PDA

View Full Version : Henle Credit question

Debi Stamey
03-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Would it be acceptable to give a high school credit to a student who completed 36 weeks of the Cheryl Lowe syllabus? I have heard that you should only give two credits for Henle I, but if you worked three years on it - And I mean worked - then could the hours count for the credit instead of the text?
Thank you,
Debi Stamey

magistra6
03-05-2006, 09:35 PM
You can count hours for credit in high school. Several Pennsyvania homeschool diploma programs, for example, count 120 hours as one high school credit. However, since the Lowe syllabus covers only units 1 & 2, I would call the course "Introduction to Latin" or "Latin I-A" rather than Latin I.

Debi Stamey
03-06-2006, 08:24 AM
I have read on this site that LC II is worth a highschool credit. I am almost finished with LC I with my 5th and 6th grader. Is LC II really comparable to Henle I units I - V??

magistra6
03-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Debi,
I would not consider LCII worth a high school credit. It might take 60 hours for a high schooler to complete, but not 120, so it might be counted as a half credit of introductory Latin. It is definitely not equivalent to Henle units I-V. It gives an introduction to a lot of things that are covered thoroughly in Henle, but doesn't teach a lot of things in Henle such as the perfect system, passive, 3rd declension adjectives, and the uses of all the cases. A student going from LCII would feel confident but not bored starting at the beginning of Henle.

Debi Stamey
03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your input. It has been very helpful.
Blessings,
Debi Stamey