Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christian Studies IV

Tanya...I got it and it looks great! I'll look forward to using it.

Default Additional Question

I was wondering what you meant specifically by "reading the overview". I purchased CSIV for my oldest two. I do feel it is a good fit, but I am struggling with how to use. I am having them read the sections on the Golden Children's Bible...
    Thanks, Krissi
    [QUOTE=tanya]Hello.

It would work fine for older students who haven't gone through CSI-III. Here's what I would do: Have them read the overview of, let's say, Genesis. Then, go to the drill questions, and see which ones they know the answers to. For the ones they don't know the answers to, have them look the stories up in the Bible and read them. Then, move on to Exodus. But, before you begin your study of Exodus, ask them all of the Genesis drill questions first. Hopefully, this time, they will know all the answers. If they don't, they need to learn them. You are looking for instant recall on these basic facts. So each week, it is good practice to begin your Christian studies class with a review of drill facts from previous weeks. You don't have to drill all of them, but I'd mark the ones they struggle with and keep asking them until they are in their permanent memory.

You can also have them memorize as many of the Bible verses as they can. The more knowledge they master, the more Biblical information they will have to draw from in their lives.

I hope this helps.

Tanya[/QUOTE]

Hello.

By 'overview' I meant the key people, key terms, outline of the book, etc. - all that stuff that is under the heading of each book. Help your student fill that in, and then move to the back of the book to the drill questions (I think they start on p. 90), and see what the student knows about the stories. Then, you'll know where you need to spend your time in the Bible.

Regards,

Tanya

i was wondering where the students can find some of the "overview" answers. for example: who is the author of the Book of Joshua? or what is the historical time period? or what the dates of Abraham were? etc... these are obviously not in the Bible, and I don't know what reference to steer them towards to find out.

I have a study Bible that has all of that information at the beginning of each book. I also have (somewhere) a book I bought several years ago that contains this sort of information for each book of the Bible as well as other ideas for introducing children to the Bible. If you do a little browse around your local Christian book store or a site like www.ChristianBook.com you can find resources like this. There is probably a website somewhere with the information as well.

But having a good Study Bible in your home is very helpful. They have maps, timelines, background info, footnotes, and all sorts of helpful things.

We feed the answers to the students in a lecture. I suppose this doesn't work as well in the home. Though I remember lecturing to my children on the meaning of the Declaration of Independence once. Then I noticed they were looking at me like I was crazy. It was working for me though...

We do this book in 6th grade as a review of the three previous years when the students have done Christian Studies I-III, and our goal is for them to master the drill questions and as much Scripture as they can, so the introductory lecture is really just a quick overview of the basics.

Regards,

Tanya