Successful switch to MP in 10th grade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful switch to MP in 10th grade?

Hello! I am switching my 4th grader to MP next month. I’m debating whether or not it would work well to switch my 10th grader. She is currently taking a beginning Latin class through Homeschool Connections using Wheelock’s. I am looking for input on whether it’s even realistic to make that kind of switch at this point and if so, what might be recommended. We just moved and will be doing school throu the summer after taking a bunch of time off.
    Blessings,
    Tammy (new to MP)
    ds, 20 (graduated)
    dd, 16
    ds, 9

My friend Angel is fond of saying, "It's never too late to get a great education!" Yes, there are definitely things your 10th grader can enjoy over the next few years in high school. To find out exactly what, I would recommend calling MP directly to talk through her background and see which MP things align with your vision of her remaining high school years as well as compliment your state's graduation requirements. By high school, almost zero MP students are still in a complete core. There are many things to choose from: literature sets, classical studies, composition, logic, etc. One heads up I will give you is that she might be interested in the accelerated Classical Composition Sequence through the Memoria Press Online Academy (link below). This sequence would allow her to work through about 8 of the 14 levels in the next two school years.

With limited time, you have to go after a few of the very best things and put out of mind all the things you've "missed." It is OK. Secondary education is not the end of learning. If I had two years of high school to work with, I would add:
    • Latin (stick with what you have or consider Henle 1 either at home or with MPOA)
    • the two year sequence of Ancient Greeks/Iliad/Odyssey and Ancient Romans/Aeneid (this is the backbone of classical learning)
    • two years of Logic (Traditional 1 & 2, then Material and Classical Rhetoric)
    • a few of the literature selections each year (there are more than any of us can complete in high school!)--including at least one Shakespeare.
    • For composition, I recommend the MPOA High School Comp 1 & 2 option.
    • If you are already chugging along with math and science, there's no need to make adjustments.

Please keep us posted as you think things through and make decisions. I've seen first-hand what a few years of MP can do in a high schooler's education. Truly, it's never too late.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      My friend Angel is fond of saying, "It's never too late to get a great education!" Yes, there are definitely things your 10th grader can enjoy over the next few years in high school. To find out exactly what, I would recommend calling MP directly to talk through her background and see which MP things align with your vision of her remaining high school years as well as compliment your state's graduation requirements. By high school, almost zero MP students are still in a complete core. There are many things to choose from: literature sets, classical studies, composition, logic, etc. One heads up I will give you is that she might be interested in the accelerated Classical Composition Sequence through the Memoria Press Online Academy (link below). This sequence would allow her to work through about 8 of the 14 levels in the next two school years.

With limited time, you have to go after a few of the very best things and put out of mind all the things you've "missed." It is OK. Secondary education is not the end of learning. If I had two years of high school to work with, I would add:
      • Latin (stick with what you have or consider Henle 1 either at home or with MPOA)
      • the two year sequence of Ancient Greeks/Iliad/Odyssey and Ancient Romans/Aeneid (this is the backbone of classical learning)
      • a few of the literature selections each year (there are more than any of us can complete in high school!)--including at least one Shakespeare.
      • For composition, I recommend the MPOA High School Comp 1 & 2 option.
      • If you are already chugging along with math and science, there's no need to make adjustments.

Please keep us posted as you think things through and make decisions. I've seen first-hand what a few years of MP can do in a high schooler's education. Truly, it's never too late.
      Thank you so much! I have really gone back and forth on whether switch to MP was a good idea. I will call MP and see what they recommend. Thank you so much for your suggestions - they are immensely helpful as I look at what we have done. I wish I had made the switch years ago, but since I didn’t, we are moving forward from here.
      Blessings,
      Tammy (new to MP)
      ds, 20 (graduated)
      dd, 16
      ds, 9

Comment

Hi Tammy! Welcome to MP as well!
        Jessica has given you great pointers to start out, and I wanted to add some thoughts because we also use Homeschool Connections for some of our high school subjects. I don't know if you use live classes, or if you have chosen the recorded class option. We use the recorded classes because it is extremely economical for our family. So that is how I am basing my suggestions.

When I am planning things out, I usually begin with the basic core MP has put together, and see how we can accomplish progress in each of those main areas. Do you have the MP Magalog - The Classical Teacher - ? If not, make sure to sign up to receive it through the website. It is also available on the website, but for me, I love having the physical catalog in hand when I am planning so I can pull up HC and compare the two at the same time.

