Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Sort of) OT: Have you used any of the high school courses for your self education?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mary View Post

I did Logic I and II myself a few years ago. I bought the entire sets because I had never taken a logic course and I wanted to know more about it. (My husband was a member of the Philodemic Society and is Mister Logic around here - I secretly just wanted to win a friendly argument at the dinner table, just once!) I really, truly enjoyed it and had no trouble keeping up or understanding the material. The best part? I can hold my own with my husband as we debate certain issues. *Yesss!*

On a slightly related topic, I had registered to take the adult classics course offered by MP this past fall. We were supposed to read the Iliad, Oddyssey, Aeneid, Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. Sadly, there was not enough interest and the course was canceled. I still have all of my books and workbooks but I'm afraid to attempt this solo. Does MP have any plans to try this again? And would anyone here be interested?
    I am glad to hear how Logic went for you, I am excited to try it for myself, but I am getting rather a lot of things on the go at the moment, and so I am not doing them properly, and am afraid to bring too much else into the mix. Greeks myths, The story of the Greeks, Greek alphabet, my own Greek geography, Online grammar (KISS) learning time tables, First Form Latin (just 1 lesson in and realising I need to allocate more time to this) Plutarch Greek lives (Not for kids! Goodness, what those ancient Greeks got up to!) I did buy Logic 1 though and it is on the shelf looking at me ?. Logic is one of the few bits of MP I can actually buy here in NZ.

Adult classes, that sounds wonderful! I would have 2 snags, the first, the usual, cost. I don’t mind paying for quality and MP certainly has that, but cost is a consideration. And, probably more pertinent, time. Not my time, the worlds time. There is a fairly high chance any online course would turn out to be at 3am for me or something. But it still sounds wonderful!

in learning
    runner

Comment

Oh, dear - those time zones can really put a damper on classes. My dd is currently taking an online class with a student from Australia. That poor girl gets up at 4am to attend!

You are so right. When also trying to homeschool and stay on top of the activities of daily living, it is really difficult to find time to take a class and do it well. When you do have time, the Logic series is a really good one. I found it to be much more approachable than, say, the Elements of Argument; however, much more mature than the Art of Argument series or books like The Fallacy Detective.
      I wouldn't bother with the latter two; however, Elements of Argument is a worthy read, especially once you've completed the MP Logic series. It's just taking me for-e-ver to muddle through it. Then again, I'm also still muddling through How to Read a Book. I guess I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
      Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek
      DS12 - 7th core
      DD7 - Still finishing 1st core at her own happy pace :-)

Comment

Oh, dear - those time zones can really put a damper on classes. My dd is currently taking an online class with a student from Australia. That poor girl gets up at 4am to attend!

Then again, I'm also still muddling through How to Read a Book. I guess I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
        gosh! I admire her commitment!

How to read a Book!
        Well I’m glad it’s not just me! I CANNOT get though that book. I don’t know what it is but it just doesn’t work for me. When I started on this journey to educate myself, I started with The Well Educated Mind....and How to Read A Book. What a disaster! Well Educated Mind started with Don Quixote, apparently a fun comic book. I didn’t get far, it’s a dreadful tale of people horribly abusing a poor chap with mental health issues!

And How to Read A Book was my next attempt, and that was a disaster too, I just cannot get through it (I know, it’s down to will, but when you find yourself scrubbing the outside dunny instead of reading it, you know it’s not working for you !?)

However, I am loving Plutarch, so that is good for my confidence. For each Life, I read the Famous Men of Greece version, and also the appropriate section in Dorothy Mills Greece book, and then read Plutarch. And I am getting there with memorisation. I have never really memorised anything formally, but I now know Invictus, Psalm 121, and I am working on Abu Ben Adlem. So maybe we are just out of practice......and maybe some books just take a lot of reading!

But the journey is fun. And I have half an hour to spare so I shall get off the Internet and go and review the words from the first lesson of First Form Latin!

Runner.

Comment

Does MP have any plans to try this again? And would anyone here be interested?
          Good morning Mary,

I checked with Scott and he would like to try offering this class again at some point. It was only the lack of enrollments that forced MPOA to cancel last time.

HTH!
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good morning Mary,

I checked with Scott and he would like to try offering this class again at some point. It was only the lack of enrollments that forced MPOA to cancel last time.

HTH!
            Please count me in. I’d actually like to start “The Great Books” as prep unless you recommend another book.
            Jen

DS - 2.5 - Preschool

Comment

Working...
            X