Extra practice for Henle English to Latin exercises?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laura A
    • Feb 2009

Extra practice for Henle English to Latin exercises?

Does anyone know where I can find a good source of extra practice exercises, especially for translating English to Latin? Sometimes 5-10 sentences just aren't enough to get a concept before moving on. Right now we're on Exercise 35, third declension using all the cases.

The problem is less a matter of remembering the endings than just not being very accurate sometimes, for instance using the singular instead of the plural. And sometimes I think it's just getting confused because in the Latin genitive covers English situations in which the word order is reversed, i.e., "Romans' leaders" vs. "leaders of the Romans." But in short, sometimes (but not always) we just need more practice before adding something else.

I tried my copy of Wheelock's, but since the order of presentation is different, its 3rd declension exercises include things we haven't covered in Henle yet.

Thanks!
  • tanya
    MP Representative
    • Feb 2009

Hello!

You might try the online site: quia.com. Just click on 'Latin' and put 'Henle I' in the course text field. I don't know how helpful these will be. Other than that, I would continue to revisit previous exercises you have done that were difficult - maybe put them on flashcards and have your child choose 5 cards/day to translate. I have found that oral review in the form of a game is popular with kids while getting the job done. And it's interesting (and sometimes scary) to see how well they are retaining their previous knowledge.

Tanya

Comment

Working...