Here is how I would go through the list of the core content areas:
        1. Latin. You said your daughter is doing the Wheelock's class on HC. From that, you have the benefit of a teacher, but you have the disadvantage of the fact that Wheelock's is a course designed for college students, is not as logically presented as Henle, and is therefore quite a bit more challenging than Henle. My suggestion to you is that since you are right at the beginning, and you expect to have a full two years to go, I would switch to Henle. In that two years, your daughter should be able to get through all of Henle Year One - which is the bulk of the Latin grammar and will set her up well to keep going in college, or at least feel a sense of accomplishment for how much she was able to do. Memoria Press has two guides that walk you through Henle I, and these are excellent. They give the daily breakdown of work, as well as explanations in addition to what is already in the textbook. Lastly, I just noticed that HC added classes in Henle this year, so those classes are supposed to be added to the options for recorded classes this spring (any time now). So she could follow along with the class, and use the MP guide as well, and she should have more than enough help.

2. Christian Studies. I have found it very difficult to have my high schoolers complete something from MP's Christian Studies path as well as cover Catholic Theology courses. So we have opted to either use courses from HC for this, or to use one of the full-year Didache courses from Midwest Theological Forum. They are excellent. And for more exciting news...HC is adding recorded courses of the Didache books this spring also...yay!

3. Composition. I agree with Jessica's recommendation that you look at doing the high school series of classes with MPOA. The Classical Composition program is excellent, and well worth the time/effort/money it takes to learn it. This is the one area I am going to push for my 10th grader to do with MPOA next year too because it is so hard to give it ample time these days. I got to briefly sit in on one of the sessions at Sodalitas last year and the instructor was amazing.

4. Classical Studies / Literature. I have grouped these two together because, again, this is something I have found from experience with my high schoolers is that they seem to end up overlapping a great deal in terms of how much time we have. How much you accomplish here will really depend on how strong your daughter is at reading and writing. If this is an area of strength for her, I would say go ahead and try to keep a strain of each going each year. But if that seems to overwhelming, I would suggest combining them into a single stream and do it well rather than spread yourself (that is, her) too thinly. And what you do would depend on what she has done already. Also, I know HC has courses that you could line up to help her tackle the "biggies." So you could have her do them through HC, or through MP, whichever seems to be the better choice for her. But the suggested path is:
        - The book of the Ancient Greeks; Iliad, Odyssey;
        -The Book of the Ancient Romans; Aeneid;
        -Greek Plays
        -Divine Comedy
        -Cicero's On Obligations & The Laws (I added that as that is what we do next)

Now, how you could manage to do that is to use the Mill's Books (or HC history classes) to cover the Ancients in history, and use the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid as her literature selections.
        Then for year 2, you could do a Modern European History progression, and use the Divine Comedy (either with MP or HC) as her literature.
        That would get you the bulk of the greatest options available in just the two years that you have.

But as Jessica mentioned, you would also want to keep in mind what requirements you have for Kansas in order to graduate high school. And what she has done already. If the Ancients and those great books are things she has already covered, let us know and we can help you come up with another two years of ideas. Or see below for more ideas about history, specifically.

5. Logic. MP's initial two courses for Logic, Traditional Logic I & II, are great, and are available on HC, too. So you would be set for her to take those. I usually include them in English though, which, if she is doing an online composition class, you might find that to be time-filling enough. So I would not stress over trying to fit this into your timeframe. It would be good to do, but is not absolutely essential either.

6. Math/Science. You probably know where she is for these. But I can offer suggestions if you need them. We have used both MPOA and HC for science, and have been really happy with each. Math we have always done on our own, using the books recommended by MP, and my kids have done well.

7. History. This would depend on what she has done/not done yet. (see above with Literature ideas). MP offers a two-year course of American history, and a two-year course of Modern European History. Their guides break each textbook up over two years, but are really just study guides with questions to answer. It is difficult to make them into a "full" course unless you are reading along and able to discuss them well with your child. MPOA would be another good option here, as they have excellent courses for these, or HC does as well.

If what she needs to do is cover Modern European history in one year, and American history in the second, I would recommend having a class to help her go at that pace. It's just so much material to cover, that trying to read and digest that much will be a real challenge. Having a teacher be able to highlight was is essential so that there is actually a valuable learning experience will be better than trying to cover everything. I would look at the options from MPOA and HC, weigh your costs, and choose accordingly.

