2). Using Henle Year One to learn the same chunk of material, divided over two years or so. Obviously going so much faster means a student needs to be older to handle it all - which usually means kids are in 7th or higher. This still gives them time to learn the grammar and then spend a couple years translating.

It’s an either/or thing. MP used the Forms in the Cores, so that is what is included in their lesson plans. But the MP guides for Henle I include lesson plans in the guides themselves, so you still know exactly what to do each day.

The reason you see Henle I included with Fourth Form is that the level uses the Henle I text for the exercises, instead of having a workbook.

Does that help clarify things?
              AMDG,
              Sarah

2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
              DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 7.5
              DD, 5.5
              +DS+
              DS, 18 months

Comment

Fourth Form is a different program that uses Henle as a supplement. You will want this set instead. (The accompanying flashcards are optional and thus sold separately.) This set is not one of the pre-programmed options for a curriculum package on the website, but if you call or email your order then one of our representatives can manually add it to your package.

Have a good evening!
                Perfect! Thank you!
                Blessings,
                Tammy (new to MP)
                ds, 20 (graduated)
                dd, 16
                ds, 9

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                  Typing at the same time as Michael! Hoping it’s still helpful though!

Tammy,
                  Henle is not included in a grade-level Core because the Core curriculum uses the Forms series instead, which allows younger children to start earlier and learn it more slowly.

Think of the Latin Grammar as a specific chunk of information to be learned. MP offers two paths to learn the whole chunk:

1). Completing all four levels of the Forma series: First Form, Second Form, Third Form, and Fourth Form. This takes roughly four years (sometimes a bit more). Kids who start in 5th can get it all done by the end of 8th, or the early part of high school, which leaves them time to learn how o actually read things in Latin. Kids who are older can still use this path, and even go a bit faster through First and Second Forms because they can ha sleep it better.

or

2). Using Henle Year One to learn the same chunk of material, divided over two years or so. Obviously going so much faster means a student needs to be older to handle it all - which usually means kids are in 7th or higher. This still gives them time to learn the grammar and then spend a couple years translating.

It’s an either/or thing. MP used the Forms in the Cores, so that is what is included in their lesson plans. But the MP guides for Henle I include lesson plans in the guides themselves, so you still know exactly what to do each day.

The reason you see Henle I included with Fourth Form is that the level uses the Henle I text for the exercises, instead of having a workbook.

Does that help clarify things?
                  AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  Yes, this makes sense. Thank you!
                  Blessings,
                  Tammy (new to MP)
                  ds, 20 (graduated)
                  dd, 16
                  ds, 9

Comment

Working...
                  X