Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Sort of) OT: Have you used any of the high school courses for your self education?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Sort of) OT: Have you used any of the high school courses for your self education?

I would love to hear anyone's responses, thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc.

Re: (Sort of) OT: Have you used any of the high school courses for your self educatio

I've gone through some of Henle--The MP guide was so helpful with it! However, now that my kids are going through the forms, I switched to First Form so I can learn alongside them. I have my own workbook and run through the flashcards both on my own and with them.

I've been reading alongside my kids as much as possible. Our discussions go much smoother if I've pre-read the lesson material. I almost always pre-read classical, Christian, and literature. If I have time, I try to read their science and geography, but that doesn't always happen. The Dorthy Mills books are wonderful and I really look forward to my Book of the Ancient Greeks readings!

I'm not sure what ages you have, but my kids are old enough that I'm mostly just trying to keep up with them. I spend about an hour in the afternoons for "teacher prep" and some of that time is spent on Latin or pre-reading their lessons.
    Holly,
    mom to:
    DD 16 & DS 13--8M
    DD 11 & DD 8--3A
    DS 4--jr. K

Comment

Re: (Sort of) OT: Have you used any of the high school courses for your self educatio

Great question!

My short answer is "not really." I have been trying to work my way through Henle I...but I keep seeing the available mental energy and time to really study disappear because of this busy life! I keep it on "my" shelf though, as I am committed to actually studying Latin for good some day.

Aside from that, I do learn so much simply from going through the guides with my children for their classes. I don't pre-read the texts themselves, but am fortunate to have read a lot of them at some point in my own education. So the familiarity is there, and then I use the teacher's guides to keep me going. It has been amazing how much I have learned just from that, and from interacting with my children during their studies. I don't think you can avoid it when you are homeschooling!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2018-2019
      DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
      DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 11 months (and walking!)

Comment

I used the Divine Comedy Teacher guide when I read Dante a few years ago for a book club. I had read it before in college, but it was in a survey course that plowed through the entire book in a few weeks. This time around, I spent a month on each of the three books, reading along with the Teacher guide. I got so much out of it! It was one of several things that sold me on the complete MP curriculum.
        Catherine

2018-19
        DS15, 9th
        DS13, 6th
        DS11, 5th
        DD11, 5th
        DS6, K
        DD3
        DS 10 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP
        2 using First Form series in school

Comment

All my children are now in their 20’s. I browse this forum for ideas, often suggestions for people moving older kids to MP.

So. This year I am in Ancient Greece. I read The Trojan War, and really enjoyed it. I am now reading Dorothy Mills’ The Book of the Ancient Greeks. In this book I have just got to Sparta so I am also reading Plutarch (Robin Waterfield translation) The life of Lycurgus. This is huge fun.....I’ve just got the the common messes, and how people were on the lookout for folks having a sneaky feed at home before attending the mess!
          in addition I have The Famous Men of Greece set. This is only Ok, and if an adult is doing it, don’t bother with the teacher guide etc, you already know to look up any words you don’t know. I also have the MP Greek alphabet book. I am just starting learning the alphabet.....I have it copied and pinned up in the loo!
          i have also just brought D’Aulaires book of Greek Myths. This is very helpful, and again I have the MP study guide for this. I make flash cards for each myth before reading it and keep them in my pocket to review at the bus stop etc. This is helping me get the background and relationships of all those gods and goddesses.
          i have the MP Illiad set, and when I have done the Dorothy Mills book, and the myths I am going to tackle this. If all goes well I will then buy MP odyssey.

in addition to Greek history stuff, I have the Tiner world of Mathematics set. This is also fun, sort of reading about maths rather than just doing sums. But again, I don’t think the study guide is necessary for adults. I might work my way through all the tiner stuff, except maybe astronomy.....and that’s only because I live in the Southern Hemisphere and I bet it’s Northern hemisphere based. But I won’t buy the study guides again.

