Thread: Switching from Lively Latin

Default Switching from Lively Latin

My son is in 4th grade, and in his second year of Latin studies. We used Lively Latin BB1 last year, and are using Big Book 2 this year. Our ultimate goal is to get to Henle, but I don't know where to place him in a Latin program for next year. I have not used any of Memoria Press' Latin programs, so I don't know what is comparable.

Could any one help direct me to the next course for him?

Thanks!

You might try sending an email asking Catherine Drown, the author of Lively Latin. I *think* she intended for students to be able to go into Henle directly from LLBB2, but I'm not sure. She could probably give you suggestions on where to go based on what you've covered so far since BB2 isn't done yet.

Hello.

If I understand this correctly, after completing Lively Latin Book 2, your children should know all 5 noun declensions, 6 active verb tenses in 4 conjugations, personal pronouns, and 1st-2nd declension adjectives. If this is right, I'm thinking that our Second Form Latin would be a good fit for moving forward. It would have some new material as well as a good review of material your children already know. This would really solidify what you have done while providing enough new material to continue challenging your children. We are beta testing Second Form right now, but it will be in its finalized version by summer.

I apologize for the delayed response. I needed to figure out what your children had accomplished thus far before I could advise you.

Regards,

Tanya Charlton

Thank you so much, Tanya! I have been really stressing over what to do with him next year. I did email Catherine Drown, but have not gotten a response.

BB2 is massive, and even though we have done Latin 4 days a week since August, we are just finishing up the 4th lesson out of 17! We are currently getting into the dative of indirect object. I don't see us being able to complete BB2 by the summer. Also, BB2 has not been finished by the author (lessons 15-17 haven't been published), and I am worried about what to do when we get to that point.

Do you think we could go into 2nd Form only if we completed BB2? I am thinking that we will end our current school year after we study the 3rd declension nouns, and 3rd conjugation verbs. I am hoping for my son to take one of the online classes from MP next fall, and want to make sure he's in the right place.

Thanks again for your help!
    Ashley

Hello.

I'm thinking First Form would be a better fit for your son if you don't complete BB2. It will have some review, but that is a good thing. And it would build his confidence while still introducing new material as he goes along. I don't know how busy your summers are, but you could consider our summer Latin camp online. It is a fast run-through of First Form. Then, he could jump into Second Form online in the fall. But, there is no rush either! There is plenty of time to take First Form in the fall and Second Form the next year. We prefer mastery of the grammar to moving too quickly and overwhelming the student.

And, our program is very streamlined. Each lesson has 1 grammar form and 10 vocabulary words on a 2-page spread. It's going to look very simple compared to what you've been doing!

Regards,

Tanya