Story of Christianity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Story of Christianity

I'm looking for opinions on The Story of Christianity for 9th grade. Did your students enjoy it? How many days is it scheduled?
    DS, 13, 8th grade
    DS, 10, 5th grade

In my house it was done because I assigned it, but without much joy. I think it would be better suited to ninth grade (we did it in 8th). There is a really beautiful illustrated version of the book which you can pick up used at a very reasonable price which I do recommend. It would have been much better if I'd read along and discussed it or if done in a small group or with a spiritual mentor. It's my fault--I handed it to him and said, "Go."

My son did it once per week.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks, Jessica.
      DS, 13, 8th grade
      DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

We did it in 8th. I disagreed with the presentation of some of the text (I'm coming from a Reformed Presbyterian background), but I've looked around a little for something else to use with kid #2 and haven't found anything I like better. I think I will use it again, but I'll take care to explain our differing perspective on some things.

A few of the study guide questions refer to things not in the text, as I recall.

I agree with Jessica -- it's probably something you'd want to read and discuss WITH your child, just to make sure the presentation is acceptable to your beliefs. There's definitely a slant.
        Melanie
        2018-2019 ~ 5th MP year; 10th year homeschooling
        using most of 9th, 7th, and 4th grade cores

Comment

It was a favorite for both my oldest and my current 9th grader. My dd and I thought it remarkably balanced.

We approached it this way:

1 Student reads
          2 Student narrates and discusses passage with me- we had really wonderful discussions
          3 Student does work in the guide

The discussion was really key with this book to make it come alive

hope that helps!
          Winter 2019 :
          DD - Graduated!
          DS - core 9 with remediation/support
          DD - core 6 with remediation/support
          DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Comment

Originally posted by melaneesa View Post
            We did it in 8th. I disagreed with the presentation of some of the text (I'm coming from a Reformed Presbyterian background), but I've looked around a little for something else to use with kid #2 and haven't found anything I like better. I think I will use it again, but I'll take care to explain our differing perspective on some things.

A few of the study guide questions refer to things not in the text, as I recall.

I agree with Jessica -- it's probably something you'd want to read and discuss WITH your child, just to make sure the presentation is acceptable to your beliefs. There's definitely a slant.
            Hi Melanie,

We are also coming from a reformed perspective. What is the religious slant?
            DS, 13, 8th grade
            DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieAnnie View Post
              It was a favorite for both my oldest and my current 9th grader. My dd and I thought it remarkably balanced.

We approached it this way:

1 Student reads
              2 Student narrates and discusses passage with me- we had really wonderful discussions
              3 Student does work in the guide

The discussion was really key with this book to make it come alive

hope that helps!
              Yes, it does help. Thank you!
              DS, 13, 8th grade
              DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Hello.

The author is Eastern Orthodox.

Tanya

Comment

There was a Catholic mom on FB who was formerly Orthodox and she said she didn’t agree with his theology even then...apparently he tends towards universalism? I haven’t read the book myself so I can’t speak to it directly. Would love to hear your take on it, Tanya!
                  Jennifer
                  Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
                  MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
                  MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
                  As above, plus:
                  MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
                  MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

My daughter loved this book and read it on her own without it being assigned by me.

Comment

Jennifer,

I'd love to help you, but I haven't read it either! I do remember when Cheryl Lowe read it that she said there was some theology she didn't agree with, but she could live with it because it did such a good job as a survey of Christianity. I feel like it would be difficult to find a text that explores the history of Christianity that we would all agree with doctrinally. It's like American history texts. It is difficult to write without an agenda even when you try to. We are all influenced by our personal experiences and beliefs, and it is difficult to leave these totally out of our writing. I think that our involvement in our children's education has to be greater in some areas with older students, and we need to do our homework so that we know the things they are going to be exposed to that will conflict with our beliefs. I don't really know that we want to prevent them from exposure to things that are different, but we certainly want to be in a position to defend and protect what we see as truth. We work really hard in primary and grammar school to just teach the stories in the Bible and not interpret them, but by high school, we are diving more deeply and exposing students to different viewpoints. That is a large responsibility - for you at home and for us in our classrooms at HLS.

I know that it is difficult to read everything your student is reading, especially in high school, but Christian studies is probably the best use of your time if you need to pick and choose. And I'm talking to myself here too. I need to read this book! You've caught me out!

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                      X