I hope that is a start that will generate ideas for you as you plan. I am so glad you have found MP, and hopefully we can give you some advice to get started. Don't forget that MP offers individual lesson plans for any of their subjects in high school, so that can be a real help in planning as well. For example, if you got the LP for Classical Studies for the Greek and Roman books, it would help you decide how to plan each - just going at a faster pace!

God bless,
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        Last edited by KF2000; 01-19-2019, 09:29 AM.
        2018-2019
        DD 18 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
        DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 14 months

Comment

My oldest has switched to MP for 10th grade. She is currently using 8M with a few changes. We settled on First Form Latin, which means she may not get through Fourth Form, but I like to cover math and Latin year round, so we’ll just keep plugging away and get as far as we can. We are doing the accelerated pace of two Classical Composition books per year, so she should get through book 6. I’ve found it helpful to “plan backwards” for high school. I decided 10M seemed like a great place to end high school, and we are striving to finish there. We won’t quite get there for Latin and Composition, and I may sub out a few things like literature books or Christian studies. I know I want her to get to rhetoric and Divine Comedy, so I’ll have to make some substitutions.
          Holly,
          mom to:
          DD 16 & DS 13--8M
          DD 11 & DD 8--3A
          DS 4--jr. K

Comment

Holly,
            "Plan backward" is great advice!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
            Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
            DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
            www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

• the two year sequence of Ancient Greeks/Iliad/Odyssey and Ancient Romans/Aeneid (this is the backbone of classical learning) She is working through Greek/Roman History and Iliad/Odyssey/Aenid this year with Homeschool Connections - would that change your suggestion here?
              • For composition, I recommend the MPOA High School Comp 1 & 2 option. I am definitely going to look into this! Thank you!
              • If you are already chugging along with math and science, there's no need to make adjustments. She does like her math program but is not a fan of her science, Apologia, and honestly neither am I. I'm curious about MP's science offerings.

Thank you so much! My rising 5th grader seems simple! My rising 11th grader is giving me some anxiety!
              Blessings,
              Tammy (new to MP)
              ds, 20 (graduated)
              dd, 16
              ds, 9

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                Hi Tammy! Welcome to MP as well!
                Jessica has given you great pointers to start out, and I wanted to add some thoughts because we also use Homeschool Connections for some of our high school subjects. I don't know if you use live classes, or if you have chosen the recorded class option. We use the recorded classes because it is extremely economical for our family. So that is how I am basing my suggestions. We use the recorded option too!

When I am planning things out, I usually begin with the basic core MP has put together, and see how we can accomplish progress in each of those main areas. Do you have the MP Magalog - The Classical Teacher - ? If not, make sure to sign up to receive it through the website. It is also available on the website, but for me, I love having the physical catalog in hand when I am planning so I can pull up HC and compare the two at the same time. I do get the Magalog! I'm not sure I have the most recent one because we moved a few weeks ago.

Here is how I would go through the list of the core content areas:
                1. Latin. You said your daughter is doing the Wheelock's class on HC. From that, you have the benefit of a teacher, but you have the disadvantage of the fact that Wheelock's is a course designed for college students, is not as logically presented as Henle, and is therefore quite a bit more challenging than Henle. My suggestion to you is that since you are right at the beginning, and you expect to have a full two years to go, I would switch to Henle. In that two years, your daughter should be able to get through all of Henle Year One - which is the bulk of the Latin grammar and will set her up well to keep going in college, or at least feel a sense of accomplishment for how much she was able to do. Memoria Press has two guides that walk you through Henle I, and these are excellent. They give the daily breakdown of work, as well as explanations in addition to what is already in the textbook. Lastly, I just noticed that HC added classes in Henle this year, so those classes are supposed to be added to the options for recorded classes this spring (any time now). So she could follow along with the class, and use the MP guide as well, and she should have more than enough help. Should I start her with Henle I after doing the beginning Latin with Wheelock, or would you suggest I switch her to Henle now? Would you recommend the DVDs for Henle or just going through it with her myself?

