Thread: Grading First Form Latin

Default Grading First Form Latin

I will be teaching First Form Latin in a co-op this fall. I would like to use the same grading system as Spring Meadows. Could someone assist me with this? I have an idea from when my son attended the cottage school but wondered if I could get a list/print out with that info...

Thanks!

We use the Lower/Upper School grading scale:

93-100 A
    92-85 B
    84-77 C
    76-69 D
    68 or less F

Is this what you were looking for?

Paul
    Paul S
    Memoria Press
    www.MemoriaPress.com
    Classical Christian Textbooks

Hello.

Grading varies by teacher. I can tell you how I graded when I was teaching, but that may be different from other teachers. I counted each vocabulary word as 2 pts. (one for spelling and one for knowing the word). For the grammar forms, I assigned one point for each word, counting off 1/2 a point for incorrect spelling. For the translation exercises, I counted 1/2 a point for each correct word. When the sentences became more difficult, I sometimes just made the translation bonus. That is the most difficult part for students to grasp, and our real goal in FF is for students to master the vocabulary and grammar forms. So, if I had a student who did very well on those parts of the quiz, I didn't want poor translation to destroy the grade. So, I used my judgment there, depending on how difficult the translations were and how well students had done on the more concrete parts of the quizzes and tests. Obviously, the goal is for all students to make an A, and I did what I could to make that happen for them! If they were trying hard and prepared for the quizzes, I wanted their grades to reflect that. Translation is a skill that has to be learned, but it is a developmental skill also.

I hope this doesn't just confuse you more. Obviously, my grading system was rather subjective!

Cheers,

Tanya

Default Grade

I thought the OP was asking about calculating a grade for the class. How much of the overall grade is determined by tests or quizzes or homework?
    I don't use grades, but I am guessing that in a co-op situation you need to have this information ready to hand out at the beginning of the class with the syllabus.
    Blessings,
    Jude

Sorry, I didn't think about how many ways that question could be taken!

Thanks, Tanya, that sounds similar to what I remembered and is what I was looking for. I also remember that quizzes were a fourth of the overall grade. Would you count tests as half and then maybe figure in participation and homework as the other fourth?

Thanks!

Sounds like a good plan to me. I always gave 10 pts. a day for classroom work, participation, homework completion, etc. It helped poor testers who were stellar students otherwise.

Tanya