PDA

View Full Version : First Form or Henle

reedfam8
04-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I will be teaching a small group of high school students for credit. (I have used Latina I & II and Henle in the past)Does the First Form offer as much sentence translation as the Henle does? Also, would we do First and Second Form for Latin I credit? We only get to meet once a week, and I'm not sure which I want to use.

jeremiah213
04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
reedfam8,

No FF does not have as many translation exercise as Henle, indeed this would be a Herculean Feat, but FF does have far more translation than LCI or LCII. Especially if you are going to meet only once a week, I would recommend FF. They reason is, students can easily get bogged down in translation work, and miss the focus on grammar mastery. You don't need a ton of complicated translation to do the mental work necessary to really grasp how the language works. And besides, we teach Latin (somewhat ironically) in order for the students to master English, and so lots of translation can dilute the grammar focus to the detriment of the student. I think FF has just enough translation practice to reinforce the grammar. I have been teaching in it for 5 years now since I'm at MP's school here in Louisville and have been trying it out before it came to print, and recommend it above Henle, without reservation above Henle, that latter of which I have also used.

Glen Moore