2. Christian Studies. I have found it very difficult to have my high schoolers complete something from MP's Christian Studies path as well as cover Catholic Theology courses. So we have opted to either use courses from HC for this, or to use one of the full-year Didache courses from Midwest Theological Forum. They are excellent. And for more exciting news...HC is adding recorded courses of the Didache books this spring also...yay! We used Didache Introduction to Catholicism - just on our own. I wonder if she would like them better with the HC class? I'll consider that. I wondered if MP's Christian Studies plus Catholic Theology would be too much. She's not a strong student and she doesn't love school at all, so overwhelming her is a fast track to disaster!

3. Composition. I agree with Jessica's recommendation that you look at doing the high school series of classes with MPOA. The Classical Composition program is excellent, and well worth the time/effort/money it takes to learn it. This is the one area I am going to push for my 10th grader to do with MPOA next year too because it is so hard to give it ample time these days. I got to briefly sit in on one of the sessions at Sodalitas last year and the instructor was amazing. Thank you for this! After two votes for MPOA and Classical Composition, I will definitely look into it. We struggle mightily with writing and I suspect that she will do better for someone who is not me!

4. Classical Studies / Literature. I have grouped these two together because, again, this is something I have found from experience with my high schoolers is that they seem to end up overlapping a great deal in terms of how much time we have. How much you accomplish here will really depend on how strong your daughter is at reading and writing. If this is an area of strength for her, I would say go ahead and try to keep a strain of each going each year. But if that seems to overwhelming, I would suggest combining them into a single stream and do it well rather than spread yourself (that is, her) too thinly. And what you do would depend on what she has done already. Also, I know HC has courses that you could line up to help her tackle the "biggies." So you could have her do them through HC, or through MP, whichever seems to be the better choice for her. But the suggested path is:
                - The book of the Ancient Greeks; Iliad, Odyssey;
                -The Book of the Ancient Romans; Aeneid;
                -Greek Plays
                -Divine Comedy
                -Cicero's On Obligations & The Laws (I added that as that is what we do next)

Now, how you could manage to do that is to use the Mill's Books (or HC history classes) to cover the Ancients in history, and use the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid as her literature selections.
                Then for year 2, you could do a Modern European History progression, and use the Divine Comedy (either with MP or HC) as her literature.
                That would get you the bulk of the greatest options available in just the two years that you have. She is actually doing HC courses for Ancient/Greek/Roman history as well as Iliad. Odyssey, and Aenid - she will be through those before the start of her 11th grade year. In light of that, how would you structure 11th & 12th grades?

But as Jessica mentioned, you would also want to keep in mind what requirements you have for Kansas in order to graduate high school. And what she has done already. If the Ancients and those great books are things she has already covered, let us know and we can help you come up with another two years of ideas. Or see below for more ideas about history, specifically.

5. Logic. MP's initial two courses for Logic, Traditional Logic I & II, are great, and are available on HC, too. So you would be set for her to take those. I usually include them in English though, which, if she is doing an online composition class, you might find that to be time-filling enough. So I would not stress over trying to fit this into your timeframe. It would be good to do, but is not absolutely essential either. This is good information. She gets easily overwhelmed, and then she just shuts down. I would really like for her to take these, so I'll see how that goes!

6. Math/Science. You probably know where she is for these. But I can offer suggestions if you need them. We have used both MPOA and HC for science, and have been really happy with each. Math we have always done on our own, using the books recommended by MP, and my kids have done well. We are good with her math, but science is up in the air. We're trudging through Apologia Biology right now and it is definitely NOT something we love.

7. History. This would depend on what she has done/not done yet. (see above with Literature ideas). MP offers a two-year course of American history, and a two-year course of Modern European History. Their guides break each textbook up over two years, but are really just study guides with questions to answer. It is difficult to make them into a "full" course unless you are reading along and able to discuss them well with your child. MPOA would be another good option here, as they have excellent courses for these, or HC does as well. We have not done a US or modern history class yet, so we definitely need to get those in.

If what she needs to do is cover Modern European history in one year, and American history in the second, I would recommend having a class to help her go at that pace. It's just so much material to cover, that trying to read and digest that much will be a real challenge. Having a teacher be able to highlight was is essential so that there is actually a valuable learning experience will be better than trying to cover everything. I would look at the options from MPOA and HC, weigh your costs, and choose accordingly. I had not thought about how helpful a class would be for getting through these. I will look into our options.

