Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tale of Two Cities is ready!! And, a question on plans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tale of Two Cities is ready!! And, a question on plans...

I just saw this new set on MP's Instagram feed! https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...wo-cities-set/

Will lesson plans be written for this any time soon or are we to follow the general "9 weeks per book" advice on pacing? Plans are always a bonus, especially on this upper school lit guides that have many components.

We are using this set in our "homemade" upper school lit class at HLN for 10/11/12th graders: Pride and Prejudice, Tale of Two Cities, Romeo and Juliet, and Poetry Book III. <3 (Now if I could just figure out a way to hang out in there every week...)
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Re: Tale of Two Cities is ready!! And, a question on plans...

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    I just saw this new set on MP's Instagram feed! https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...wo-cities-set/

Will lesson plans be written for this any time soon or are we to follow the general "9 weeks per book" advice on pacing? Plans are always a bonus, especially on this upper school lit guides that have many components.

We are using this set in our "homemade" upper school lit class at HLN for 10/11/12th graders: Pride and Prejudice, Tale of Two Cities, Romeo and Juliet, and Poetry Book III. <3 (Now if I could just figure out a way to hang out in there every week...)
    Are you referring to the answer you received when you asked this question on Instagram? We're still focusing on first lesson planning all of the subjects, including literature, in our core packages. It's unlikely we'll have individual plans very soon for these most recent literature guides outside of the cores. I'm very sorry!

P.S. I wish I could take that HLN class. Maybe I'd finally learn to like Dickens *hides from any Dickens fans*
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

What the Dickens?! You are not a Dickens fan?

Haha! Is it because his sentences are so long they'd be impossible to translate or diagram? He does use the figures of description nicely though. I forget the passage exactly in Oliver Twist, but he used all three figures we were learning that week in composition in the opening paragraph of a chapter. That was a one sentence paragraph!

Yes, guessing from the IG "nine weeks" answer and seeking clarification. You've told me what I need. Would it be helpful then to look at how other upper school guides are paced for books like this? Just looking for a square one to start from.

Thanks!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Comment

What the Dickens?! You are not a Dickens fan?

Haha! Is it because his sentences are so long they'd be impossible to translate or diagram? He does use the figures of description nicely though. I forget the passage exactly in Oliver Twist, but he used all three figures we were learning that week in composition in the opening paragraph of a chapter. That was a one sentence paragraph!

Yes, guessing from the IG "nine weeks" answer and seeking clarification. You've told me what I need. Would it be helpful then to look at how other upper school guides are paced for books like this? Just looking for a square one to start from.

Thanks!
        My first introduction was Great Expectations, which I thought was just okay. (Bear in mind, I was an immature 10th/11th grader ) I also started David Copperfield on my own, but couldn't get into it. I'm not even sure I finished it! I definitely need to give Dickens another try though!

Back to your original question, I asked Mr. Janke if he had any advice and he said that he generally spends 6 weeks on a Shakespeare play and 8 weeks on a novel the length of A Tale of Two Cities or Wuthering Heights. Mr. Janke has his students three times a week, so a homeschooler or cottage school may need more time. If you add a week or two to his estimates, you get 8-10 weeks, hence our estimate of 9. HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          My first introduction was Great Expectations, which I thought was just okay. (Bear in mind, I was an immature 10th/11th grader ) I also started David Copperfield on my own, but couldn't get into it. I'm not even sure I finished it! I definitely need to give Dickens another try though!
          Try it in audio. I definitely like Dickens better out loud.
          Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

I agree 100%, Bean!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
            D · 8th
            D · 5th
            S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
              Try it in audio. I definitely like Dickens better out loud.
              I never thought of that. Thanks!
              Michael
              Memoria Press

Comment

I agree 100%, Bean!
                I could just text you, but what would be the fun in that?

Do you or bean have a narrator to recommend? It's time for me to start reading ToTC for book club.
                Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

I could just text you, but what would be the fun in that?

Do you or bean have a narrator to recommend? It's time for me to start reading ToTC for book club.
                  I liked the Simon Prebble reading. You can speed up if you're in a crunch (but surely you won't be, right? No way.). Just make sure you get an unabridged. Enjoy!
                  Attached Files
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                  S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                  D · 8th
                  D · 5th
                  S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    P.S. I wish I could take that HLN class. Maybe I'd finally learn to like Dickens *hides from any Dickens fans*
                    I had a similar dislike for Dickens, but had to read Hard Times for a book club. My eyes sort of glossed over somewhere in chapter 1. The audiobook saved the day - and in the end I actually liked it. Then Kyle Janke's Tale of Two Cities intro at teacher training inspired me to go buy a copy.

So who knows, Michael, there may be hope yet for you to enjoy Dickens!
                    Amanda
                    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdmom View Post
                      So who knows, Michael, there may be hope yet for you to enjoy Dickens!
                      Thanks for the encouragement, Amanda!
                      Michael
                      Memoria Press

Comment

If it's any consolation, Michael , Bethany agrees with you. She swears that Cicero and Dickens are part of the same family tree, featuring both run-on and paragraph-length sentences and the inability to express a simple thought in less than a thousand words.

I must be weird. I liked "Hard Times" as a book but really disliked it as an audiobook - the reader was really rather awful. She read way too fast and really didn't vary her speech. Had that been my first introduction to Dickens, it would have been my last! *weary laugh*
                        Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                        DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                        DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Bethany and Michael are breaking my heart into little pieces. But that's okay. I don't like Tolkien. (Did I say that out loud?) I do agree with you, Mary, that the reader on an audiobook can make or break it. I once mistakenly got a Jeeves book with an American reader. Ridiculous.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                            But that's okay. I don't like Tolkien. (Did I say that out loud?)

Tanya
                            You said this out loud at the conference and I my heart was shattered into a million tiny pieces. Gasp, sigh, tear..etc.
                            Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                            DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
                            DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                            DD 9: 4th using 3A
                            Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Wondering how this homemade course turned out for HLN? And curious as to how you paced the Poetry III book..
                              Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
                              DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
                              DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
                              DD 9: 4th using 3A
                              Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Working...
                              X