Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tale of Two Cities is ready!! And, a question on plans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
    I tried the Space Trilogy and only got half way through the first book. I need to try again because I hear it is amazing and much better than Narnia as far as deep ideas.
    The triology is SO good, Debbie. I found Out of the Silent Planet, well...solitary? I was expecting a "fellowship" feel with many characters and there just weren't many. Perelandra is fascinating. Again, there are fewer characters but the conversations are brilliant. That Hideous Strength is so relevant it's scary. Set on Earth, Lewis weaves in many things that are truly prophetic about our day. There's the bonus of some Arthurian legend mixed in as well. Those interested in medieval cosmology (a la The Discarded Image) will really enjoy this trilogy. As I often mention, I am a huge fan of listening to Ralph Cosham read these.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

I also have never read "The Hobbit" or "The Lord of the Rings"...My oldest read "The Hobbit" when he did it in MP...He was 13, and the very first time he ever went to the movie theatre was to see "The Hobbit" after studying it...It was different than the book, but he enjoyed it...

TLOTR I had never even heard of until my husband wanted to see it when the first movie came out...I did not realize there where 3 parts to this movie...I watched the first part, then looked at my husband and said this was a waste of time...They spent forever talking about this ring, and nothing was done to resolve anything...It is nice that those people are going to journey together, but whatever happened with that?...They should have told us something...My husband chuckled, then told me that this was only part 1 of 3...Info I should have had beforehand ????

Tahara
      Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
      DS -19 (9/4/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
      DS -15 (9/9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
      DS -13 (7/3/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Tahara,
        I did not read LOTR or The Hobbit until I was an adult, nor could I have told you who JRRT was before college. I scrambled to read LOTR before the movies came out in my early 20s. My husband and I shared a huge paperback copy that, to my memory, had 3,000 pages. It was probably more like 1,200.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
        D · 8th
        D · 5th
        S · 2nd

Comment

I also never read Tolkien till I was married with kids. When the movies were coming out, I bought a cheap boxed set to read because everyone was raving about it. I thought I remembered reading it in high school and thinking it was disturbing. When I actually read it, I LOVED it! Turns out what I remembered from high school was Lord of the Flies.
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
          DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
          DS, 21, chemistry major
          DS, 18, Physics major
          DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
          DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
          DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Tahara,

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for adding light to my day!

Tanya

Comment

Turns out what I remembered from high school was Lord of the Flies.
              Laughing so hard at this!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Comment

Turns out what I remembered from high school was Lord of the Flies.
                I remember that too, probably more than anything else I read in high school...
                Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                DS -19 (9/4/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
                DS -15 (9/9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                DS -13 (7/3/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Richard Armitage reading Dickens.

Check it out.

And duck the tomatoes coming at y'all from the K household re: Dickens and Tolkien.

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                  DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 7.5
                  DD, 5.5
                  +DS+
                  DS, 18 months

Comment

I'm listening to David Copperfield for the first time (more Ralph Cosham, of course!) and had the tender revelation that I've never been poor or wretched a day in my life. I'm tempted to think myself both from time to time. Dickens can be tough to listen to because of all the poverty and wretchedness, but it can also be a very healthy corrective. That's how it feels for me today. I'm sticking with the story even when it smarts.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                    D · 8th
                    D · 5th
                    S · 2nd

Comment

Jessica,
                      DC is my favorite Dickens. And it makes me cry terribly.
                      My daughter visited a living history 1800's museum this week and paused to view a silhouette where the curators listed what people in her age group would typically do in a day/week. (Female in her 20's). She was very sobered, and said, "my generation has no idea what hardship is". How true!
                      Cindy Davis
                      Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
                      ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
                      ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
                      dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
                        Jessica,
                        DC is my favorite Dickens. And it makes me cry terribly.
                        My daughter visited a living history 1800's museum this week and paused to view a silhouette where the curators listed what people in her age group would typically do in a day/week. (Female in her 20's). She was very sobered, and said, "my generation has no idea what hardship is". How true!
                        Oh, that makes me happy to persevere with DC! Did your daughter happen to photograph that list? I would love to see it.
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                        D · 8th
                        D · 5th
                        S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                          Bethany and Michael are breaking my heart into little pieces. But that's okay. I don't like Tolkien. (Did I say that out loud?) I do agree with you, Mary, that the reader on an audiobook can make or break it. I once mistakenly got a Jeeves book with an American reader. Ridiculous.

Tanya
                          Ugh - I hate being tied up and away from the forum for weeks at a time. I, think we must have had the same Jeeves audiobook! I remember being so excited to listen to Wodehouse on one of my trips to KY only to hear an American man butchering the accent and some of the words (my apologies to B.J. Harrison - I'm sure he is a lovely person). Certain things are set in stone. Only Patricia Routledge can play Hyacinth Bucket. Tim Robbins is the only man who can read The Great Gatsby. And only Jonathan Cecil or Alexander Spencer should be allowed to record Wodehouse audiobooks.

It's okay to not like Tolkein. I don't love TLoTR series but I did very much enjoy the Hobbit. I also didn't love Lewis' Space Trilogy, but I thought The Screwtape Letters was masterful. I find different opinions to be fascinating and I learn a lot from listening to people who don't agree with me (thought I am still trying to master the art of holding my tongue).
                          Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post

Ugh - I hate being tied up and away from the forum for weeks at a time. I, think we must have had the same Jeeves audiobook! I remember being so excited to listen to Wodehouse on one of my trips to KY only to hear an American man butchering the accent and some of the words (my apologies to B.J. Harrison - I'm sure he is a lovely person). Certain things are set in stone. Only Patricia Routledge can play Hyacinth Bucket. Tim Robbins is the only man who can read The Great Gatsby. And only Jonathan Cecil or Alexander Spencer should be allowed to record Wodehouse audiobooks.

It's okay to not like Tolkein. I don't love TLoTR series but I did very much enjoy the Hobbit. I also didn't love Lewis' Space Trilogy, but I thought The Screwtape Letters was masterful. I find different opinions to be fascinating and I learn a lot from listening to people who don't agree with me (thought I am still trying to master the art of holding my tongue).
                            HOLD the phone.

I didn't know Tim Robbins read GG. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more, if I had listened to him.

I felt like I was lost in a never ending episode of Mad Men --- beautiful imagery, but deplorable characters.
                            Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                            DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                            DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                            DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Working...
                            X