Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tale of Two Cities is ready!! And, a question on plans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my goodness, Katie! I am so sorry to devastate you. I did say that every sentence is beautifully written, though, so that should be some consolation! I just don't like what he chose to write about.

I really need to get those lesson plans written for the upper school guides. This is totally on me!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post

Wondering how this homemade course turned out for HLN? And curious as to how you paced the Poetry III book..
      It was a great year! The teacher interspersed it between the three other texts. I'll send you an email.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        I don't like Tolkien. (Did I say that out loud?)

Wait, what?
        2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
        S - 5, K @ home and HLN
        D - 3, rising through minor leagues quickly
        S - 2, the master of disasters

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn View Post

Wait, what?
          And.... Someone's about to turn into a huge bear....
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Comment

Oh no! I've lost all your respect, Beorn! It's not that I don't think he's a good writer. I just don't like his genre. And you have to admit that the Gollum character is creepy and there is not much heroic about those dwarfs. And I don't really like Bilbo as a heroic character. I am a fan of Gandolf though, but is that because of Ian McKellen?

Someone recently told me that your forum name comes from Tolkien, so I am so sorry for tainting your opinion of me! I hope we can still be friends!

Tanya

Comment

It is ok. I didn’t even know Tolkien or Lewis existed until college (public school fail...?). I tried reading the Hobbit at one point and continually horrify my kids with the knowledge that poor Bilbo has been stuck in a tree surrounded by wolves for 20+ years. He might get out some day...

of course I married a huge Tolkien (and Dickens) fan. As luck has it, our daughter is named Agnes and our youngest shares a birthday with Bilbo and Frodo...the siblings prayed extra hard for that one and just made it by 4 minutes.

But I highly recommend Tolkien read by Rob Inglis. I can’t see anyone being brave enough to attempt redoing those audiobooks.
              Regards,
              Hollie

2019-20:
              1-day/week co-op using MP materials
              DD & DS - 10th: MPOA: 4FL, HS Comp II; MP streaming Biology; VideoText Algebra; 10th Lit, Light to the Nations II
              DS - 7th, VideoText Algebra, MPOA: 2FL, Chreia/Maxim-Ref/Con
              DD - 7th, CHREIA/Maxim, MPOA: 2FL
              DD - 6A, 6th Lit.
              DD - 3A
              DS - 4yrs - pre-school/JrK when he will sit still
              Using MP complete since 2016-17; bits and pieces for many years previous

Comment

Yes! Rob Inglis forever!
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                D · 8th
                D · 5th
                S · 2nd

Comment

Oh no! I've lost all your respect, Beorn! It's not that I don't think he's a good writer. I just don't like his genre. And you have to admit that the Gollum character is creepy and there is not much heroic about those dwarfs. And I don't really like Bilbo as a heroic character. I am a fan of Gandolf though, but is that because of Ian McKellen?

Someone recently told me that your forum name comes from Tolkien, so I am so sorry for tainting your opinion of me! I hope we can still be friends!

Tanya
                  You have not lost any of my respect, tanya. And stop apologizing. You are very helpful and encouraging, and joyful and welcoming, even in the midst of back pain and not so fun treatment. And you post great replies and answer questions from me (and others) that you have probably only been asked a thousand times.

You just happen to be wrong about Tolkien's genre, Gollum, the dwarves, and Bilbo too. But you partially made up for it with the Gandalf and Ian McKellen comments.

All will be forgiven in full when I see an MP Lord of the Rings literature guide. And the Silmarillion too. Have a wonderful weekend!
                  2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
                  S - 5, K @ home and HLN

Comment

But that's okay. I don't like Tolkien. (Did I say that out loud?)

Tanya
                    I have to say, Tanya, that this is the first time you have ever said anything that made me think, “hmmm, maybe she is not perfect.”
                    Tolkien uses the fantasy genre to convey Truth and great wisdom. Which is best done in a not totally familiar setting- much like grammar is best taught in a non familiar language. But... we’ll keep you anyway. You are still close to perfectly perfect. Let’s call you practically perfectly perfect.
                    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                    DS, 21, chemistry major
                    DS, 18, Physics major
                    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Beorn and Momgineer,

I totally agree that Tolkien teaches truth and wisdom. I just prefer to get mine in another genre. But I am not negating his value or the beauty of his prose. Hopefully, this redeems me somewhat.

You are both quite kind to me, and I appreciate your words (aside from beating up my taste in literature, ha!). I think I am going to make you both very happy in the next year, redeeming myself further. (I can't say more because my staff beats me up when I talk about things that aren't available for sale yet ...)

Tanya

Comment

I think I am going to make you both very happy in the next year, redeeming myself further. (I can't say more because my staff beats me up when I talk about things that aren't available for sale yet ...)

Tanya
                        O goodie goodie. Sounds good to me...whatever it may be. Now, if you made it a part of the 1st Grade core curriculum for next year, that would be amazing! #wishing #hoping #AddToBookList
                        2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
                        S - 5, K @ home and HLN

Comment

First grade? Too scary, though my husband did read them to my kids when they were very young. It was more for him than for them. (Am I sensing that in your case, by chance?)

Tanya

Comment

First grade? Too scary, though my husband did read them to my kids when they were very young. It was more for him than for them. (Am I sensing that in your case, by chance?)

Tanya
                            Well, I already bought the K core so too late to add it in there. My oldest (5) asks for The Hobbit on audio or read by us all the time. But, yes, it would be a very self-serving request on my part
                            2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
                            S - 5, K @ home and HLN

Comment

tanya

I...don't like Tolkien either. I've tried. To be fair, even Tolkien said he didn't think the Hobbit was a good book originally. I read them after seeing the movies. I do love the movies - especially the latest incarnation of Bilbo. That character finally makes more sense to me. Gollum is creepy.

But I Love, love love love....C.S. Lewis. If you could do all of the literature guides for Narnia, I seriously, would put you on that Christmas Card list forever. I mean it.

Fun fact: I love the books so much that I contacted the C.S. Lewis foundation about making a quilt to enter into a quilt show based on his novels. They approved it! I literally have permission to use their material. Still get the shivers. Haven't started it yet because I don't have the skill yet, and it will take 5+ years to complete. I'll just squeeze that in with multiple core MP.....
                              Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                              DS (MP2) - 7/8
                              DS (K) - 6
                              DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Yes, Hobbit isn’t that great of a book. It’s good, but not amazing. LOTR in the other hand.... it does have some seemingly slow places, but it all builds up and has deep insights into human nature and what we are created for.
                                Funny that I just can’t get into C.S. Lewis. I’ve read Narnia and it’s ok- about like the Hobbit. Good literature but nothing amazingly deep. Maybe I’m too Tolkienish in my distaste for direct allegory. I tried the Space Trilogy and only got half way through the first book. I need to try again because I hear it is amazing and much better than Narnia as far as deep ideas.
                                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                                DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                                DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                                DS, 21, chemistry major
                                DS, 18, Physics major
                                DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                                DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                                DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Working...
                                X