I hope that is a start that will generate ideas for you as you plan. I am so glad you have found MP, and hopefully we can give you some advice to get started. Don't forget that MP offers individual lesson plans for any of their subjects in high school, so that can be a real help in planning as well. For example, if you got the LP for Classical Studies for the Greek and Roman books, it would help you decide how to plan each - just going at a faster pace! Yes, I did this with my youngest but haven't even gotten a class list for my high schooler yet.

God bless,
                AMDG,
                Sarah
                Thank you so much for taking the time to give me your thoughts!
                Blessings,
                Tammy (new to MP)
                ds, 20 (graduated)
                dd, 16
                ds, 9

Comment

Originally posted by HollyS View Post
                  My oldest has switched to MP for 10th grade. She is currently using 8M with a few changes. We settled on First Form Latin, which means she may not get through Fourth Form, but I like to cover math and Latin year round, so we’ll just keep plugging away and get as far as we can. We are doing the accelerated pace of two Classical Composition books per year, so she should get through book 6. I’ve found it helpful to “plan backwards” for high school. I decided 10M seemed like a great place to end high school, and we are striving to finish there. We won’t quite get there for Latin and Composition, and I may sub out a few things like literature books or Christian studies. I know I want her to get to rhetoric and Divine Comedy, so I’ll have to make some substitutions.
                  This is immensely helpful! Thank you I didn't think about having her do a lower level core. I will look into what that is and go from there.
                  Blessings,
                  Tammy (new to MP)
                  ds, 20 (graduated)
                  dd, 16
                  ds, 9

Comment

Hello again! Okay. I think I have my girl's course plans laid out ... I would love your input. We will be starting her 10th grade year in March and going through the summer, then starting 11th grade whenever we are done with the 10th grade work. Here is what I am thinking though.

10th Grade
                    Catholic Theology: Didache Series Scripture & Tradition (Homeschool Connections)
                    English: Recitation V, Classical Composition 1 & 2 (MP) and spelling
                    Literature: Literature & Poetry 9 (MP)
                    Modern History: Modern World History Parts 1 & 2 (Homeschool Connections)
                    Math: Algebra I (CTC math)
                    Latin: Henle I (MP)
                    Science: Apologia Biology
                    Classical Studies: Iliad, Odyssey, Aenid (MP) **she is wrapping up Greek Studies, Roman History, and Dawn of Civilization with Homeschool Connections

11th Grade
                    Catholic Theology: Didache Series History of the Church (Homeschool Connections)
                    English: Classical Composition 3 & 4, Traditional Logic 1 & 2 (MP) and spelling
                    Literature: Literature & Poetry 10 (MP) with MP's Poetry & Short Stories American Lit (the following summer)
                    Modern History: US History 1 & 2 (Homeschool Connections)
                    Math: Geometry (CTC math)
                    Latin: Henle II (MP)
                    Science: Chemistry??? Not sure from where
                    Classical Studies: Greek Plays (MP)

12th Grade
                    Catholic Theology: Didache Series Our Moral Life in Christ (Homeschool Connections)
                    English: Classical Composition 5 & 6, Material Logic (MP) and spelling
                    Literature: Poetry & Prose Book III, Hamlet, A Tale of Two Cities, Pride & Prejudice (MP)
                    Modern History: Federalist Papers & Gov't, Deomcracy, Citizenship (Homeschool Connections)
                    Math: Algebra II (CTC math)
                    Latin: Henle III (MP)
                    Science: Physics, maybe not sure from where
                    Classical Studies: Divine Comedy (MP)

Does this seem like a doable and reasonable undertaking or is it too much? Thank you so much!
                    Blessings,
                    Tammy (new to MP)
                    ds, 20 (graduated)
                    dd, 16
                    ds, 9

Comment

Hi, Tammy.

This plan looks solid, but I am wondering if you really need to do English grammar and spelling. Those are subjects we have dropped from high school except as needed. When our students are writing, if we see a trend in grammar misuse, we will pull out a grammar book and review it, but we don't actually do a formal grammar course. Latin takes care of advanced grammar. But if you feel your 10th grader needs a grammar review, that is fine, and EGR V should take care of it.

Feel free to skip Fable Stage with a high schooler, do a semester of Narrative and a semester of Chreia Maxim. Then the next year, I would spend the entire year in Refutation Confirmation. That is probably the most difficult stage. In 12th grade, you can do Common Topic, and that will be practice in long paper writing. I'd rather see your student master each stage rather than try to get through so many stages so quickly. If you get through Common Topic, your student will have had a great 3 years of writing practice and be ready for college.