I’d like to do more, but adults don’t get the luxury kids do of time to study. But the long term plan is to move onto Romans next. I know a bit more about them and was lucky enough to work on a Roman dig in the UK when I was a student. I also have got First Form Latin.

I did not do well at school, and it is fun to be able to study all this stuff now. I can’t wait until I can retire (I’m 57) and I can give myself time to really learn Latin, and maybe Greek ( not just the alphabet) and maybe even learn maths. I never got as far as algebra the first time around.

its great to hear what other people are doing
          Runner.

Comment

I’m also considering the logic programmes. Has anyone done these as an adult?
            Runner.

Comment

I have also used the MP Teacher Guide for Dante. I found it INVALUABLE. I was reading it with my "classical book club"---and I got so much more out of the reading compared to the people who attempted to wade through the material without any type of guide. I found myself pointing out all of these really cool references that they totally passed over and didn't understand. Most of all, the guide helped me fall in love with the material. I found myself continually saying, "WOW! This book is truly a work of art."

Many who attempted to read it on their own said they didn't like the material, and I think it was because it can be hard to fully understand in this day in age (let alone appreciate!) without a decent translation and a guide to help you along the way. I also found the translation recommended by MP for Dante to be fabulous. The language was beautiful and it was understandable. Additionally, the foundation of the elementary MP education helped me to read the text.
              Cathy aka The Attached Mama
              2018-2019
              DS 12, 6th Grade---MP 5M, IEW, Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Kolbe Physical Science, Speech Team
              DD 10, 5th Grade---MP 4M, IEW, Latina Christiana (two-year pace), Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
              DS 4 (almost 5)--MP Junior kindergarten, Myself and Others, "I See Sam" Readers, Singapore/Rightstart Math
              (Now we will watch as I start subtracting subjects off my signature. ha!)

Comment

Cathy,
                I love this recommendation! I listened to the Divine Comedy this winter and am hungry for more. My oldest will do it in two years (11th) but maybe I'll beat him to the Teacher Guide.
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
                Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
                DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
                www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

I was considering it, but could not decide “where to start”. I just say I am working at 2nd grade right now! I hope to follow along with my oldest. We shall see how that goes!
                  Christine

(2018-2019)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
                  DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
                  DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Originally posted by Runner View Post
                    I’m also considering the logic programmes. Has anyone done these as an adult?
                    Runner.
                    It looks like you might be the first here on the forum to attempt this!

I can't speak to using the programs as an adult, but I did take Traditional Logic I and II as a student at HLS. The programs are written directly to the student, and lesson plans are built into the workbook. For example, in each chapter you will be told to read X sections and then complete Y problems, followed by reading further sections and answering further questions the next day. Obviously I'm biased as I work for MP, but I do believe Martin's Traditional Logic program is very approachable and manageable, presenting challenging material as clearly and concisely as possible.

HTH!
                    Michael
                    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                      I was considering it, but could not decide “where to start”. I just say I am working at 2nd grade right now! I hope to follow along with my oldest. We shall see how that goes!
                      I asked, sometime last year and an MP rep, (I can’’t remember which one) suggested I start with Ancient Greece, then move onto Rome, followed by the Middle Ages, fitting in other things as and when they took my fancy. It took me longer to get started than I expected but now I am well underway. I have done “Getting Started in Latin” which is not MP but was a wonderful introduction, and I am plucking up the courage to do first form. Working along with your kids can work, but as they get older they do more independent work, and ones time tends to be spent on the littles. I think you’d do better working along with your youngest! Maybe just get one thing to do for fun, for yourself, and the kids will use the book later so it’s not a waste.

Michael, thank you for your response. It’s very interesting to hear from people who have actually worked through the programme. I think I might give it a try next. I’m not too sure about maths, so maybe I could give logic a try.

This is is an interesting topic. Do you think homeschoolers are more interested in self education than the general population? I don’t know of a single person who studies stuff for fun (ie non vocational) except homeschooling (and ex homeschooling) parents.

