Thread: Classically Catholic Memory

Default Classically Catholic Memory

Hello...

I was looking at the above and find it interesting (read::tempting). But I was wondering if anyone is using this at home and if so, would it be overkill with the memory work they will be doing within MP anyway?

I was also looking at Andrew Campbell's Living Memory since it is mentioned in the LCC.

I appreciate any thoughts on either.
    Last edited by carmelitemom; 06-22-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Blessings,
    Theresa George

{Mom to S-24, S-21, D-18 and D-9}

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

Default don't do both

Hi,
    I have Classically Catholic Memory Work Year Alpha. There are good and bad things about it. My children really liked the poetry and the Catechism recitations. And they learned Veni Emmanuel. The timeline has way too much detail--a stack of cards about four inches thick. The illustrations are beautiful. But the voice of the woman on the CD's drove my children crazy. She tends to go off-key and is trying to sing beyond her range. They begged me not to play the CD's anymore. For a lot of people this would not be a deal breaker, but I have an autistic son who is extremely sensitive to any off-key singing. (He does not want me to sing either.) I am going to continue to use the timeline cards and maps. Also, apparently the timeline is done from beginning to end each year, and skip counting is covered each year. So I don't plan to purchase Year Beta.
    I really like Andrew Campbell's Memory Work book better. I have used it much more than the CCM, and it allows me to customize the study work for each child. They each have a binder of memory work that they run through daily, with the older stuff getting moved to the back of the binder for once weekly review. His book really is enough material for kindergarten through high school and beyond.
    Blessings,
    Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.

Great help Jude! The CD would drive me nuts too as well as my daughter who has mild sensory issues.

Living Memory sounds like a good choice and I would only have to buy one book : )
    Last edited by carmelitemom; 06-22-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Wrong book title
    Blessings,
    Theresa George

"O blessed Jesus, give me stillness of soul in You. Let Your mighty calmness reign in me. Rule me, O King of Gentleness, King of Peace." ~ St. John of the Cross OCD

I agree. Living Memory is a goldmine, and much cheaper than CCM. I don't have CCM, but I have checked it out and thought it was rather expensive.

Susan

Default All or Nothing

Theresa,

I have a close friend here who got the CCM this past year and tried to implement it. We talked about it a lot when she first got it (loving it...the newness factor) and then recently when discussing plans for next year (newness had worn off...reality had set in). Her experience was similar to Jude's....she too thought the timeline cards were way to detailed. Her other comments were that it was very very well done, she really like the material presented, and thought it was a great idea. However, the actual implementation is a struggle. The information is so specific, that to make it relevant to the kids, she felt like she needed to build a program around it, rather than being able to "do" another program, and tie it together with CCM. Does that make sense? So to do a program like MP, it was hard to have CCM be the umbrella, because the material is too different. To do CCM, you would have to pull together your own materials that match the program, and then have it be the umbrella for it.

I am sorry for this to be hearsay, but I still thought her experience may be helpful to you.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Default Exactly

Yes, the information in CCM would seem to work better if you were using it as the spine and adding in your level of math, spelling, etc... There were a lot of resources suggested to use it as a guide for science. I was already happy with what we were doing in our other studies and didn't want to try to match it up with CCM. I like that in "Living Memory" he recommends waiting on using the selections until they can be applied to what they are studying. The Memoria Press complete curriculum materials may have enough memory work in them already. My oldest daughter was too old for any of them, so Campbell's book was a godsend. He has so much that I haven't come across elsewhere, like "Bible Ballad: The Books of the Bible." (Genesis--when we began; Exodus is when we ran; Leviticus is priestly lore. Numbers tells the sons we bore; With Deuteronomy, we close The tale of Moses, whom God chose. The Pentateuch is these books' name The Jewish Torah is the same.) And for little ones who are just starting in what we call "baby Latin": A father is pater, a mother is mater, A sister is soror, a brother is frater; A child should obey both his father and mother, And brothers and sisters should love one another.
    I have a couple of children that LOVE memory work, can't get enough of it. They have a much harder time with writing than their siblings, but give them something to memorize, and they are happy campers.
    Blessings,
    Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.

Thank you ladies! Very good input. I will definitely *put Living Memory on the list*. My daughter enjoys memory work too. I am always amazed at what she retains.
    Blessings,
    Theresa George