Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Learningclassically
    • Jul 2018

Algebra 2 Prentice Hall Foerster VS Smith

Hello - I'm trying to prepare for a Algebra 2 start in the next month - yes, we are on a strange schedule here. Can someone help me understand the textbook options for Algebra 2? I was interested in the MP Algebra 2 streaming videos. It appears that MP uses Prentice Hall Algebra 2 book with lead author Smith. How is this different from the Foerster Algebra 2 (Algebra & Trigonometry) text? Are they interchangeable? Could we use the Foerster book we already have and keep pace with the video streamed class? We have never done the video classes and have always been fine on our own with texts...however, I'm starting to worry a little about Algebra 2 and want a supplemental teacher. Foerster has always been recommended to me by seasoned homeschool moms and was my plan for Algebra 2. My dd student has done well in math, mastered concepts easily, mature nature, etc...

I'm also considering the Derek Owens video courses so we could start on an off schedule. Any suggestions or thoughts?
    Help!
    Thanks!
  • Learningclassically
    • Jul 2018

Re: Algebra 2 Prentice Hall Foerster VS Smith

Hello again - Also, another friend recommends Lial, Intermediate Algebra for an Algebra 2 text. Any other comments to compare with the Prentice Hall texts?

Thanks so much!

Comment

• Mom2mthj
      • Apr 2014

The Foerster and Smith texts are different textbooks by different authors who currently share the same publisher. They are not any more interchangeable than any two algebra 2 textbooks. If you have foerster and want to continue using it, I strongly recommend the Math Without Borders video lectures that were made for that textbook. They go section by section and I believe the algebra 2 videos now also include worked out solutions to half the problems. I bought the solutions manual anyways. I think trying to use the MP videos with a different text would be an exercise in frustration. If you just want a few helps in case of need then I would think khan academy would be easier to locate the topic in question. If you want to switch to the Smith text then I would get the MP videos.

I have never used Derrick Owens, but have thought about it. One thing I like about MWOB videos is you get them on a thumb drive so it is your to keep. You are asked not to resell, but are allowed to reuse within your family. I have heard good things about Lial’s, but have never seen it in person. I don’t know of video lessons for that text. If you used Foerster for algebra 1 and it was liked, I would stick with the same author. Every author teaches topics in a slightly different order.
      Last edited by Mom2mthj; 10-26-2018, 09:47 PM.
      Dorinda

Plans for 2023-2024
      17th year homeschooling, 14th year with Memoria Press
      DD College Junior
      DS Senior - Lukeion Greek, AP Calculus and Physics with me, MA Medieval History and Tolkien/Lewis
      DS Sophomore - Vita Beata Aeneid, MA Short Story
      DS 5th grade - 5A with Right Start G, AAS 6

Comment

• Cindy in Indy
        MP Representative
        • Dec 2007

Dear "Learning",
        Dorinda is absolutely correct, if you wish to use the MP algebra2 videos, you will want to use the Algebra2 text by Smith, et.al.

Foerster Algebra2 is a great book, and the problems are more challenging than the Smith text. Because the problems are often drawn from real world situations, it is a great preparatory book for future scientists and engineers. Since Foerster thoroughly covers trigonometry, some people spread the course over 1 1/2 years for a year of algebra2 plus a semester of trig.

The Smith text has clear examples and practice problems and offers clear, straight-forward instruction that should not frustrate a prepared student. Smith offers 2 chapters of trigonometry at the end of the book, but the MP course does not use those chapters, since trig is fully covered in Larson Precalculus.

Lial intermediate algebra offers clear explanations and practice problems. It is written for use in a community college setting, so the pacing is brisker than Foerster or Smith. Some high school students will need more time and practice to master the concepts. Lial does not cover every topic that Foerster and Smith cover, such as matrices, probability, and statistics. Although I like the Lial book very much, we moved to the Smith book so that our students receive instruction in those additional topics.
        Cindy Davis
        Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
        ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
        ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
        dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

• Learningclassically
          • Jul 2018

Thank you all so much for the detailed and complete reviews! Very helpful!

I think we will be doing Smith/MP video class.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...