And I can't remember if your daughter has had Latin. If you are starting at the beginning with Henle I, you will need to take 2 years to complete that course, which put you in Henle II in 12th grade, which is good.

Lastly, if you can't get through Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid in one year, that is fine too. It is a lot if she isn't used to reading that kind of difficult prose. You can always combine Divine Comedy as literature and classical/Christian studies in 12th grade. Oh, and does she know the story of the Iliad and Odyssey? If not, you will want to have her read The Trojan War in her spare time and possibly D'Aulaires' Greek Myths if she doesn't know Greek mythology. That will help her immensely when she takes on Homer.

This actually looks like a fun 3 years, but don't hesitate to seek guidance if it seems too much for your student at the beginning. We can help you pare it back. Sometimes, the rigor of our curriculum can be overwhelming, and we want her to have a good experience. Some of our parents stagger start dates for subjects when they start with us, so that students have a chance to acclimate to a few subjects at a time.

Tanya

Comment

Hi again, Tammy!
                        (I was working on this while Tanya was already answering...so pardon the overlaps of ideas!)

I am so glad that you are getting a plan fleshed out. And the additional information you provided is great to give us more to go on to tailor our suggestions to your situation. I have included some thoughts of my own below. I will say, my initial thoughts were based on thinking she was finishing up 10th, not heading into tenth. I am so excited for you to have three years (school blocks, actually) to work with, not just two!

Originally posted by tehwrd View Post
                        Hello again! Okay. I think I have my girl's course plans laid out ... I would love your input. We will be starting her 10th grade year in March and going through the summer, then starting 11th grade whenever we are done with the 10th grade work. Here is what I am thinking though.

10th Grade
                        Catholic Theology: Didache Series Scripture & Tradition (Homeschool Connections)
                        English: Recitation V, Classical Composition 1 & 2 (MP) and spelling
                        Literature: Literature & Poetry 9 (MP)
                        Modern History: Modern World History Parts 1 & 2 (Homeschool Connections)
                        Math: Algebra I (CTC math)
                        Latin: Henle I (MP)
                        Science: Apologia Biology
                        Classical Studies: Iliad, Odyssey, Aenid (MP) **she is wrapping up Greek Studies, Roman History, and Dawn of Civilization with Homeschool Connections

First, just so you know, the English Grammar Recitation program is cumulative...the lessons really do build on each other from book to book, and I think jumping in at Book V might be really confusing for your daughter - unless she already has a strong grasp of English grammar and it will mostly be review. But the fact that you are putting that in there makes me suspect that what you really want her to have is a refresher year of English grammar to fill in any gaps that she might have. If that is the case, then instead of EGR V, perhaps just get the English Grammar Recitation booklet which contains all the rules in a catechism-like format, and just begin working your way through that gradually, going over each section and making sure she understands all the concepts. If you think she needs more work than that, like actual exercises and whatnot to cement the material, then I would suggest asking MP for either the sixth grade or eighth grade Rod and Staff English books. They will give you thorough explanations of the basics of English grammar along with exercises, which you can either do with your daughter orally, or have her write out. Personally, I prefer the 6th grade book. The 8th is just so hefty, and I even struggle to understand the explanations at times! If your daughter continues with Latin, she will learn grammar better that way anyway. But if you want her to cover English one more time too, those are my suggestions.

Since you have done the Greek/Roman history, and are planning to do the 9th grade lit, which is medieval, I would suggest doing the Catholic Middle Ages and Rending of Christendom in place of Modern World 1&2. This will move you forward chronologically and overlap nicely, I think. That would make a good tenth grade year, especially since she will be trying to do both literature and classical studies.

Also, I will tell you from experience, Apologia Bio is just ok, in my opinion. We have used it with our two oldest, and they have learned the basics that they need to. But Novare Science and Math is supposed to be getting their Biology text out soon (fall?) which we are hoping to use with the ones coming up. But yes, for now, Apologia is probably your best bet to use at home while she gets further along in her math sequence.

