Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wars of the Jews -- Any supplemental resources I should know about?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wars of the Jews -- Any supplemental resources I should know about?

My oldest is doing Acts/Josephus for his ninth grade Christian Studies year. We've wrapped up Acts and are moving into Josephus for the Winter/Spring term. Does anyone have suggestions for supplementary resources I should get him? Our local library is very good. Did Sutcliff or Lively or Guerber or some other lovely person write a "beginner's version" of this gory tale? Do they use any additional books or resources in the HLS classes for this study?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD 7A -- DD 4A -- DS 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Jessica,

We don't spend much time on Josephus at HLS at all. We fly through it in a couple of weeks, so it is only exposure to the students. Feel free to run through the gory parts! I don't know of a retelling that would be gentler. Our intention in reading a little Josephus is just to expose students to an important early church historian. Don't linger!

Tanya
    Last edited by tanya; 01-17-2019, 08:20 AM.

Comment

A little Josephus sounds good to me! Thank you!

Oh, while I have you, what are some other good combos for high school Christian Studies? I know about the Lewis/Chesterton/Kreeft year. Maybe City of God? I'm looking for Christian Studies to be meaningful but not super work intensive courses.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

Comment

Jessica,

Our students used to spend a year in The City of God. It is very difficult and requires a teacher who knows the work. The themes in it are really for older students, so I wouldn't recommend it before 11th grade. Discussions about such topics as the justification of war are better when the students are more mature. They will get so much out of it. So you could do The City of God in 11th grade and the Apologetics year (Lewis, Kreeft, Chesterton) in 12th grade. The History of the Early Church is the other difficult year. At HLS, we have Classical Christian Studies as one class, so we no longer have as much time for Christian studies since it is shared with Classical.

Tanya

Comment

Thank you, Tanya!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

Comment

Jessica, there IS a book of the type you're looking for! https://www.amazon.com/Our-Young-Fol.../dp/0974990000

So funny, the timing of your question: I was just down at the St. Emmelia Orthodox Homeschooling convention and my friend, who owns and operates Paideia Classics, had several copies at her booth. It's written for upper elementary/middle school, so it may be a little more simplistic than E is used to, but it's not at all "babyish" - maybe something he'd read in the car or before bed that's interesting but not chock full of gratuitous gore. Your library is a good one - they'll likely have it. (This is also available as an audiobook - I know your library also has that fancy mP3 lending thing, too!)

I'm glad to know we don't have to dwell on this.
            Mary

DD14 - 8M (Core/MPOA mashup)
            DS12 - 6M
            DD7 - Finishing K, entering 1st

Comment

Mary, Thank you! It's not at my library but I did find a decent used copy online. This can perhaps be my copy that I lend to him if he's interested.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

Comment

Working...
              X