Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fleischdoc
    • Jun 2009

how to condense classical comp

I noticed in your online classes that you cover 4 levels of classical comp during the 9th grade year- I am just starting Narrative with my finishing up 8th grader and want to be sure she gets through the levels, so how do you cover a level in 8 weeks? I have been trying to speed her through by only spending 1 day on each lesson instead of 2, but that still doesn't take it to 8 weeks. She is a strong writer, so I feel she can handle a speeded up pace. Thanks for any advice!
    Lisa
  • tanya
    MP Representative
    • Feb 2009

Hello.

We are on a fast track too since we are just now adopting this program. We just don't do the entire book for older students. They cover as many lessons as they can in the 8 weeks in each book, and then, the following year, we pick the books back up and do a few more lessons for review.

I'm thinking we need to put together a program that gives you one book with a limited number of lessons in each stage for older students. It would be much more economical. I just need to get Mr. Selby's approval on this plan, and then we'll need the summer to put it together.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

• fleischdoc
      • Jun 2009

Thanks

A condensed version would be awesome! I would definitely buy it . Thanks for the information.
      Lisa

Comment

• Gloria
        • May 2012

high school comp

If MP is really considering publishing this, I would be very interested, as I was about to design my own! I would not be opposed using one written/published by MP, as I could be assured of its quality and save myself a lot of time & effort.......The only thing is, I am wanting it this coming school year.....

Comment

• tanya
          MP Representative
          • Feb 2009

I have a request in to Mr. Selby now. If he's okay with a condensed course, we'll put it together.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

• Gloria
            • May 2012

wondering

i read that you are indeed putting together the condensed comp guide. Do you have a rough idea when this will completed and what will be covered? Thank you.

Comment

• tanya
              MP Representative
              • Feb 2009

Hello.

The condensed guide will be for students beginning Classical Comp. in grades 8-10. It will include the following lessons: 1-4 in Fable, 1-4 in Narrative, 1-8 in Chreia-Maxim, 1-8 in Refutation/Confirmation, and 1-8 in Common Topic.

Beginning 6-7th graders will need to buy Fable, Narrative, and Chreia-Maxim packages for the first year, but they will complete all 3 of these books in the first 3 years of their work. We are going to sell a reduced-rate package for these students.

Beginning 4th-5th graders will just start with the Fable Stage and take a year to get through it, so they will be on track for doing 1 book a year.

I'm hoping to have this completed by end of summer.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

• jjzmbrown
                • Jun 2011

Beginning 6th graders

I have a 6th grader beginning Classical Composition this fall. Which lessons should she do in Fable, Narrative, and Chrea/Maxim?
                I already have the Fable and Narrative curriculums and had been looking through them wondering which lessons to leave out in order to do the increased pace.

Thank you,
                Janet

Comment

• tanya
                  MP Representative
                  • Feb 2009

Hello.

Our schedule for 6th graders is as follows:

Fable L. 1-16
                  Narrative L. 1-8
                  Chreia-Maxim L. 1-8

But if you want to spend half a year on Fable and the other half on Narrative, that is fine too. Then you won't have to buy another book this year.

You will finish up the lessons in the Fable and Narrative in the 2nd and 3rd years because you will begin each new year with a few lessons of review in each stage before approaching a new stage. So, eventually, you will do all the lessons in each book.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

• Gloria
                    • May 2012

comp.

Originally posted by tanya
                    Hello.

The condensed guide will be for students beginning Classical Comp. in grades 8-10. It will include the following lessons: 1-4 in Fable, 1-4 in Narrative, 1-8 in Chreia-Maxim, 1-8 in Refutation/Confirmation, and 1-8 in Common Topic.

I'm hoping to have this completed by end of summer.
                    Wonderful. This is just about perfect.

Comment

Working...