11th Grade
                        Catholic Theology: Didache Series History of the Church (Homeschool Connections)
                        English: Classical Composition 3 & 4, Traditional Logic 1 & 2 (MP) and spelling
                        Literature: Literature & Poetry 10 (MP) with MP's Poetry & Short Stories American Lit (the following summer)
                        Modern History: US History 1 & 2 (Homeschool Connections)
                        Math: Geometry (CTC math)
                        Latin: Henle II (MP)
                        Science: Chemistry??? Not sure from where
                        Classical Studies: Greek Plays (MP)

Here, I would make a couple changes, too. First, with history, I think you could build on the classes I mentioned above by having her do Early Modern from 1648-1789, followed by Modern from 1789-1991. This completes the timeframe of western civilization nicely, and would lead well into doing American for senior year, along with government.
                        Also, I have not used the Didache History of the Church book, but it is HEFTY. It might be a good overlap with the history courses, or it might be redundant. I am not sure. What might be nice at this point, since she will have had a lot of history, is for her to take some of the other theology courses that are more apologetic-focused. We have really enjoyed anything by Gary Michuta, in particular. The classes on "dispelling historical distortions" have been excellent to take alongside modern European history. This would be a lot more interesting than simply more history, in my opinion.
                        As for the Chemistry, the text MP uses is Novare's Chemistry text - from Novare Science and Math. These are EXCELLENT, and we have had great experiences with them. The MPOA is a great way to accomplish it, with virtual labs that fulfill that need nicely.
                        Just keep in mind that if this gets to be too much, Logic would be one area to cut back, or move to summer, and that you might end up needing to choose between Classical Studies and Literature, depending on how well she is handling the workload. It's not a failure...you just want her to do what she does do well, you know? This is an ambitious amount, so keep an eye on her.
                        Lastly, keep in mind that Latin will be the second half of Henle I...just so you are aware. The guides that MP uses for Henle I divide the book into two years...which is still a rigorous amount of Latin to learn! So 10th and 11th will be aimed at getting through the Henle First Year text. Just clarifying that.

12th Grade
                        Catholic Theology: Didache Series Our Moral Life in Christ (Homeschool Connections)
                        English: Classical Composition 5 & 6, Material Logic (MP) and spelling
                        Literature: Poetry & Prose Book III, Hamlet, A Tale of Two Cities, Pride & Prejudice (MP)
                        Modern History: Federalist Papers & Gov't, Deomcracy, Citizenship (Homeschool Connections)
                        Math: Algebra II (CTC math)
                        Latin: Henle III (MP)
                        Science: Physics, maybe not sure from where
                        Classical Studies: Divine Comedy (MP)

Couple of notes here...I think the Moral Life in Christ is a great choice, but if you find that you enjoy the individual classes that give more specific topics of concentration, just keep going with that route, too.
                        Again, you have both Classical Studies listed here, and Literature. When the students at MP's school do the Divine Comedy, that is their literature for the whole year. It is a meaty study. She might be able to handle both, but she might not, and you might find yourself needing to choose between them, which is fine.
                        For Latin, if she has completed Henle First Year, she would be ready to do the Henle Second Year study that MP has.
                        For Science, again Novare here - their Introductory Physics book is excellent and would complete what she needs. Again, MPOA is a great way to accomplish it. We missed being able to enroll our oldest for this class, so we ended up using the Conceptual Physics class from HC, and it ended up being well-done as well. So that is another option, since you have that available too.
                        Lastly, for history - this is where I would use the three classes from HC to complete a good, solid year of American History - the Early American to 1763, then from 1763-1865, and finishing with 1865-2000. Each of those is 12 weeks long...which is about right for a 36 week school year. It would get it all in. You would have to do the government class as an overlap - in which case I would vote for that in place of some of the English. That is a couple years down the road to decide for sure, but since government is often a state requirement, you might simply need to do that.

​​​​​​​The last thing I will add is to take advantage of the test prep for the SAT/ACT that HC offers, and get her started with prepping for those tests. The classes are usually short (4 sessions or so) and can be done as "free time" videos that get her started. Add in some practice on Kahn academy on a regular basis. We shoot for about an hour a week starting in the second half of 10th grade.

Does this seem like a doable and reasonable undertaking or is it too much? Thank you so much!