Runner

Comment

Sometimes I think it takes trying to teach a subject for one to realize
                        1. How much they never learned
                        2. How much they have forgotten

homeschooling a child can bring these into focus quite quickly

i also think homeschoolers are more aware of the resources available for self education
                        Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
                        DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
                        DS 10 - 5M
                        DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

Originally posted by Runner View Post

This is is an interesting topic. Do you think homeschoolers are more interested in self education than the general population? I don’t know of a single person who studies stuff for fun (ie non vocational) except homeschooling (and ex homeschooling) parents.

Runner
                          I think homeschoolers are more tuned-in to what regular study does for you (answering the thirst for knowledge we all have), which can be why they tend to appear to be more interested. I think they also have a tendency to have the time that it takes to find areas of particular interest and delve as deeply as they want - which is even more of an ignition switch to light a fire of knowledge-seeking. But people who find what they love to do, or who have a strong area of interest as their primary hobby, have a tendency to continue learning about it all throughout their lives, too. I think it comes down to needing to have a motivation to do it (i.e. the ingrained desire for knowledge), and homeschoolers tend to find that motivation easily, whereas others have missed it for most of their lives.

Conversely, most folks who go through the educational system and simply get "some job" never experience that joy of real knowledge at all, and therefore could care less about continuing their education or doing any kind of self-study.

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2018-2019
                          DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
                          DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 11 months (and walking!)

Comment

I bought the Aeneid study guide over a year ago and have only just started it. I am amazed at how much benefit I am getting from the study guide. Even though I'm taking it slow. My husband and I alternate Sunday afternoons off, and on his Sunday afternoon off I'm at home with the kids and have an opportunity to get a little bit more done.

I read 'Inferno' from the Divine Comedy for book club last year and I SO could have done with the MP study guide. I was amazed though, at how many more references I got having done the Greek Myths that I have done with my daughter (we're about halfway through). In fact, not just in 'Inferno', there seem to be references to Greek Myths in so many books that I just wouldn't have noticed before!
                            Sarah

Aussies from Sydney, Australia
                            Miriam 9yo Latina Christiana, Greek Myths, Poppers Penguins, Christian Studies 1, R+S 4 (also IEW Phonetic Zoo, IEW Poetry Memorisation, HWT Cursive)
                            Jonny 6.5yo (Special Needs) SC Level 1
                            Elissa 3.5yo SC Level B (for preschool)
                            Thomas 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It looks like you might be the first here on the forum to attempt this!

I can't speak to using the programs as an adult, but I did take Traditional Logic I and II as a student at HLS. The programs are written directly to the student, and lesson plans are built into the workbook. For example, in each chapter you will be told to read X sections and then complete Y problems, followed by reading further sections and answering further questions the next day. Obviously I'm biased as I work for MP, but I do believe Martin's Traditional Logic program is very approachable and manageable, presenting challenging material as clearly and concisely as possible.

HTH!

I did Logic I and II myself a few years ago. I bought the entire sets because I had never taken a logic course and I wanted to know more about it. (My husband was a member of the Philodemic Society and is Mister Logic around here - I secretly just wanted to win a friendly argument at the dinner table, just once!) I really, truly enjoyed it and had no trouble keeping up or understanding the material. The best part? I can hold my own with my husband as we debate certain issues. *Yesss!*

On a slightly related topic, I had registered to take the adult classics course offered by MP this past fall. We were supposed to read the Iliad, Oddyssey, Aeneid, Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. Sadly, there was not enough interest and the course was canceled. I still have all of my books and workbooks but I'm afraid to attempt this solo. Does MP have any plans to try this again? And would anyone here be interested?
                              Mary

DD14 - 8M (Core/MPOA mashup)
                              DS12 - 6th - full core
                              DD7 - 1st - full core

Comment

Working...
                              X