Latin Sequence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin Sequence

For those of us who are using the accelerated lesson plans and do not plan on doing MPOA, what will the suggested Latin sequence be for high school? My dd will finish 4FL this year in 7th grade and do Henle II next year in 8th. Would we then go on to Henle III and IV, or do something different? That only gets us to 10th grade. Will MP be publishing lesson plans for anything beyond that?

Thanks! We have loved the Form series and I'm a little sad that she'll be finished with it soon!
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

Originally posted by Angela View Post
    For those of us who are using the accelerated lesson plans and do not plan on doing MPOA, what will the suggested Latin sequence be for high school? My dd will finish 4FL this year in 7th grade and do Henle II next year in 8th. Would we then go on to Henle III and IV, or do something different? That only gets us to 10th grade. Will MP be publishing lesson plans for anything beyond that?

Thanks! We have loved the Form series and I'm a little sad that she'll be finished with it soon!
    Good morning Angela,

After spending a year on the Henle II lessons and refining their translation skills, students can next read Caesar. We recommend using Mueller's Caesar: Selections from his Commentarii de Bello Gallico. We currently have lesson plans for both Henle II and Mueller, and we do hope to eventually expand those plans into full-fledged guides.

The following year, students can study Henle III, completing all of the lessons and reading Cicero's "First Oration Against Catiline." One of the HLS teachers has written a study guide for Henle III that is currently in the early stages of formatting and editing.

For their final two years, HLS students take the AP Latin Exam (11th) and then Latin Prose Composition (12th). Unfortunately, MP does not yet have any guides for these last two levels. A student who is not on an AP track could take Henle IV (Virgil) instead of AP Latin in 11th. For 12th, you would definitely want to continue with translation. Good options for these last two years are definitely something we will be researching/writing so that homeschoolers can have four years of Latin at home.

HTH, and I'm so glad to hear you all loved the Latin Forms Series! The next stage, discovering the nuances of Latin syntax and exploring the world of Latin literature, will be challenging and fascinating. I hope you all love it just as much!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

So it would look like this:

8th grade- Henle II with MP plans
      9th grade- Mueller's Caesar with MP lesson plans
      10th grade- Henle III with MP guide that is currently being written
      11th grade- AP Latin with a possible guide from MP in the future, perhaps taking the AP test at a local classical school?
      12th grade- a translation course that will possibly be written by MP in the next few years?

Is that correct? I'm glad that we still have some time so hopefully there will be more MP guides by the time we get there. We're so happy with MP's formats that my kids are always saying things like, "I wish there was a Memoria Press math curriculum..." for the few subjects that use different publishers!
      2018/2019
      Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
      Ds 10: MP 5M
      Ds 5: MP K

Comment

Yes, something like that is the current tentative plan, but 11th and 12th grade are still subject to change. I'm sorry I don't have any more specifics at this time!

As for writing a math curriculum, please don't tempt us
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
        X