Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathanm
    • Jan 2012

Scope and sequence for first through fourth form

Memoria Press had a scope and sequence several years ago, before the latin forms had been written. It included references to Henle that brought the student through the grammar stage. I am wondering if and when there will be one to include the four forms.

I remember reading that the forms-once four is done-would be inclusive of all Latin grammar. Is this true?

The Memoria Press lessons are better, in my humble opinion, and i think learning the whole grammar in one style is best.
  • tanya
    MP Representative
    • Feb 2009

Hello.

The plan right now is to incorporate Henle I into Fourth Form Latin work. We will assign the portions of the Henle that students need to do in order to translate Caesar. And for students who are really motivated, they can start working in Henle I as early as Second Form. It is a lot though because the Forms get more difficult as the students learn more grammar. Cheryl Lowe has written a Henle syllabus to accompany Second Form for those students who want more work to do. I'll attach it to this post for you. When we incorporate Henle work into Fourth Form, it will be with the idea that when you finish the Forms alongside Henle I, you will be ready to move directly into a translation course.

Regards,

Tanya
    Attached Files

Comment

• Jonathanm
      • Jan 2012

Ok,so I guess that begs the question what content is in the four forms that is different from Henle?

Thanks

Comment

• tanya
        MP Representative
        • Feb 2009

Hello.

Our Forms series and Henle I both teach the Latin grammar. The difference in the Forms is that the students are given more practice with the workbook that contains 5-6 pages of exercises per lesson. We are moving at a slower pace than Henle I because we are focusing on mastery and lots of review and reinforcement, regular oral recitations, etc. So, when you finish the Forms, you are really ready to move into Henle II or another translation course of your choice. The Forms especially work better with younger children because of this slower-paced concentration on mastery. At our school, we begin Latin in 2nd grade, so our students would be ready for Henle in 4th grade, and that was just too young for Henle. For a high schooler or college student, either program will accomplish the same goal - a grounding in the Latin grammar. Many homeschoolers choose the Forms because we give the teachers help with our scripted lesson plans, dvds teaching the lessons, online classes, etc. It is much more user-friendly than Henle.

I hope this helps.

Tanya

Comment

Working...