The last thing I would say is to remember that this is a plan - which is subject to change as you get into it. You have covered all the bases nicely, and have provided a meaty, worthwhile amount of content for her. You will not know how much is actually doable until you dig in and get started. The great thing about homeschooling for high school is that you do not have to say she is done and graduated until you are satisfied that she has both met your state requirements, your own personal goals for her education, and what she needs to go on to the college or program she wants to do after high school. We have many, many friends who have traversed this road of high school to college before us...and no two kids' paths look the same. We know many homeschooled high schoolers who are at an age at which they could be done, but have continued on simply because they have not finished the workload they want to have completed before moving on. So having this plan in place is great...now just give her as much time as she needs to complete it!
                        Hope this is helpful!
                        AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        Last edited by KF2000; 01-21-2019, 08:49 AM.
                        2018-2019

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                          Hi again, Tammy!
                          (I was working on this while Tanya was already answering...so pardon the overlaps of ideas!)

I am so glad that you are getting a plan fleshed out. And the additional information you provided is great to give us more to go on to tailor our suggestions to your situation. I have included some thoughts of my own below. I will say, my initial thoughts were based on thinking she was finishing up 10th, not heading into tenth. I am so excited for you to have three years (school blocks, actually) to work with, not just two!

Hope this is helpful!
                          AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          If we were on a normal school year schedule, she would be half way through 10th grade. We’ve had such a crazy last part of 2018 between our family moving and holidays that not much got done. I realized that the way I phrased things wasn’t clear that we are basically starting 10th grade in March once I get her MP stuff. She’s shoring up some deficiencies with HC that I’m calling part of her 9th grade year. Thank you so much for your comments on our plan. I’m really excited about it and I hope she will be too!
                          Blessings,
                          Tammy (new to MP)
                          ds, 20 (graduated)
                          dd, 16
                          ds, 9

Comment

Oh, geesh, yes, I know how that can be! We moved in here at the beginning of August, and even though we started school relatively on time, it has taken until LAST WEEK for me to feel as though I was getting into a good groove for this year! Nothing like catching up nearly half-way through!

So glad we could offer some help and I hope you will let us know how it is going as well!
                            AMDG,
                            Sarah
                            2018-2019

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                              Hi, Tammy.

This plan looks solid, but I am wondering if you really need to do English grammar and spelling. Those are subjects we have dropped from high school except as needed. When our students are writing, if we see a trend in grammar misuse, we will pull out a grammar book and review it, but we don't actually do a formal grammar course. Latin takes care of advanced grammar. But if you feel your 10th grader needs a grammar review, that is fine, and EGR V should take care of it. I wasn't sure if she would need grammar or not, but thought I'd put it there just in case.

Feel free to skip Fable Stage with a high schooler, do a semester of Narrative and a semester of Chreia Maxim. Then the next year, I would spend the entire year in Refutation Confirmation. That is probably the most difficult stage. In 12th grade, you can do Common Topic, and that will be practice in long paper writing. I'd rather see your student master each stage rather than try to get through so many stages so quickly. If you get through Common Topic, your student will have had a great 3 years of writing practice and be ready for college. Good to know I can skip Fable and about slowing them down.

And I can't remember if your daughter has had Latin. If you are starting at the beginning with Henle I, you will need to take 2 years to complete that course, which put you in Henle II in 12th grade, which is good. She is going through Beginning Latin now with Wheelock's. I wasn't sure how it would transfer if at all to Henle...

Lastly, if you can't get through Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid in one year, that is fine too. It is a lot if she isn't used to reading that kind of difficult prose. You can always combine Divine Comedy as literature and classical/Christian studies in 12th grade. Oh, and does she know the story of the Iliad and Odyssey? If not, you will want to have her read The Trojan War in her spare time and possibly D'Aulaires' Greek Myths if she doesn't know Greek mythology. That will help her immensely when she takes on Homer. She read the Trojan War last year and we have D'Aulaire's, which she has also read and is now listening in as my 4th grader goes through it.

This actually looks like a fun 3 years, but don't hesitate to seek guidance if it seems too much for your student at the beginning. We can help you pare it back. Sometimes, the rigor of our curriculum can be overwhelming, and we want her to have a good experience. Some of our parents stagger start dates for subjects when they start with us, so that students have a chance to acclimate to a few subjects at a time. I hadn't thought about staggering start dates. I love that idea and think I will do that so as not to overwhelm her.

Tanya

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some input! I think it looks fun, but she is a VERY different person from me, so who knows? I may be back in short order asking which things are the essentials and which can I punt! I'm really excited about starting!
                              Blessings,
                              Tammy (new to MP)
                              ds, 20 (graduated)
                              dd, 16
                              ds, 9

Comment

Working...
                              X