Tips on Prep for NLE 3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on Prep for NLE 3?

We've come to the end of our ever-helpful NLE Prep Books from MP. Does anyone have tips to share about preparing for the NLE 3 (and up) levels other than just really knowing your stuff? Thanks!
    Introductory Level Table of Contents Introductory Level Sample The National Latin Exam provides an opportunity for students to compare their Latin knowledge
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Hi Jess!
    My oldest two kids took 3 last year. They just did practice exams from the website, and did the practices that are available there. I remember E doing some sort of game or something that was on the website. A just did the exams. They both got gold medals. HTHs!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 7.5
    DD, 5.5
    +DS+
    DS, 18 months

Comment

Perfect. We'll do likewise!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Comment

Good morning Jessica,

I asked Susan Strickland, who teaches NLE prep classes for MPOA, for her advice. In addition to taking all of the practice exams on the NLE website, Susan suggested that you and your student review the NLE syllabus, available on their website, in order to see what needs to be reviewed and what, if anything, needs to be learned. Finally, Susan still uses the 3/4 exams as preparation, though she omits some questions. Prior to the creation of the Level 3 exam, students went straight from 2 to 3/4.

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you for these ideas, Michael (and Susan)!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Comment

Jessica,
            B took NLE 3/4 Poetry last year and she is slated to take NLE 3 Prose this year (it seems they've now separated these into separate categories instead of lumping 3 and 4 together). As others have said, taking past years' tests for practice will give your guy a really good feel for this one. Also, Mrs. Strickland uses "To Be a Roman" in her NLE 3 online prep class - that is a super helpful book for covering Roman culture and everyday life - the nitpicky details kids don't get in the Forms or from FMR. :-) I snagged one fairly cheaply secondhand on Amazon. I have tried to paste the link here but I keep getting an error message. :_(
            Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek
            DS12 - 7th core
            DD8 - Still finishing 1st core at her own happy pace :-)

Comment

http://www.bolchazy.com/To-Be-A-Roma...ure-P3398.aspx

I can't paste the Amazon link but here is the book. I'm sure that the good folks at MP are going to find a fine mess when they come back into the office in Monday and see that I've been left on the forum unattended. *cracks up laughing*
              Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek
              DS12 - 7th core
              DD8 - Still finishing 1st core at her own happy pace :-)

Comment

Working...
              X